Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Ooh that reminds me, I have to pay the mortgage. Wish I could have that check as a car payment. drat, I'd be rollin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
German car party at my house.

2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
1991 Audi v8 Quattro
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 sport
Not pictured: 1970 Mercedes-Benz 250C

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

T1g4h posted:

I still love that Quattro :allears:

You should post more about it!

Ok, here's something about it. We're going to RallyX it this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's going to be monumentally awesome, or stupid. There can be no middle ground.

I've been pretty quiet about it because I haven't been home much since I got it. I've actually been in Ontario living out of a canoe.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

T1g4h posted:

And that's why AI makes me feel like I live a really boring life most times :v:

Seriously, that canoe thing sounds awesome.

Be careful not to judge your life against the highlights of others' lives. Know that for me, that's about it for the year. I'm spent on both discretionary cash and time off from work.

It was really awesome though. I went with my 10 year old son and 67 year old father in law.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BraveUlysses posted:

How good/bad are Acura TSX's? I'm looking to spend under 10k for a 4 door daily driver with a stick

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=376130605

They're somewhat known for timing chain stretching issues, this is typically caused by excessive oil consumption issues that are left unchecked. The only other common issue I know of is door lock failure. This is typically caused by the master door lock mechanism (in the driver's door) failing. It's not terribly expensive, but a bit of a pain to replace. Dealers will typically state all door lock mechanisms need to be replaced when this problem is encountered, but typically you only actually need the driver's door unit.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

High blood pressure runs in my family, and as I've gotten older I've noticed that mine isn't as great as it once was. Gonna have to start giving up late night burgers :smith:

Back in May when I had my wreck I ended up checking into the ER the next day with my BP at 220/139. Since then I've given up all red meat and most carbs. I've lost 9 pounds and I'm on a myriad of drugs. Earlier in the year I was 135/90, which is where I've been for a long time. Why suddenly the jump isn't known. Watch that poo poo careful if you have any signs of essential hypertension. I felt nothing wrong, walked into the ER under my own power with that BP. Buy a BP monitor on Amazon, check that poo poo once a day. Good ones can be found around $50.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
BaT is different this morning and I'm in no mood for things to change or be different today.

Also, the Audi V8 quattro took nearly 30 minutes of cranking to start today. I knew this would happen the moment I said I was starting to like it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
This is happening right now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fart Pipe posted:

Yesssss! Do you have a camera for video? Id love to hear it ripping around the track.

Incar video will be had. Not sure how audible the exhaust note will be but this car knows how to make some noise, so maybe.

Edit: RallyX is fun but always involves a whole bunch of sittin around staring at some dude's bumper.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Annnnnd the Audi is broken.

Not sure what's wrong yet. I've lost the entire driver's bank. Pulled the coil wire for that side and it's running exactly as lovely as with it on.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Two coils, two distributors. One coil and one dist paired together for each cylinder bank.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
The sun is just brutal. I'm getting her towed home. When I pulled the intake tubing off to get it out of the way I snagged the coolant overflow hose, which snapped the nipple off the rad, so she's hosed even if I get her running worth a poo poo. Bad day, maybe 20 year old German luxury sedans weren't meant to be raced in the dirt.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 27, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Phone posted:

I had a bad idea in the shower last night... K24 swap into a 190E.

I'm not sure if I like that idea more than turbocharging a Civic RT4WD.

I have long considered a F20c in a 240d. Surprisingly, the 240d is only 200lbs heavier than the S2000, and I'm guessing a good chunk of that weight comes from the iron block iron head OM617 diesel engine. Can you imagine a W123 screaming to 9000rpm? I can, and it makes me feel good in my pants.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
A while back I was contacted by an automotive journalist (blogger?) about shooting my 250c and doing a shot write-up about it. Last Sunday we did a quick early morning photoshoot. Here it is: http://voyagershift.com/around-the-block-1970-mercedes-benz-w114-250-c/

It was a pretty fun morning, talking cars and driving them about. We discussed doing a "strange bedfellows" type story with the 250C and ITR together, and even shot a few pictures of them together, but I guess he decided not to go that way.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Eh, I'm not one to tell others how to do things I can't do worth a drat myself. I had a fun weekend and I think it's cool that someone else saw something in one of my cars worth writing about.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"It was ordered with red paint, black exterior, AM/FM radio (a Becker Europa unit), hand crank windows,..." :v:

Pretty drat cool though.

I actually have the original customer order form with the paperwork with the car, this car was built to suit. What makes it particularly unusual is that it's very much a base model, but with the Becker Europa Stereo radio (stock was the plain Becker Europa, a mono radio) and air conditioning. Typically you'd only see those features in the higher spec 280C. To see them combined with manual transmission and crank windows is unusual. Also typical of the day, most of these cars were weirdo colors, pale shades of greens and yellows are often seen and a denim blue and brown were also popular. Interior colors were typically shades of cream or a offensively permeating blue (to go with the denim blue exterior) that was horrific. To see a red on black is a bit uncommon, and I think the combo has stood the test of time better than most the others seen. When you put that all together I think you find you have a car that feels very normal today, but strangely wasn't when it was built.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh yeah, I finally got the ITR into the body shop this morning for an estimate. Just under $1000 for a new bumper cover and paint. Also they asked if I wanted a rental, I guess I do. Car goes in on the 14th of August.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Or go full AI and use carb cleaner.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

Cripes, I missed something... what happened to the ITR?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What's up with the ITR?

I got rear ended in it a couple months back. Got hurt and I've had some health problems in the midst of what is shaping up to be one of my busiest summers ever. Anyway, the car isn't hurt bad, looks like it's just the bumper cover. You can't even tell from 10 feet.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Let me tell you about a thing called Amsoil

I thought that was just a feminine douche.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

cursedshitbox posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4594703532.html

Someone should buy this ratty POS and drive it as is.

If only it were a OM617.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Something followed me home. I'm not sure what it was because all I could see behind me was a wall of white.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

I think you got screwed, the person that sold you that forgot to include at least half of it.

It's a grower not a shower.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
We prefer "little people".

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I don't think this is what Audi had in mind for these cars. Just found this photo on Facebook. I really want to fix it and race again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh maaaaan I so want to do that with that car

You can live the dream for $1,500. I'll even fix the car first.

Also, Toaster Pastry just posted this old photo of himself up on my Facebook thing. Apparently RallyX in an Audi v8q is an official AI thing now.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread