Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sigma X posted:

Try to keep it running, with no garage access; or convince her to start trying to somehow find a replacement?

Put it on junkyard life support. No parts over $100 unless they're from the scrappers. Drive it until it's unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I learned stick in Costa Rica on my honeymoon. Rental car was driven to our B&B by a nice guy and his wife and hey look, a manual.

I formally apologize to the great people of Costa Rica for the two weeks that followed.

Also the Daihatsu Terios. I'm sorry I made you smell like burning little buddy.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fine, but I don't care how much time you have with a stick - a lot of it is learning your particular vehicle. Hop into one you've never driven and it's likely to make you look like a 16-year-old all over again.

I did a little burnout in front of the seller of my Audi when I was test driving it the first time. Turns out my tried and tested method of revving the poo poo out of the engine and letting out the clutch quickly only works well on a BMW M50 with blown VANOS seals.

On a turbo four with a super light clutch that just makes tire smoke.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

The new thing in town are Motorcycle "Collectives" where it's a bunch of hipster douchebags renting a workshop together and cafe-ing vintage hondas and yamahas

This would admittedly be an awesome idea if it had non douchebag members.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm paranoid that, like appliances, Walmart has brokered a deal to get a special W version of brand name oils that's shittier than the real thing but at a great price.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

They do this with tires as well. My $500 beater came with a new looking set of Goodyears I'd never heard of. When I looked them up they are Walmart only. And they are wearing like poo poo compared to pretty much any other tires I've owned.

See this is what I'm worried about. It would totally be Walmart's MO to resell some bargain basement Rotella that performs poorly because who's going to notice? It could take thousands and thousands of miles to be a problem for most engines.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I also don't see much wrong with that outlet box.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bought an 05' Corolla today for $1500 with 105k on the clock. It has some damage on the right side so I'll need to find a junkyard door for it. New tires too.

This will be a significant upgrade for my wife from the stupid loving Taurus I hate so much.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Hey my turn signal is out, I guess I'll replace the bulb. Now that's odd, the bulb is fine?

Oh wait theres the problem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I ordered some brake parts and fully expect the fedex guy to dump them on the porch in the rain again tomorrow.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Devyl posted:

I miss the days of Rockauto shipping from one or two warehouses. Now it's a pain in the rear end to wait on 17 boxes from 12 different warehouses.

Its fuckin awful if you're ordering from Canada. $40 shipping sucks but from two or three warehouses? gently caress that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

Why would you think you need to do that? If you've never driven to the limit on a track your first time out is not going to require anything more than your street car in street car trim.

There is nothing wrong with bleeding your brakes, but unless you are super special with innate talent you won't be exceeding the bounds of a street car your first time out. I mean, unless you push it enough to crash, which won't be the fault of your brakes.

First time out my co-worker set his brakes on fire which we all had a laugh at.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

A bleed and pads aren't going to fix that.

That was the solution after the fact! Also new rotors.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ecotecs are actually a decent little engine if taken care of. Unfortunately like many good GM engines the rest of the car falls apart around them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The structure is sound, probably be a bitch to heat. He plans on living on the top floor and turning the lower floors into his museum. It might even have a basement/loading dock. I'm wondering how much buttering up he'll need to allow me to use that area.

Oh man guaranteed that building is jam packed full of asbestos

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

First ever track day in the A3 tomorrow (and first day ever) and I don't have my new summer tires yet so I'm running on "performance" winter tires. I am going to be a slow cloud of tire smoke. Oh god what am I doing I am not good with cars.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

trouser chili posted:

I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?

I don't know but it happened to me with the E34. German cars run so nice when they're in good shape that you develop full on Stockholm syndrome when they break, which is often.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

180 mode, all controls are reversed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Driving home and see a car pulled onto the shoulder with a flat front passenger tire, decide to be nice and pull over to see if they need a hand. Got bitched out for stopping to help by some crazy bitch since I obviously only stopped because it was a woman. "Nevermind, go gently caress yourself" then drove away.

Something something no good deed goes unpunished. I hope she's still sitting there trying to figure out how to use the widow maker jack.

To balance this out, yesterday I stopped and helped a delightful old man unseize the front caliper on his minivan.

He offered to hook me up on a date with his daughter. With his daughter standing right there. When I showed him my wedding ring he said "well that's too bad, how about a coffee with me instead" :haw: and gave me the biggest grin ever while his daughter died of embarrassment.

Made my week.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Dashcommand and an obd2 dongle seems to do a great job of fuel mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'd rather pay a few bucks for regular car reviews to be honest

• Locked thread