Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

What is a double down?

e: oh god

When you get right down to it, a double down is just a southern-style Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

I ate three scotch eggs for dinner yesterday. I felt like I was going to die.

Worth it, though.

I had 4 Sunday night, made with Chorizo and double-breaded.

That's 4 boiled eggs and an entire pound of sausage, deep fried.

Worth it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I need to rewatch the Bolivia special, it's probably my single favorite piece of nonfiction TV programming.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ordered parts (dealer only) to do front struts on the Protege.

One pair each of struts, bushings and upper turn plates.

$750 after discounts. :emo:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I first learned to drive stick on what is now my daily driver, back in 2005 or so when I first started driving. My mom taught me, it went pretty smooth except for a particularly embarrassing moment when I couldn't get it moving for like five minutes... until we both simultaneously realized I had it in 3rd, not 1st. :doh:

Of course, a year later when i was alone I attempted to do a burnout: Full throttle and slipping the clutch. Smelled fantastic. The clutch died a few months later at 30k and that's when we got a Taurus for me to drive. :bravo:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Worst clutch I've ever dealt with was a customer's 370Z. Had a really high bite point, but also a really weird spring curve. Very weak at the bottom (I assume to make it easy to keep the clutch held,) but got like 5x stronger going up right as you hit the engagement point. Made it extremely difficult to pull in; I stalled the loving thing like 20 times trying to get it lined up and on the lift.

I'm sure it's a great setup for racing/drag launches, but absolutely sucks for driving and maneuvering at parking lot speeds.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tommychu posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell Hawk doesn't make anything for my application, nor does Axxis. Though I just found out Raybestos does make ATD-series front brakes for this thing. I'm quite impressed with the ATDs on the Vibe, but that car is sitting on 4% larger than stock diameter tires and doesn't have any major factors (beyond my excessive fast-food consumption and slight packrat tendencies) increasing the weight, the Kia is on a 20% larger than stock tire and is getting some rather heavy bumpers and an '80s-era Ramsey winch (along with all the gear I'll be packing).

Diameter or section width? Diameter is gonna have no appreciable effect on braking performance (unless you do it to fit bigger brakes but that's its own thing). Or do you just mean the increased rotating mass?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^Yeah, we don't get that luxury where I live.

freelop posted:

For the people with AC, supposing you didn't have AC what does the temperature actually get up to?

I'm in central Florida. My A/C went out back in May. After a couple days it was up to high 80s inside, and unbearably humid, and that was before summer proper had started (ie daily afternoon thunderstorms.) Again, only a few days; with STR's advice I managed to bodge it together enough to run it for a day every couple days until the A/C guys could get out to us.

Even fans didn't help; it was just blowing the hot, sticky air right back on you. Our fridge is brand new, but even so it was stuggling to keep the inside temp below 40; any hotter and we'd have had spoiled food like STR mentioned.

Mechanical A/C is an absolute necessity anywhere it gets humid regularly (the entire South). At least we don't really worry about heating bills here, most years there's maybe 2-4 weeks where it's cold enough to need more than sweatpants and socks to be comfortably warm.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was once helping our alignment tech to loosen a really badly frozen tie rod (because I'm a fat gently caress so I straight up had more weight to put on the biggest wrench that would fit). Well, he had his face a bit too close behind me, and when it finally let go my arm shot back and drove my elbow straight into his cheek. :gonk:

Luckily he realized it was his gently caress-up, some of our less cool-headed coworkers would have tried to beat my rear end over it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The one thing I'll say about Florida is that the daily thunderstorms tend to keep the heat from building up too much; we're at about a constant 90F/32C high all this week, albeit at 77% humidity.

Then again, it's loving awesome when it's bright and sunny until about 3pm, then a storm dumps rain on pavement that's been baking all day. Rain stops after about 15 minutes later, and all that moisture flashes to steam and goes right back into the air -- so now it's a few degrees cooler, but 100% humidity!

You know it's gonna be a bad day when you go outside and you can see the haze in the air. You can see about a mile farther during winter when the air is dry.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Note that every one of those trucks has ugly rear end powder-coated painted rims with low-profile offroad tires.

Low-profile offroad tires.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm so glad I finally fixed my Jeep's AC. I don't what anyone says, driving with the windows down doesn't make it any cooler. Then you're just blowing hot air in your face.

I was inspired to fix the A/C on my Blazer last year after driving in the rain once. Yeah, defrost doesn't work so well when it's basically blowing steam and the windows are being actively cooled by rain.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You're harshing on his aesthetic, brah.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Now you sound like the guys from Project Binky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

When this was linked a few weeks back, I was very sad when I reached the last video and they weren't done yet.

