Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
How old are you and what are you coming in as (e-1,2,or 3)? There's this 32 year old e-1 in my class now and I have to wonder how hosed your life is if you join at that age at the lowest rank possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

We have a reservist who is really close to 40 in class. Cool dude. Just ancient.

Jesus dude I thought he was closer to 30. My age-dar is all off

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Welcome back to high school.

Edit: not meant to be snarky. I mean you'll be the literal adult in the room around a bunch of children who are on their first summer (in november) camp away from mommy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Laranzu posted:

I need to go back to an Intel weenie base. Try to hit the gym and there are 40 marine booters beating each other off on each piece of equipment.

Guess they need their weekend pump to go impress the pcola ladies or something

http://terminallance.com/2010/01/26/terminal-lance-7-good-reasons-to-not-go-to-the-gym/

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Noeland posted:

Was he special enough to marry a girl who worked at a Buy-me-drinkie bar in Sasebo? Had an OSC on the ship that did just that. Found out because he made the mistake of telling his sailors which bar she "bartended" at before we made a port call there.

That is a very upsetting story.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Gotta instill that hatred of chiefs early.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

I feel like being in the Navy is just a job. I also feel like any extra hours spent outside of work with my co-workers is just potential to get in trouble for something. I can't wait to fill out the command climate survey and talk about how much I don't care about my shipmates.

Best part about every command climate survey is the lower enlisted detailing why things are hosed up and that the leadership sucks and leadership reading it and telling us we're wrong and that nothing is going to change. We had a coordinated campaign of naming names and detailing specific events that were cause for our grievances. The inspector general got involved and it turned out that our security posture was so poor (AT AN INTEL COMMAND LOL) and our leadership was so hosed and we didn't even have a mission that we were going to be decommissioned.

Then we got a new CO and he changed lots of poo poo and things got better. THE END

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Look if you don't see your CO and get the gently caress out of the way in the first place then I don't know what to tell you. Then again my CO was a 6'5 albino gorilla on a fast attack submarine.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Anyone have the quote from Admiral Mahan about ships being awful and anyone that wants to go on one is terrible?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What about peepee breaks? I guess you aren't allowed to have coffee pots in classrooms. We have some stupidity every now and then but with the course being administered by awesome civilians such as me we are mostly immune.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zotix posted:

Crossposting from the Ask us about joining the military thread.

Question, I'm planning on going to MEPs a week from today for the Navy. I'm really, really hoping for CTN to be available. My scores qualify, I've got my Bachelor's(although not in an IT related field), etc. If it's available, I should see it, right? My questions are, if it's not available is the Navy able to "pull" a job, like the Army recruiter was claiming two years back that they could do? Also, what happens if I go down there, don't see CTN, and go home? Can the recruiter refuse to take me down there the following month?

I really, really do not want to go down and sign for a job that isn't interesting.

First of all, if the detailer tells you CTN is not available, tell him to gently caress off and try again because we want more CTNs. I won't go into detail (OPSEC) but if that's the job you want that's the job you hold out for. If your recruiter won't take you again he's a lovely recruiter because he still needs that +1 from you joining.

Don't be like my friend's nephew who went in wanting CTN, detailer said it wasn't available and dude chose nuke ET.

Real answer don't enlist with a degree.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Go officer.

But if you are dead set on CTN, don't settle. Right now advancement is insanely high (think e-4 to e-5, etc) because people get good training, good experience, and good contacts, which leads to people getting out after first or second enlistment to get swank jobs (reference: I did that). I don't know how detailing works but I'm pretty sure if you want to be CTN there will be a slot for you.

Edit: To the recruiter you are a number he needs to fill a quota. He can be pissed at you all day long but if you join that's a win for him. He might be mad that +1 won't go in this month's quota but it will go somewhere.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 25, 2014

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zotix posted:

I'm sorry, what exactly does hard fill rating mean?

I'm likely going to talk to an officer recruiter sometime this week, but likely I'll go to MEPS and do the thing and see if CTN is available. If it's not, I'll try again the next month. I really hope it's available.

Would October 1st be more likely to see what I want, as that's the beginning of the fiscal year? Or would that not matter much?

Check your PMs buddy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a canned food drive where every item you brought in counted as 1 volunteer hour. Literally buy your way to promotion.

This is the greatest thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

PneumonicBook posted:

And yet the navy won't let me cross rate over to it. Instead they'd rather just straight up lose me. I suppose it's better that way.

Lol what is the reason? We have goddamn chiefs crossrating.

• Locked thread