Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
E: ^^^^ I keep waiting for Spintires to get on a Steam sale, looks fun as hell.

Powershift posted:

It's like if you bought a set of tires from a tire shop, and every time you took the car back in for a tire rotation, they pulled the tires off and then tried to sell them back to you.

Except with forza 5, they're also trying to sell you your wheels back as well.

Alternatively you can get Gran Turismo 6, where not only are you getting brand new wheels and tires each month, but they don't even charge you for them...

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but 3 of them are fuckin square.

Hahahaha. :D

Anyone else get a kick out of trying to find the worst car in a racing game and try to tune it to be as competitive as possible? Right now I'm getting my kicks racing around a Daihatsu Midget with an engine boosted to within an inch of its life and a custom gearbox so it can actually get above 80 mph. The amount of body roll it has even with a full race suspension is comical.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So a new potential job has popped up for double what I make now + full benefits. But if I take it and it doesn't work out I'll be hosed. New job would be pretty active, lots of walking, heavy lifting and my leg acts up if I stay on my feet too long. It's sill very tempting because gently caress this gay comic bullshit.

How frequently will pre-pubescent children pester you about Pokemon cards at this new job? I think you have your answer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

One day my stepdad was going to the store in his pickup and I asked if I could come (wanted to grab a soda or something) and he said "sure, but you have to drive". I'd never driven stick before then*, but I got to learn on the way to the store and back, in traffic. Then a couple months later, I ended up getting that same truck when my my parents divorced. Been driving sticks ever since.

*Was already familiar with the general principles from riding old dirt bikes and poo poo, but the controls in a car and on a bike are fairly different for shifting.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Got invited to a party in the presidential suite at the Marriott downtown, overlooking the river and the blues festival that's going this weekend.

Waiting for the fireworks display to start, should be soon, it's starting to get dark now.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 5, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I love the fact that even though I didn't know you were in Portland, and I haven't walked that waterfront in 20 or so years, I still instantly recognized that photo as Portland.

My wife says downtown sometimes reminds her of her childhood in Pittsburgh - lots of hills and bridges and water.

Fireworks ended up being pretty awesome

:911:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 5, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So I just got the invitations for my cousin's wedding this saturday. According to the card, it will be a "barn-raisin' good time" after the ceremony, including a "good 'ol BBQ", the "saloon will be open to all", and entertainments will include "horseshoes, drinkin', dancin', and corn-holing". :clint: :gay:

(items in quotes are more-or-less verbatim)

It's sounding a bit like Brokeback Mountain: the wedding.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

For comparison, in Phoenix the AC drains drip into the gutters. In the NE and PacNW, AC drains are tied into the sewer.

NE yeah, but in the PNW when it's hot enough to need AC, it's also bone dry. We maybe get one or two days in a year where it's warm and humid. Normally it's either warm/dry or cold/wet, no real mixing of the two conditions. My wife, coming from upstate NY, loves how dry the summers are here.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Ew, Idaho :gonk:

my step-dad is from Boise, but I've still never seen it get as bad there as someplace like Florida or Mississippi

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeah but it WOULD be summer conditions for most of them

Okay so bringing it in the chat thread - so I know about smoke tunes for power but since when did they start to be used in a flagrant display of being an obnoxious rear end in a top hat? Do these dicks actually realise how pathetic they actually are? I'm kinda surprised I only found out about this today but I'm also surprised no one doing this can work out they arent being smart, they are just being stupid dicks that deserve a punch in the mouth?

If you're talking about rolling coal, it's generally referred to as 'prius repellant'. It's commonly done by the kind of people who think the US should not have a black man as president. Or as a free citizen.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Netbooks make the best garage machines. My 1000HE may be old and slow, but it's still good enough to pull up PDFs / play Google music / surf Autozone and Rockauto, while being lovely enough that who cares if it gets greasy.

I really need to pick up a new laptop so I have an excuse to make my current (~five year old) laptop a garage laptop. It's too old to run any newer games, but it'd still work great for looking at shop manual PDFs and such. Every garage needs a garage laptop.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Motronic posted:

They do this with tires as well. My $500 beater came with a new looking set of Goodyears I'd never heard of. When I looked them up they are Walmart only.

The company I work for makes special 'Walmart only' versions of our stuff. It's the same chinese-made crap we sell everywhere else, just with a different package and labeling on it. The reason for the different labeling/model name? So that Walmart can claim the lowest price on say, 'Exercise Bike ABC123', and if anyone tries to find it cheaper in other stores or online they won't, because the only place that carries model 'ABC123' is Walmart. Despite it being otherwise identical to model 'XYZ 4.0' we sell to Amazon/Dicks Sporting Goods/on our website, except for the box and which stickers are on the side of the bike. We do this for Dick's, as well (same model, different name so it's an 'exclusive').

In our case, we don't change anything largely because it's already cheap Chinese crap that we're importing and selling at a 500%-1000% markup, so there's no point in trying to make them cheaper than they already are, we just reduce our markup by a few percent for Walmart sales.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kastein posted:

If I had a heated shop, new hampshire or vermont. And I will have one if I ever manage to move there.

The rest either is too flat, too hot, too drat cold, sucks for legal reasons, or packed too full of assholes :v:

I'll take rust over dealing with californians and CARB.

