Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

...the factory 2.73:1 open diff. No wonder you junked your car, it was probably slow as balls. Idiot. :argh:
Now what the gently caress do I do with a Series 3 open diff carrier?

Polish it up, put some electric motors on it, and make a little desk ornament.

I could watch something like that for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Any suggestions for solvents?

I just use the five gallon bucket of "solvent" from princess auto. I think it's just paint thinner, at least that's what it smells like to me. Great at removing oils and grease.

Just don't put the chemical in a parts washer. It's not good for the pump's seals. Ask me how I know that. :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I got the bad idea that I should do a fix and flip on a Subaru with head gaskets, and found a 99 Outback for $1350ish. Talked the guy down to $650 and then planned a pick-up time. Ask if he wants a deposit. No deposit, okay, fine. Got insurance, cash, all the usual stuff. An hour before I leave for his place, he emails me and is like "oh neighbor kid wants it, and he wants to pay full price, so I agreed to sell it to him when he gets the money." Obviously, I'm pissed, but it's probably a blessing in disguise - I can spend that time and money on my own cars instead of trying to do a head gasket job for a profit.

Two weeks later, he emails me today with "welp neighbor kid couldn't come up with the money, you still want it?"

Have fun, rear end in a top hat!

Seriously, gently caress that guy. Money in hand is always better than "some kid is saving up to pay me".

There's always something else we could flip.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Since getting into American cars, I've grown from my original opinion that it's always a 10mm socket. Sometimes I lose the 7/16 socket now.

Quite literally :v:

We'll have to get a picture of you being dwarfed by the engine bay when we pull the poly.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Maybe that's how we should do the master cylinder install. :v:

Don't even joke about that. It's going to be hard enough getting that brake line along the firewall back in place, let alone the mc.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whoa, a bubblegum interior on an orange car.

Bold.
Fresh.
Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where has July gone? :smith:

It seemed so short.

• Locked thread