Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
loving Miata just ate a cam or crank seal...
Yes I wanted to do a timing belt on my nice long weekend :suicide:

Ugh. The Miata is our newest car and it's almost 20 years old... I think I'm buying a new(ish) car soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Get used to making the shifts nice and crisp, getting used to the clutch engagement point, then minimize using the clutch as much as possible. The less you slip it the longer it will last.

Stalling will happen, hell if I go from the BMW to the Miata, I'll either stall it or slip the clutch too much because of how different both cars are.

I put the car in a lower gear and clutch out before the turn, lots of people will clutch out mid turn, I learned not to do this by driving in the snow, as you'll end up swapping ends.

I also like the cheater way of hill starts by using the parking brake (if it is hand operated). This further minimizes slipping the clutch.

You could always throw on a lightweight flywheel and unsprung 6 puck clutch on a heavy pressure plate, that'll teach you not to slip the clutch :v:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I know we've got some ACVW fans here, have you all checked today's blipshift shirt?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

It took me 3 days of about 6 hours of work each to do the timing belt on the Miata. Of course monsoons started so its been around 105° with 75% humidity, as if my garage wasn't hot enough.

I feel that everything that could go wrong did, wrong parts from the store, stripped fasters (one was ground down from the water pump pulley), busted my knuckles pretty badly, and to top it all off, a coolant fitting on the tstat housing broke. It would have required to pull everything apart again to replace it (covers, timing belt, cam gears, etc), so I kludged a fixed with a brass T. It happened when only 2 hoses and the intake plumbing were the only thing left to do.

And then one of the pump surfaces leaked after reassembly/first start. Luckily I only had to remove the intake and PS pump to get to it to tighten it up.

215k miles on it and it is really beginning to show. I'm thinking of putting the enkeis and cheap coilovers on it and selling it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I read Go Like Hell since some folks here were talking about it here. I really really enjoyed it.

It was a little dry at times, but man the races more than made up for it!!!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

So far we're having a proper monsoon season with horizontal rain, pushing haboobs to Phoenix, ridiculous electrical storms, etc.

When I first moved here the monsoon rains were so strong that major roads became rivers, I had to remove the CAI on my car, my roommate lost his engine to a wash (as did his boss the day earlier), and we got a 22re Toyota pick up come in to the shop with a soaking wet air filter. It became a nice fountain while cranking it over with the plugs out. New plugs, oil, and filters and it was back to business.

Yesterday the power cut out at work and I learned our fancy new Haas mill will keep spinning for over 5 minutes with no power. I ended up stopping it by rubbing a dead blow hammer on the tool holder because I'm impatient. Tonight on the way home the thunder and lightning was amazing, and it started lightly raining again.

I loving love this place especially now that I live in a house with a nice dry AC instead of a worthless swamp cooler.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Multiquoting on the phone sucks so I hope I don't miss anything.

Highest bill so far was $125, which is comparable to my old place where the swamp cooler ran 24/7 on high ($70-90 electrical bill, and about $30-40 increase in water bill).

House is 1300sqft with a 2.5 ton AC unit/heatpump, vaulted ceilings in every room, all recent double pane windows, and what appears to be original fiberglass insulation in the crawlspace.

I bought the fancy Honeywell programmable, mostly because a 3 degree temp swing sucks, but I sure wish it tracked as much data as the nest.

The house will be at 85° by around 1030am if I let it, which is what we keep it at when no one is home. I think it hasn't been super expensive because I keep it at 78 when I'm home, 77 when the girl is home, and 76 when we have guests over. The master bedroom and living room have some really nice fans that make a huge difference. Another thing that helps is in the old house, we struggled to be under 85° during the monsoons, and it was incredibly sticky inside the house, so for me 78° feels comfortable.

Another thing I love about AC is our chips and snacks last soooo much longer without getting stale. I need to insulate the garage though, as it gets disgusting in there. The ceiling is uninsulated and neither is the garage door. We've got a same as cash home depot offer that I think I'm going to use to buy a swamp cooler and put it on wheels for the garage.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Motronic posted:

Those two things don't usually go together. If you are in a high humidity area (which is sounds like it if if you're getting bendy snacks without AC) a swamp cooler is going to be pretty inefficient.

I'm in Tucson AZ, except for monsoon season, it is stupid dry out here. If I had a choice I'd have an AC system and evap cooler for the house. In the spring and fall, basically when it is still under 100° with low humidity, they work magnificently.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Looks like I'm one of the people selected by work for a free trip to Farnborough Air Show next week as a rewards/recognition perk. :toot:

That's cool!