Oregon has mountains, is neither too hot nor too cold, rust isn't an issue, and we don't have safety inspections and we only do smog if you live inside the urban boundary of the Portland metro area. Plus registration is only $86 every two years. And no sales tax. It's pretty much the ideal car enthusiast state.

As long as you're not some sissy who moans about 6 months of rain (note I said rain, we only get snow/ice a handful of days a year, if that, and you can always live in the eastern half of the state - which is desert - if its that much of a problem)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

If I'm going to downtown Dallas, I just park at the Parker Road station and spend the $5 on a day pass, then get some exercise walking downtown. It costs less than just the gas for the round trip, don't have to deal with parking, and best of all, don't have to deal with parking.

This is one thing I do really like about our new apartment me and the missus moved to at the beginning of the year - we're only two blocks from one of the main MAX (Portland's light rail service) stations, so anytime we want to go downtown for an event or hitting the bars, we can just get a couple of day passes and ride down to stuff like the big brewers' festival (largest microbrew festival in the US), get hammered on about a billion glasses of beer, then take the train home and sleep it off. So much better than driving and having to deal with parking, having someone be the designated driver, etc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
What those people don't realize is the feds are doing them a favour, saving them from spending the thousands and thousands of dollars required to keep those Landies running and working. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Holy crap you guys put too much thought into socks. :stare: I can see that if you wear, say, dress shoes, slacks, etc to work, but I just buy whatever brand is cheapest and lowest cut (generally the "no show", which still show, the name is a lie) at Wal-Mart. If I'm actually going to be active (beyond my normal daily stuff), I have a few pairs of low cut Adidas socks. Even if I'm in slacks and dress shoes, I prefer just lowish cut black socks. I can't stand how "nice" socks (the poo poo you're supposed to wear with slacks and dress shoes) feel.

Then again, my "daily" shoes rotate between about 3 different pairs of DC shoes (one pair is 4 years old at this point and should be junked, but they're solid black, so I can wear them to work) and a pair of Vans. I have some lovely $25 kitchen shoes that I'm supposed to wear at work, but the DCs actually slip less. And don't hurt my feet.

OK, that's it, we're revoking your gay card. You don't care nearly enough about your appearance to be in the cool kids club anymore. You'll have to sit at the table in the corner with all the straight guys who're picking their noses and wiping it on their shirts. :colbert:

(seriously, having a variety of socks to match the occasion is awesome. I have huge piles of the cheapest white crew socks I can get for work, then a whole drawer of dress socks in various black, navy, striped, and argyle patterns for when I'm doing basically anything except work.)

Also, condolences on the cat, losing a pet sucks hardcore :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
^^^^^e: I have 6x 3-ton stands, I always put two on each side if I'm just jacking up one end, or one on each corner plus one under the engine and one under the diff if I'm putting both ends up. Tires under the car if any of them come off too. I don't gently caress around either.

Cakefool posted:

Full swim gear, good seals and a recent service, that's a good price. Sadly he won't post it the 10 miles to my house :haw:

So what type of stand should I be using?

4 legged stands. Those triangular ones are too easy to tip.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 18, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Actually the short "lies to children" answer is drums suck, you should never use them on anything if you have a choice, use disc brakes 24/7 erry day.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

So, a few days ago I swapped my hard drive into a new(er) computer, which involved an OS reinstall because for some reason it didn't like the new hardware and got caught in a boot loop. Whatever, done it before, no big deal.

So just now I'm typing up a lab report for my chem class. 2 hours of work, finished about a half hour ago, hadn't saved. Literally as I'm going to print, the screen locks up, then I see Chrome crash in the background, before every window closes and the computer shuts itself down.

Turns out it decided that 3:37 AM while the computer is in use is a loving dandy time to install, not just an update, but a loving Windows 7 service pack. With no warning, no popup, no option to delay it, just "gently caress ALL YOUR poo poo AND EVERYTHING YOU'RE WORKING ON, I'M GONNA PLAY WITH MYSELF FOR THE NEXT HALF HOUR."

Luckily I was able to recover the document intact, but I spent the whole time flipping out not knowing if it would or not, so I'm pissed anyway.

COMPUTERS

Yeah, had that happen to me the first time I was using Win 7. The defaults for the windows 7+ update manager are set to "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" out of the box; now I change that poo poo as the first order of business on a new install because gently caress having the computer shut down without asking first.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've never lost a socket in a car, but that's because I will tear half the car out to get to it if that's what it takes. I've had a dropped socket double or triple the time a job ended up taking because of this. :smith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Edit: also gently caress car shopping. I am losing my patience trying to find viable options. My mother has offered the money but my girlfriend feels like it's taking advantage of her if we go beyond a certain dollar amount. She wants to cap our spending at $12K as after the "gift" and the Civic that leaves us with only $2K she's actually spending (and we intend to pay back.)

Can't find anything with my criteria for $12K. May as well just buy a lovely old used Cobalt.

Ask her what the view is like down there, because she's obviously enjoying looking down that gift horse's mouth.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

I won't own a bmw car. something something not wanting the big prick on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wally Joyner posted:

Edit; The next car I buy I will be going to a salt-free state and driving it back.

Better idea: instead of dooming yet another innocent car to an inevitably rusty, salty doom by shipping it to the hell that is the rust belt, ship yourself out of the rust belt for good and enjoy a lifetime of rust-free cars. :unsmith:

• Locked thread