Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's 97 in Portland OR right now. It was 57 and raining last week. At least my FD has AC, too bad our old house does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Cage posted:

For those of you that change your own oil, where do you get your oil from? I spend close to $40 to get it done which isnt bad since I need extra oil and I refuse to go to one of those cheap chain shops but Im sure I can spend almost half that if I do it myself.

I hate Walmart, but I will buy my oil there. $16 for Castrol 10w40 + $3.60 filter off RockAuto = better then any of the $26 house brand oil+ equally crappy filter deals most the parts stores around here offer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh god drat it. I almost died today while driving a friends car, with him in the passenger seat. I took him out for a test drive after repairing a leaking turbo oil line and guess what happened? The line failed, spraying oil all over the nice hot turbo. What failed to burn off coated the ground. This created a self-lubricating road slick and nearly put me into the barrier going over a small bridge, twice. I swear I made him poo poo his pants as I corrected three times in a row. The car came to a slow stop, died, and smoke bellowed from under the hood. I stupidly cracked the hood, introducing more oxygen and POOF, flames engulfed the turbo. The foam filter was melted away, along with the turbo blanket and underhood blanket. From somewhere in the car, my friend retrieved a fire extinguisher and put out what he could. By this time two cars stopped, called the FD, and then drove off after saying, "Sorry, we don't have any water" - this seemed strange at the time. I managed to rip the underhood blanket off the car while it was still on fire, stomp it out, and grab the extinguisher. I put out the filter, turbo blanket, and instructed him to disconnect the trunk mounted battery. The FD showed up five minutes later. Both of us were just blankly staring at the country side, the 500ft trail of oil behind us, and the smoking engine bay. The chief took one look, laughed, asked if we had help coming and drove away. His friends were waiting at my shop and showed up shortly after the FD. Ten minutes later, a tow strap, and we were back at the shop, soaking the engine bay with degreaser and removing the melted parts. Amazingly, all it needs a new air filter, oil line, and underhood blanket (well, and some oil). I thought I was hosed. My friend was amazing about the entire thing and I'm still here, hours later, wondering how the gently caress I saved us on the bridge.

Pictures soon in my Home for lost Rotaries thread. I'm going to go pour myself a drink.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Ultracopper is your friend.

• Locked thread