Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tell her that it's a shitheap, acquire it for free/cheap, give to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

T1g4h posted:

You know, I think I eat far too many of my after work lunches at Taco Bell. That being said, holy poo poo the new Quesarito is pretty loving good.

I want one, but that poo poo is 650 calories.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Two five-layer burritos is easy. Still bad for you, but easy.

Three whoppers? I'm having a difficult time imagining. The thing about Taco Bell is that everything is made out of the same stuff. They have six ingredients, and it seems that in-house meal designers were told to go wild with them. Hence a quesadilla/burrito hybrid.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What is a double down?

e: oh god

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why can't we talk about superman? I must have missed something. But, now that it's mentioned, having a nigh-invincible character must take some writing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ok no comic book chat for Rhyno's sake.

But food chat...yes. Yesterday was one of those days where I never got full.
Breakfast: 4 eggs, 8 bacon, two bagels with nutella, 2 cups of fruit, cup of cottage cheese, coffee, orange juice.
At work: 4 bagels with nutella
Lunch: 2 servings of currywurst, fries and pop.
Dinner: 12oz steak, baked potato, garlic bread, 1.5L beer, apple strudel and a coffee.
2nd/3rd/ dinner: chicken stir fry from takeout place, two slices of pizza from pizza stand

Then I went to bed hungry. Wish my appetite was always that good, usually I have to force feed myself to eat enough.

Did you drink enough water with all of this? Do you have a glucometer? Do you take a multivitamin?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm getting a lot of mileage from this video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3porsglhg&t=66s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3porsglhg&t=386s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3porsglhg&t=427s

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I spent too much time on Forza 4 without buying any cars. I don't need to get Forza 5 or whatever the next one is (they're already doing another one? Didn't the xbone just come out?) and lose my mind. I only have so much time and most of that time is already dedicated to fixing a real-life car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had learned on a motorcycle. While a motorcycle shift is different (you use the friction zone instead of using it more like a switch, and it's linear), it got me used to the finer points of driving a stick, like selecting gear in traffic, learning when to shift re: a turn, learning when it's okay to pop it into neutral vs when I should keep it in a gear, etc.

That being said, I learned to drive a manual on a kind of "I need to drive this right now, it's an emergency!"-basis. I was moving, and my father let me borrow his pickup (1983 Ford Ranger with the 2.0, the gutless wonder), and I was leaving the next day and both my parents were at work. Learning because you have to in a trial by fire worked out, actually.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As my father said, if you're not stalling it occasionally, then you're not driving it right and/or slipping the clutch too much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I fell asleep once under the Subaru and somebody came by and woke me up to be sure that I hadn't been crushed or something. Laying carpet down while working on cars has definitely changed my outlook on the whole endeavor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use my phone to navigate while driving the ambulance, so this is amazing!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, bought the blipshift shirt.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I have two confused boners, which is concerning as I'm both straight and have only one penis.

Get that whitworth wrench out of your pants.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A programmable thermostat (I have a nest, but any good one will do) combined with switching to a peak plan (cheaper all day, expensive as gently caress from noon-1900) dropped my bill from 300+ during the summer to less than 200. It's low enough we "equalized" the monthly bill to 135. I have figured out that pre-cooling the house to 69/70 in the two hours before noon hits then letting it coast, when our normal temp is set to 76.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm in Phoenix, and having no AC in the beetle is killing me. I have the bucket swamp cooler (without which, I'd be dead already), but today it was 70 percent humidity, which is insane for a place that averages 8 percent during the summer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For comparison, in Phoenix the AC drains drip into the gutters. In the NE and PacNW, AC drains are tied into the sewer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, that was shot down quickly. I was just going by what I've seen, and I was trying to say it was because of the volume of condensate in high humidity areas. When my parents got AC in 2006 in Idaho, it was tied to the sewer, same with two families homes in the northeast. I don't know exactly why they did that, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Negromancer posted:

hahaha AC in PacNW? Why do you think we all bitch when it gets above 80 outside? No one has AC except in their cars or maybe office buildings.

We found it useful for about three/four months out of the year. The pacific northwest has hotter areas, and just plain humid areas where AC being used for dehumidifying instead of just cooling, are both very useful.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 9, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, at least the three times I saw it done to sewer (not to a vent, but to a drain or direct) there was always a trap or loop so the sewer gases didn't vent up into the whatever-you-call-it (air handler?). Rednecking, but high-class rednecking.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

NE yeah, but in the PNW when it's hot enough to need AC, it's also bone dry. We maybe get one or two days in a year where it's warm and humid. Normally it's either warm/dry or cold/wet, no real mixing of the two conditions. My wife, coming from upstate NY, loves how dry the summers are here.

Geirskogul posted:

We found it useful for about three/four months out of the year. The pacific northwest has hotter areas, and just plain humid areas where AC being used for dehumidifying instead of just cooling, are both very useful.

I lived in western Idaho until I was 24. Both of us can be correct - you just can't say "it's always" or "it's never."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah. Southern Idaho. That's your problem :v:. (it never gets as bad as FL or MS, but it can still get pretty bad with the rockies/salish mountains grabbing weather before it heads east).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Southern Idaho tends to actually sway towards the liberal side of things, thanks in part to Boise State University, and California transplants. It's up in the north (north of, say, Riggins or so) that things swing fully the other way. Let's put it this way: most of the north of the state, when I was romping around in my ACUs (field training, driving to the field training, which could be in the middle of nowhere, whatever), most of the populace wanted to suck my oh-so-all-american soldier cock just for stopping at a Chevron for fuel, because a large portion tends to view us in this impossible holy light. You go too deep into the woods, though, and you get people who will literally shoot at you because you're a soldier and obviously the only reason a soldier would be on a rural highway is because you're one of Obama's Death Squads coming to take their guns. There was an incident at the college in my hometown (LCSC in Lewiston) where kids with those backpacks you get from the recruiters were beaten by people belonging to a particularly deep sect of something.

To put it another way: stay the gently caress out of Kamiah or Orofino if you're not a bible-thumping tea partier (I had my tires slashed once when visiting my fiancee's mother in Kamiah, because I had Nez Perce, not Lewis, county plates, so I'm told). The reason they did so (again, as I was told) is because Nez Perce and Latah counties swing more left, or "less right," and anyone who could belong to a county that voted for Obama is anyone they didn't want in their town. Latah county is the only bluish one in the north, and Nez Perce is the less-red one just south of it. Orofino and Kamiah are east and south of Nez Perce county.

(when I say "the south sways towards the left," that's in comparison to the rest of the state. Ada county (Boise) is that pink one in the southwest, and drat near a third of the state lives there, 500k out of 1.5 mil)

Idaho, especially the north, is a goddamn loving beautiful state, with everything from plains, mountains, river basins, and rolling farmland. It's suck a loving shame about some areas, though.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 10, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a recent resident of Phoenix, I need that to be an official SA emote.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just picked up 4 quarts of Rotella T 15w40 from Walmart for $12. :whatup: It's literally, in every sense of the word, the only reason I step into that godawful store.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

At least in the US, it's customary (when your electrician isn't a knob, that is) to run lighting off the receptacle circuit for the next room over and vise versa. Why? It means if you need to replace an outlet, you can do so with the lights still on instead of fumbling around in the dark while holding a flashlight in your teeth. Or, you can replace a light fixture while using a worklight plugged into an outlet. I don't know if this is code requirement or not, and old properties may or may not follow this guideline.

This changes everything :aaa:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And a page back everyone was making GBS threads on Idaho.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
PCV system up to snuff?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In EMS and in hospitals, we ignore the tattoos, because they're not legally valid. That orange (or whatever your state dictates) DNR is the only valid piece of paper. No paper, we resuscitate, sorry. I've had family members screaming at me while I do CPR on grandma because they couldn't produce the paper, and it's honestly 50/50 they actually have a DNR and just can't find it (tip: keep it handy at all times, it's a loving DNR) vs they just want grandma dead so they can sell her house. We don't take any chances.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have been wearing my issued GI green socks for three years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Changing gear oil on the Beetle. Stole an idea from a friend (and it worked)

(his picture)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

STR, please take your ghost catte chat somewhere else. The only feelings allowed in AI are bruised knuckles, the smell of gear oil, and chlorinated brake cleaner. :colbert:

(rip str catte)

On that note, I just changed the gear oil in the beetle today. Mmmm, tasty.