OTOH, something to look forward to! (In a month when the next update goes up)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, all of the sudden my mom has decided that we're going to sell the Lexus... before the registration renewal comes due.

IN A WEEK.

So now I get to squeeze under the car and go through the ordeal of replacing the O2 sensor -- again -- this time with the OE Denso instead of Bosch, in the hopes that it will get the CEL to go away, and the TCS lights that come on with it (because the ECU can't control engine throttle with 100% precision for traction control with a sensor out, so rather than settle for 80% or whatever, clearly the best choice is to disable it entirely), so we can turn off the scary yellow lights and hopefully get someone to buy this piece of poo poo.

Then there's the TPMS light which has been on for years despite repeatedly verifying correct pressure. I had the shop check it when they changed the oil last week; their scanner detected a signal from the sensors, but could not read the data. :psyduck: I've used that exact tool when I was at sears, on another SC430, and it read just fine. So the sensors are probably hosed after 10 years. Nothing for it, I'm we're not paying $2-300 for new sensors plus whatever tire dismount fee to replace them.

gently caress my life.

E: And if we can't sell it by then we're drat well keeping it another year so she gets her $100 worth or whatever, despite having no driveway space (she's currently parking her Fiesta under a tree on the other corner of the house). And the radiator is starting to crust with coolant residue so THAT'S coming soon... fuckin A.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you not get refunds on unused registration fees in your state?

I

had never considered that. I'll look into it. Anyone know the answer to this in Florida?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Florida hasn't had emissions (or safety, for that matter) inspections in decades now.

It's also filled with criminals and the Worst People Alive. Sorry, Fucknag.

I, too, am sorry to live here. Every day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is there any place that everyone would agree is awesome to live? In general, or for cars specifically. I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, maybe Colorado; legal weed and Pike's Peak, can't be all that bad. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rain? Let me reiterate: Florida.

Granted, it's a different sort of rain, but if I couldn't handle some wet roads, I'd be... the typical driver around here, actually, let's be honest.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Viggen posted:

I was about to tell you but all but the ultra-retarded hasn't given a gently caress for more than a decade. Then I remembered you are in Oz, which is about 20 years behind.

Listen I know about your accident but that's no excuse for not paying attention to any single news report coming from a place like, say, Fox News.

The average American may be more open-minded, but good old fashioned bigotry is very much alive and well and to claim otherwise is naive at best.

E: I mean, gently caress, they recently ran a story where some university switched from "family" to "all-gender" restrooms, and were literally throwing their hands up in frustration about how hard the sign was to understand and how children would be confused!1!!1

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, I only meant more than in the past.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok but think practically: Where are you going to store 3,000 pairs of socks?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think we all have Sock dreams in this subforum. If you catch my drift.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What if we could combine jorts with socks?

Call them Jocks.

No, wait, that's not right...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Farewell STR catte; STR human take care of yourself, I know that poo poo's rough. We put our dog down in February, I'm mostly over it but I still feel sad occasionally, like seeing people post about poo poo their dogs do and I think "Haha, she totally does that... or used to. dammit."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Before getting under it, have a concentrated attempt to push it off them. Always make sure it's securely supported.

This, grab the car and shake like you're actually trying to knock it off the jack stands (which you are using of course). If it doesn't fall then, it won't fall on its own or when you bump it with your head.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For the coldest freezing point you should go 60/40, but since 50/50 gives you -40C (-40F as well) I just go with that since it's easier to mix. After reading a test a few years back where they noticed that none of the pre-mixed ones held up to their rating (the freezing point was substantially warmer than rated on all), I always mix my own. The test showed the same for pre-mixed washer fluid.

It's also cheaper if you mix it yourself. $16 of concentrate + $1 distilled water (ALWAYS USE DISTILLED) vs 2x$14 for the same amount of premixed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RE: Drum brakes, it's not just the increased heat retention that makes them overheat, but also the fact that the drum physically expands away from the shoes so they can't grip it as hard. Disc brakes don't have this problem, as the rotor expands into the pads.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So, a few days ago I swapped my hard drive into a new(er) computer, which involved an OS reinstall because for some reason it didn't like the new hardware and got caught in a boot loop. Whatever, done it before, no big deal.

So just now I'm typing up a lab report for my chem class. 2 hours of work, finished about a half hour ago, hadn't saved. Literally as I'm going to print, the screen locks up, then I see Chrome crash in the background, before every window closes and the computer shuts itself down.

