Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Tommychu posted:

Has anyone ever had a head gasket leak coolant to the outside on installation, and then stop during breakin?
The prick left about a half ounce puddle the morning after I filled it (did not run at that point) and was obviously continuing to leak, I pulled plugs and stuck a borescope down all the holes and my pistons were dry, and the vehicle had to loving move that day so I said gently caress it I'll do something about it later. Since I got it running and started the break-in process it hasn't leaked a drop, despite multiple attempts to find it with a pressure tester.
Graphite HGs are basically possessed?

Sounds like you forgot the Permatex :cheeky:

But seriously though, did you check to see if the heads need decking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Corvette museum had their fireworks yesterday. Decent, but I dunno why they couldn't wait til the 4th. On another note, getting hammered on cheap kentucky whiskey in celebration of our independence... and the fact I have to work on a Liberty tomorrow :patriot:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

Late to the party but the very first time I drove a standard was in an old C10 with a column shifter and clutch pedal so heavy I felt like I had to put all my weight on it to get it down. Just like everyone else, I spun out and hauled rear end. Nowadays, whenever I drive someone else's car that has a standard, I always keep it in neutral and pump the clutch a few times to get a feel for it. Then it's clutch down, first, ease off the clutch until I feel the engagement point and ease on the gas. When I test drove the G35 I bought, the guy told me I was the first person to get it moving without stalling it out. Doesn't surprise me though since it's pretty easy to not feel the engagement point the first few times you drive one.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
90s Hondas can last forever if proper maintenance is done from the beginning. And it honestly saddens me every time I see a civic or accord driven with a loud exhaust and multi-colored body panels. I saw a near mint crx drive past me today at a stop light followed by two coffee can exhaust civics and I cringed at the thought of the poor crx's future :(

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
"You have no location history". Guess it's a good thing I keep GPS off on my phone.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Nws that, you sexy beast :allears:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Decided to try out the company cafeteria for lunch yesterday. Wound up getting chicken that was raw in the middle. Of course I didn't discover this until a few bites in. I don't think I'll be eating there again.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Went into work today to find myself surrounded by motor mount panels for the new 2015 Mustang chassis. Much better quality than those other Ford parts I talked about. If you buy one of the first 4,000 or so, I made sure your left motor mount won't fall off the chassis.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Another wal-mart oil shopper here. Unless I'm at AutoZone for something else. Speaking of, this weekend it's time to change the oil and rear diff oil on the g35. I'm already cringing because I don't think the rear end has ever been changed.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Slow is Fast posted:

Subaru kids love rotella T6

Just used this on my oil change today. Will report back if when the car starts rolling coal on 22" rockstar rims.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Girlfriend got a job offer from her dad the other day. He's a higher-up at one of the larger construction companies in the U.S. $20/hr starting off to spot violations on the work-site and it starts in January. Guaranteed 5 year job. Sounded great until I found out we'd have to move to the Dallas area. I'm not too keen about it at the moment because yeah, she would have a great job, but then I would be moving as well and have no job.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

some texas redneck posted:

DFW isn't bad, as long as you don't live in Dallas proper (DPD has a terrible response time, there's tons of corruption within the city itself [particularly the PD], and you'll want to eat a bullet if you ever have to use I-635 or I-35E.. typical big city poo poo I guess). Most of the suburbs range from "eh" to "holy poo poo how much house am I getting for this money again?!" to "holy poo poo this closet is $500k?!". The further out from Dallas you get, the cheaper property gets, and we have an awesome light rail system. North(ish) Plano to downtown Dallas in under 45 minutes, which is much faster than driving during peak hours... for $5 (for a day ticket - that lets you ride all the trains and buses within DART until 3am the next morning)

But yeah, there's the whole "no job" part.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be brushing up on my DFW knowledge because she got the call from her dad pretty much locking the job into place and she's dead-set on it. You live in the area, right?

mafoose posted:

Aren't you QA at a Ford plant?

I'm sure you could have at least interviews lined up for when you move. I could of sworn I remember hearing about lots of machine shops and the like needing help.

I'm a QA at the company that makes the majority of parts for Ford as well as Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, VWoA, Chevrolet, & Toyota. What we do is we manufacture or ship in the bare metal parts from our other manufacturing locations in the area. We then check them for any physical manufacturing defects, put them together via bolting, welding, or whatever, and re-check them. They are then sent off to their respective car companies to be assembled into what goes on the road. I get a good laugh when people complain about cars being built in Mexico or Canada or whatever; because sure they're assembled there, but they're still really made in the U.S. Basically we build the legos and the car companies put them together and paint them at their plants. Here's a peek into the frame & chassis assembly line for Toyota:

That yellow tent on the right is one of the many welding stations for Toyota's smaller chassis parts. Then they get put on that rail system on the left and the robots finish welding everything up into one giant piece. Other companies make their products nearby too. Companies like Akebono (manufacturer of a good-sized chunk of most brake components), Bendix, Holley, Murakami, Chevrolet Corvettes, and others are all within a 15-20 mile radius of each other.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 14, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Knowing what I know now, probably all of them :D

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

blk posted:

Guys. GUYS. I ordered four things from Rock Auto and they're all coming on the same shipment.

I miss the days of Rockauto shipping from one or two warehouses. Now it's a pain in the rear end to wait on 17 boxes from 12 different warehouses.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

some texas redneck posted:

Yeah I do, in Plano for now.

Hope you like terrible traffic and highways, highways everywhere. And until you've been here awhile, you often don't even know what city you're in. :haw:

So basically New Orleans 2.0. Got it :) I was born in Texas. For a few years I lived in Kingsville which is about 20 minutes south of Corpus Christi. While I'm familiar with Texas, she isn't... And I think she's in for a huge culture shock.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
*more DFW talk* well, looks like I won't be going there unemployed either. He offered me a spot on the crew. I'm kinda looking forward to this.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

IOwnCalculus posted:

:supaburn:

Rest of the week looks like more of this, too.

It appears as though you might need some kind of liquid refreshment. Might I suggest only the finest of aquatics from the best purveyors in hydration?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of work and caffeine, tomorrow is gonna be a big caffeine day for me. Why? We start work on a new clients' parts...

GM.

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
GM status report:

We're checking suspension components for cracks. And by "we" I mean "a bunch of newly hired temps that know next to nothing about cars, let alone car parts" instead of letting people who know what they're doing look for problems. Evidently Nissan has decided to ramp up production massively to pass Honda in US sales, so our team has been up to our neck with those parts. And then first shift lost one of our expensive-rear end gauges yesterday. They raised hell claiming someone stole it, and I walked in to a note saying "2nd shift, stop stealing our poo poo. 1st shift". I find everything movable chained and locked down. So today I'm cleaning up 1st shifts' mess they always leave and find the missing gauge on top of a pallet and under a bin 1st shift uses to store their dirty gloves, dried out markers, and other crap. Gave it to the boss and told her that 1st shift can shove it. Tomorrow should be interesting.

At least it's Friday though :allears:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread