Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fucknag posted:

When you get right down to it, a double down is just a southern-style Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Even by fast food standards it's oversalted though, and the sauce is disgusting. It was an awesome idea that was executed poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Has anyone ever had a head gasket leak coolant to the outside on installation, and then stop during breakin?
The prick left about a half ounce puddle the morning after I filled it (did not run at that point) and was obviously continuing to leak, I pulled plugs and stuck a borescope down all the holes and my pistons were dry, and the vehicle had to loving move that day so I said gently caress it I'll do something about it later. Since I got it running and started the break-in process it hasn't leaked a drop, despite multiple attempts to find it with a pressure tester.
Graphite HGs are basically possessed?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 3, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Devyl posted:

Sounds like you forgot the Permatex :cheeky:

But seriously though, did you check to see if the heads need decking?

Block and head were both decked. The leak itself is much less of a mystery than the leak magically stopping.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

they're already doing another one? Didn't the xbone just come out?

They're kinda splitting it up, Horizon is the "take a poo poo on the physics and beef up the graphics" Need for Speed competitor version, whereas Forza (number) is the Gran Turismo competitor.
I'd have really liked Horizon for the beautiful open-world poo poo (oh and the soundtrack is way better) if they'd left the physics even remotely believable and left at least a little tuning capability in it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

When I started doing tires (basically my first real job) I didn't know how to drive stick, and after a while I got sick of having to grab somebody every time I needed to get a manual vehicle into a bay. I started with easy ones like '90s Civics and Mazdas, letting my fear of having to buy a customer a new clutch regulate my feet, and it must have worked well because I bought my first manual and with that experience alone I took to it like a fish in water. I've only owned two slushboxes since (one because it was that or a bus pass and the other because it was too good a deal to pass up).

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I had a power nap under a third gen Firebird at the junkyard one time. I was pulling the rear axle for my Camaro because it had a posi and the non-lovely disc brakes, but I had also been drinking heavily the previous night and hadn't slept at all so I wasn't exactly motivated to remove it quickly.
Woke up an hour later and panicked when I realized my tool bag was on the passenger's seat, luckily it was still there intact.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What's the general opinion on EBC, specifically the Greenstuff 6000 line? I had my first real drive in the Sportage yesterday and the brakes are clearly not up to the task of stopping this prick as quickly as I'd like it to with 31x10.50s on it. It seems like these pads are pretty much the only option I've got to upgrade without major fab work but I'm super leary on these :pcgaming: "performance" brake companies.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah as far as I can tell Hawk doesn't make anything for my application, nor does Axxis. Though I just found out Raybestos does make ATD-series front brakes for this thing. I'm quite impressed with the ATDs on the Vibe, but that car is sitting on 4% larger than stock diameter tires and doesn't have any major factors (beyond my excessive fast-food consumption and slight packrat tendencies) increasing the weight, the Kia is on a 20% larger than stock tire and is getting some rather heavy bumpers and an '80s-era Ramsey winch (along with all the gear I'll be packing).

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wanna talk about seized poo poo? I've been working on nothing but salt spreaders for the last 2 weeks. :suicide:
it took a a little over 10 hours to get the tranny yoke off on this clutch job I'm on right now, had to torch it to within 1/4" of the OP shaft and then it came with the 1" gun on the yoke puller. Tranny yokes generally have enough clearance that you just slide them off once the nut comes off.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 10, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

At least people don't blame you for breaking out the blue tipped wrench, big hammers, and getting downright medieval with poo poo on those, right? I mean, hexagonal nuts aren't even hexagonal anymore half the time on equipment like that. Or round. Or even still on this plane of existence.

When appropriate, yes (see my edit to that post). But trucks are generally pretty bad for having harnesses full of a mix of synflex ("spaghetti") air lines and tiny, sensitive wires running right next to the most seized bolt on the whole drat thing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Here's that yoke I was talking about yesterday. I initially just threw it as hard as I could into the steel bin out of a mix of anger and triumph, but had to dig it out today to use as a sample since the first one I got from the parts guy was wrong, so I figured ehh, might as well get some trophy shots out of it too.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It seems Boss is actually a really good oil. Average base oil, good additive pack and it's the cheapest stuff you can get at most places. I'm doing break-in on the Kia with it.
Other oilchat: Anyone know if the :pcgaming: Natural Gas Based Pennzoil Platinum is much different from the original? My 1ZZ absolutely hates almost everything else-the lifters and valve seals are very picky, I get noise from the former and oil consumption from the latter on just about any other synthetic. I'm coming up on the first OCI since that poo poo came out so I'm conflicted.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 11, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I know very little about AC electrical stuff, and even less about how things are done outside of North America but bare ground wires aren't uncommon as far as I've seen. They usually just go straight to the nearest water pipe anyway.
The extra pair of leads might be for another socket or the lights, piggybacking off the feed for this socket?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Just thought about it and a kitchen plug would likely be a GFCI, and you'd want your lights to piggyback on a GFCI in that room so if it trips it kills everything. My bathroom is wired like that at least.
Also, maybe it's PO fuckery (or Canadian code differing from the US) but most of my grounds go to the nearest water line and this shithole was built in '88.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mafoose posted:

Dude...
Rotella is diesel oil, you won't find it in anything thin. Hell I don't think they make different weights.
It's good with old motors, especially flat tappet ones, but I think they were required to bring zinc levels down so they're supposedly not as good anymore.

Just buy the mobil1 jugs.

In the old days you had 2 different viscosities, 15w40 for everything but 2-stroke Detroits and straight-50 for the green leakers. Now there's a handful of viscosities around, including a 10w30 (mostly used by Merc IIRC).
And ZDDP reduction is actually a good thing for people who run diesel oil in cars- well, cat-equipped cars anyway, as ZDDP ruins catalytic converters (and DPFs/SCR catalysts, which is why they took the poo poo out). They beefed up the other EP additives to compensate (mainly ash and boron), so it's not like they've completely neutered the oils, they just had to change along with the engines that use them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I managed to get 7 unique SKUs into one box one time. But another time I made it to warehouse H so it balances out I guess?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So on Friday I ripped the back seat out of the Kia to maximize cargo space for its first road trip, and I just kinda plunked it in my living room whatever I'll deal with it later.
Well it turns out it's a more comfortable place to sit than the last 3 couches I've owned. If it wasn't for my roommates I would totally be making a frame to get it a little higher off the floor and launching the lovely couch into a dumpster somewhere right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Well what the poo poo? I put a 20% larger diameter than stock tire on the Kia and while I haven't verified with GPS, my speedo seems to be almost dead-on accurate. Never drove it on the stock tires but it would've had to be way the hell out of whack before I bought it. I'd chalk it up to PO fuckery, but the electricals (outside the stereo, whaich was massively hosed with) are untouched.

• Locked thread