Turns out it decided that 3:37 AM while the computer is in use is a loving dandy time to install, not just an update, but a loving Windows 7 service pack. With no warning, no popup, no option to delay it, just "gently caress ALL YOUR poo poo AND EVERYTHING YOU'RE WORKING ON, I'M GONNA PLAY WITH MYSELF FOR THE NEXT HALF HOUR."

Luckily I was able to recover the document intact, but I spent the whole time flipping out not knowing if it would or not, so I'm pissed anyway.

COMPUTERS

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

neckbeard posted:

Someone had posted a clean R32 GT-R in the Awesome poo poo thread and I was wondering do you guys in the US get the R32s now that they're 25 years old, or are they still banned from the whole Motorex fiasco?

The under-aged GT-Rs were never any more illegal than any other overseas car. There's no law on the books specifically banning JDM Nissan Skyline GT-Rs, they just got a hell of a lot more scrutiny due to Motorex et al.

You'd have the same problem with a plane-jane Skyline, or any other ordinary commuter car that was never sold here, or sold in a different form that didn't meet federal standards.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Let's rephrase: It's not yours or an individual person's, therefore gently caress it.

Other peoples' stuff deserves respect just as your own does, but big rental companies can eat a dick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hit 91F at 62% humidity today, calculated heat index of 104.

Of course, that's outside; inside my car with a black interior? My A/C works great, but it's somewhat ineffective when my armrest is still noticably radiating heat after a 15-minute drive. :v:

My loving sunglasses steamed up when I got in to go to school.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Protip: If you ever wanna get a part-time job... don't be a mechanic. I'm going to school, and every listing/place I call wants full-time availability, mon-sat.

I get why that is, but it kind of loving sucks when I'm looking for a job that won't pay poo poo and I actually have experience in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It sounds like a GT40. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEGUwvBG3rQ&t=100s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Give me details... I've always wanted to make a 1.8t Beetle fast, with daisy wheels.

Do you happen to have a helicopter to drop it from?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrChips posted:

That doesn't sound flat crank at all - some sort of funky exhaust routing maybe.

Juuuust burbly enough not to be flat-plane. It's a hell of a screamer, though.

Have they put long-tube headers in cars like that from the factory before?

My dream is all-out 180 degree headers, but in a mass-produced car there's no loving way, ever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm currently in a discussion on FB with a former coworker. He's convinced that the Mustang is gonna go to FWD eventually, because "fuel economy" and "investors" and "the market is changing".

Also a used GT-R is a better deal than any American sports car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

FWD Mustang nearly did happen as far as I recall, was even in running prototype stage (before morphing to the Probe) - The 80's were a weiiiiiiiiiird time. But I seriously doubt it'll happen now.

This was my stance. There's absolutely no benefit to it. You've already got 2 FWD sport compacts in the lineup along with the SHO, and if you wanted something mid-size (which the Mustang is, let's face it) it would be peanuts to drop, say, the 2.3 EB into the Fusion. There is nothing to gain by making what is essentially Ford's halo car FWD, and plenty to lose from the enthusiast market, which I'd wager makes up a disproportionate percentage of Mustang buyers compared to other models.

And yeah, I knew about and mentioned the Probe; he turned it around and said "see theyve done it before, its only a matter of time before they try it again". I dipped out soon after that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

Pretty much - the current RWD Mustang is an absolute league beyond any FWD for performance. Big FWD for performance and a halo car is just loving insane, the Mustang plate would end right then and there.

In the 80's however, it made some kind of vague sense - the 80's Stang's were loving bad and slow, it was a smaller car so going to a FWD platform wouldn't have been so much of a difference, FWD turbos were actually quicker than the sad poo poo V8's were. You wanted performance? You wouldn't look at a Mustang, a FWD model really would have been a big improvement and frankly the Probe was a good car when it arrived.

80's != 2014 thankfully.

Yeah 80s were a dark time for performance in general, and especially in America, where the Grand National was the massive exception to the rule.

Blows my mind that it took so long for turbos to catch on in American marques. You had the GN, Mustang SVO, Omni GLH-S, Typhoon/Syclone trucks, and then... basically nothing of note until the SRT-4 came along a decade later. It's not like the tech wasn't there, the 80s and 90s are when turbos really came into their own in street applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As a former sears employee i can tell you with great authority that Valvoline Premium Motor Oilsİ provide superiour lubrication and longevity, especially in high-heat, high-friction applications.

• Locked thread