Also, does anybody know how to get blood out of a PO's carpet?

:stonklol: :redhammer:

(BTW: I'm not ignoring your loss, STR. I just lost my 16 year old cat a few months ago, and it's still a very :cry: subject for me. I'm sorry for your loss, sincerely.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, the gear oil I used on the beetle today is literally the cheapest gallon of 75-90 I could find at Autozone. Cheaper than in-house brand, even :v:. It has to be better than the foul-smelling, probably-90-thousand-mile oil that was in there. And it's GL-5 (and MT-1) compatible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even if I'm just jacking up a corner of the car, I always have a stand and a jack, with the jack positioned ready to take the load of the car. When I'm going to be fully under the car, it's always two jackstands and the backup jack. I don't play around.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Always tires under the car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

I hope you're doing okay STR. My one pug is turns 10 next month and I get a little worried about him sometimes. He still moves well and he's very lovable but I can tell he's starting to lose his hearing. He used to go crazy when people fired off fireworks during the fourth of July but this year he slept right through them.

More pet drama! (I've talked about this over in the healthcare stories thread) I have a cat with a bum leg. A few weeks ago, he got outside, and his dead/numb leg scraped the ground, and it got torn open. I've been doing my best to take care of the wound (as a 68W, I have a little wound care experience, but it ususally doesn't extend past debridement and initial day one care), but his leg got left wet during a dressing change two weeks ago, and that started a snowball rotting/infection event. Today, I got paid (finally), so I started calling around to different vets trying to figure out which one would be the cheapest least expensive for a front-leg amputation, and it looks like even the least expensive place is still around $200 more than I have, pooling all of my money including pulling cash from a credit card (that I had to use for the emergency subaru head gasket failure three months ago, and have been trying to pay down since). This cat was a "rescue" from one of my fiancee's clients when her client died (she does in-home hospice care, and one client was a legit crazy cat lady). He's doing awesome so far, but cats compensate until the very last moment, and then they crash hard.

At least I have enough to take him in tomorrow (squeezed in an appointment at 0815) and get him some antibiotics, but it'll probably be at least two to four weeks more until we have enough saved to actually get the leg removed. Hang in there, kitty :ohdear:

Rawrl posted:

I've had pretty good luck with badcaps.net. T
Wow, flash from the past. Good to see that they're still around. Boo for bashing on the Sony Watchman, though. Thing saved my childhood.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

Note: I, too, drive a car without A/C, and I suffer. But it's not a sports car. If you have the spare hp, maintain dat A/C.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got enough money. Kitteh's gonna lose some dead weight :dance:

(he likes beans)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

Working with fiber optic cables is pretty straight forward. Make sure you terminate the ends properly and don't kink the cable.

Though, I can see why it'd be a difficult thing to do for a nonzero number of electricians out there. :saddowns:

Excuse me while I spend the next 30 minutes polishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Anphear posted:

130 times less 'deadly' than smoking.

3667 per year die due to mesothelioma each year in the United States which is 0.02 of all cancers.

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including an estimated 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure.1 This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day

While it terrible stuff and should have been removed long ago, as long as it remains fairly solid its not a big hassle.

You have to factor in exposure before you can say something is more or less deadly. If 1000 people a year smoke and 20 of them develop cancer, and ten people are exposed to asbestos dust and one develops cancer, you still can't say that smoking is 20 times deadlier.

Smoking is still horrible, and may be nite dangerous per exposure (i don't have numbers in front of me), but the way you presented your statistics bugged me a bit.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 22, 2014

• Locked thread