If you stop by the Raytheon exhibit you can see a lot of the stuff I've worked on :ssh:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Cage posted:

I went to 2 walmarts and neither had 5w20 Rotella. :mad:

Dude...
Rotella is diesel oil, you won't find it in anything thin. Hell I don't think they make different weights.
It's good with old motors, especially flat tappet ones, but I think they were required to bring zinc levels down so they're supposedly not as good anymore.

Just buy the mobil1 jugs.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Phone posted:

Oh well, $700. (the differential is worth $1000 :ssh: )

What year?
Is it a torsen?

I'm thinking of joining the cool kids and making an Exocet with my NA, when I buy another car to replace it's duty as a DD.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

It's a catte

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Week old cam seals in Miata started leaking.

Stripped out a front strut yesterday.

These are the least service friendly disc brakes I've ever done.

Somebody kill me.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Yep, all new when I did the timing belt, water pump, seals, and all assorted goodness.

I have never had so many issues with regular maintenance on a car before.

At least it doesn't ping with the ac on in 100°+ weather anymore

Also looks like the ac compressor front seal started leaking.

:suicide:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

There's gotta be places that do that local to you. There's at least 2 places that do it in Tucson.

I own a vast majority of cheap tools, and I can't see ever really selling them.

I'd have to be jobless, and unable to work with them, because I can always make money wrenching on the side.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Aren't you QA at a Ford plant?

I'm sure you could have at least interviews lined up for when you move. I could of sworn I remember hearing about lots of machine shops and the like needing help.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

@Devyl

Again, I'm sure you'll be fine job wise since you're in manufacturing.

Just don't mention the recall stuff.
(And don't mention the "dirt" you have on your current employer)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

rscott posted:

One of about three people in my life who I care deeply about thinks I'm a worthless piece of poo poo and it kind of makes me want to consume a vast amount of mind numbing substances

I've been there.
I wish I could say something to make it better but I can't.

All I can say is move on with your life and pick up something new to do, and hopefully you'll find someone to replace them with.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Sorry for your loss STR.

I dread the day our first dogs go. Our terrier is 15yrs old, and the poodle almost 14.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I never knew that about those stands. I only have one of those left, the rest have dissappeared.

This is my first time having a garage to work in, so before my stands were always in dirt/gravel. I always leave the jack extended under the car, and if a wheel comes off, it goes under the car as well.

If you rock it, it shouldn't really move. I only get weirded out if I'm torquing the crap out of a vertical bolt that could possibly shift the car.

Cakefool, I think the ones posted are thin sheet metal with a tube and pin for the height, not a heavy cast "T" like most of the current ones.

Edit: baller wtf is that? Try a BMW widowmaker instead!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

"My" Miata has AC because it's my lady's DD. She's very light skinned and burns easily, and being 110° outside doesn't help.

Looks like the compressor front seal is starting to weep as well, which really bugs me because I replaced practically everything else AC wise 1.5 years ago.

Just did new struts, timing belt, water pump, belts, brake rotors and pads, and all sorts of other stuff recently. Looks like we're keeping it a while longer.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

$120k!?

I've been looking at commercial properties for the last few hours, I can't find a single story place with a roll up door for that here!!!

Still don't think I could live in Indiana.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

That's why I don't go to any Miata forums except to buy and sell poo poo.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

E2M2 posted:

2014 Honda Accord. It was early in the morning, 5AM or so. Traveling from San Francisco to Sacramento.

2014?

I'd be at the dealership raising hell!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Chop saw with a carbide blade or something is what I'm starting to lean towards. Will be noisy and dusty as hell but that's kind of expected.

Don't do this. Stainless is stupidly sensitive to coolant/lubrication and rate of cut. Go with an abrasive cut off saw. It's messy and stupid loud but you don't have to lubricate it. Just go hog wild.

Wear ear and eye protection, and you can buy a cheap one at harbor freight.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Are they super old school with one fuel and ignition computer per bank? If not, have you checked the distributor rotor on the dead side?

Are you getting spark on the dead side?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I would have told the Subaru guy $400 at that point.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Is that code for selling the Land Rover?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So apparently I am unable to rent a flaring tool that isn't complete loving garbage. First one couldnt center the hole, second one's yoke is all mangled so it won't smash down the second stage of the flare. I want to go back to the parts store and bounce this piece of poo poo off that douchebag's face. This poo poo should have been done last week.

Buy one from harbor freight? It's probably the same one they rent out but at least you'll be the one loving it up.

Last I looked the double flare tool was $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Or go full AI and use carb cleaner.

*cringe*

• Locked thread