Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

My girlfriend's '01 Subaru Forester is just a jankheep. I just replaced the front rotors and pads, and noticed the half-shaft was dead. All four shocks are dead and one spring is showing some worrying signs of penetrative rust. The automatic trans shifts worryingly hard despite having fresh fluid and the engine has developed worrying, clattering noise I initially thought was a loose heatshield but I haven't been able to pin down. All the window and door seals have perished and the clearcoast is mostly stripped away, with rust spots peeking out on the edges of some of the sheet metal.

Try to keep it running, with no garage access; or convince her to start trying to somehow find a replacement?

Well...Can she afford a replacement car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm 25 and my metabolism is still really quick. If I don't watch what I eat, I can eat half or an entire large pizza in one sitting.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sigma X posted:

Hell no she can't afford a new car. She can barely afford the parts I'm currently putting into keeping this thing moving under its own power.

My girlfriend is in a similar situation. I'd probably keep my eye out for a replacement for now but put what you can to keep her Forester running. I'd be wary of putting too many parts into it because eventually it's going to cost as much as a replacement.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Got my new 2014 Focus titanium hatchback and walked with it for 22 after tax. :toot:

Congrats!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I did a thing.

Sorry for the crappy photo, 2014 Subaru Outback. Most likely the last manual Outback that they will have.

I have a new enemy right now, slight inclines/hills. Didn't stall out too much once I got on the street though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I thought the Subarus have the hill holder thing again.

It does but you have to turn it on every time you start the car and I forgot. :(

angryhampster posted:

You'll learn to e-brake or heel/toe as you get more used to the friction point in the clutch. After driving my 6 for 4 years I don't remember the last time I bogged it on a hill.

That's really reassuring. I think tomorrow my dad is going to take me to his work. They have a hill that's barely used that I'm going to practice on.

Are the new outbacks considered station wagons still?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So a new potential job has popped up for double what I make now + full benefits. But if I take it and it doesn't work out I'll be hosed. New job would be pretty active, lots of walking, heavy lifting and my leg acts up if I stay on my feet too long. It's sill very tempting because gently caress this gay comic bullshit.

Aren't there plans for a move in the future for you?

I was able to drive to the store and back without stalling out the Outback. :feelsgood:

My shifts still need some work but that'll come with time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend used to have a '92 Honda Civic. It was pretty rusted out but it ran like a champ. He wrecked it last year unfortunately. It had a certain charm about it even if it was pretty basic.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Buy that car and bring it back to life. I think you would regret it if you part it out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

It's 700 miles each way, so 2 day minimum. And I'd want to see my dad and stepmom for a few days while I was out there, since I only get to see them every couple of years. Same with some high school friends.

Honestly I'd love to de-rice it a bit - unfortunately, the entire car was repainted with the body kit, in a non-stock color (some variant of Lexus gray), so the de-ricing would be a little painful. Aside from the body poo poo, the car really was built decent. Get rid of the hood and spoiler and the body's not bad; 5k on the clutch, cams, rockers, and CV joints.

Engine has cams + VAFC, and I seem to remember something about upgraded valve springs.

The biggest thing would be talking my stepdad into letting me borrow his F-150 for a week. He's... not so good with a manual, and tall enough that he can barely fit in my car anyway. Amd he's specifically excluded from my insurance - I tried to add him, and my rates went up $200/6 months. Added mom, rates dropped by $150/6 months.. even though she doesn't even drive anymore. :stare:

I'd prefer a flat dolly simply because it's been sitting for several years. The tires are still inflated, but I'm sure there's flat spots. And seeing as the speed limit on I-10 is 85....

You don't have to de-rice it right away. You can do it piece by piece. You may get some funny looks but I doubt that car was riced to begin with in a day.

I know this option will cost more but have you considered renting a car for your stepfather to use while you have his truck? You could get him into something bigger with an automatic transmission.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
On the road, the motorcycle diaries, and maybe fear and loathing in Las Vegas should be added to the AI reading list.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

kastein posted:

Come to the northeast and you can experience this every day for several months in the summer.

Makes me glad I work in an air conditioned office + shop these days. :feelsgood:

The only problem for me is that they tend to turn the air conditioning up too high and I end up wearing a hoodie in the middle of the summer

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Female to male transsexual, pre-op. Surgery is scheduled for next week, finally, and paid for by my insurance. DAMNIT OBAMA, WHY DID YOU LET ME GET CHEAP INSURANCE?!

I wonder how well the vagina to penis part will go? It'd be neat to jizz. :allears: I'm gonna have to learn how to shave my face instead of everything else though.

Good luck with the surgery. Don't feel obligated to shave, some people like that. :D.

Rhyno posted:

He's not working at all right now, and his COBRA benefits just ran out so he's still waiting to hear back on the MERICACare bullshit. He has a substantial savings and has so many health issues he thinks it'd be more worthwhile to spend the year living life rather than treating it again. This is the second time now and he nearly died last time.

And he wants to leave me all his poo poo when he dies. I didn't know how to react to that at all.

This is all a lot to take in man. I found this article about a year ago:

http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2011/11/30/how-doctors-die/ideas/nexus/

And here's a similar podcast:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/262588-bitter-end/

This is a heavy topic but I think they're both worth checking out. After watching my mom suffer in the last month or so of her life, I've debated getting the "No code" tattoo myself.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I hope you're doing okay STR. My one pug is turns 10 next month and I get a little worried about him sometimes. He still moves well and he's very lovable but I can tell he's starting to lose his hearing. He used to go crazy when people fired off fireworks during the fourth of July but this year he slept right through them.

My other dog is kind of like your cat. He was abused at a puppy mill and left to die in the wild. He fights with my older dog (he's like 6 - 7 himself). He isn't well behaved and tries to bite me frequently. He's cute and kind of lovable too. He'll try to bite you and then he'll start following you around begging for food. Dogs are weird.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Well, sitting in the ER with 170/120 and a pulse of 150. Things are off to a fantastic start, right? :haw:

I was in a similar situation almost 2 years ago. It was a real wake up call to change my eating habits and overall lifestyle. I hope things workout well for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are there any android apps that can be used to track mpg? Or do you guys just use a spread sheet?

• Locked thread