Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slow is Fast posted:

One of the many reasons I don't want to date seriously again. I am not going to be the caretaker of your shitbox.

I just passed the 10 year anniversary of my divorce. My ex wife still calls me first when her car has a problem. I'm proud to say that for the last 4 years I've done nothing but give her an opinion on what it might be and tell her to take it to a shop.

Yes, for 6 years I worked on the car of a woman who left me. And gave her a free loaner to use while I worked on it. It was like automotive Stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Got invited to a party in the presidential suite at the Marriott downtown, overlooking the river and the blues festival that's going this weekend.

Waiting for the fireworks display to start, should be soon, it's starting to get dark now.

I love the fact that even though I didn't know you were in Portland, and I haven't walked that waterfront in 20 or so years, I still instantly recognized that photo as Portland.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So for years I've been using an image host that was private and run by a friend. His site has wound down to zero activity so I think he's finally letting the domain expire. I've offered to take it over so that I don't have to re-host my thousand or so pictures but he just wants to let it go, I think he thinks transferring it is a huge pain or something.

I know imgur is the go-to site for goons, but I've never seen a picture link that wasn't just some 6 character combination, like this: imgur.com/lAvdZSG.jpg.

If I'm assuming correctly, this means I'd have to go through all my posts and re-link each photo one at a time. Is that right? Or is it easier than that? What I was really hoping is if there was a hosting site that let me keep my filenames, and I could just find-replace the domain name in all my past posts, at least for active threads where I want to keep the pictures alive. Sucks that I'll lose all photo links in archived threads too.

I probably have close to 2000 photos from the last 10 years linked from his site, I should have switched to something more professional or my own host a long time ago.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Disclaimer: its been probably 8 years since I've hosed around with web hosting, but I used to run a site or two for my friends which usually wound up being image/doc hosts for us.

Transferring the old domain name and re-hosting it is definitely your easiest option. If your friend has reasons other than being lazy for not wanting to transfer it, wait until it is available to register and put some cheap hosting on it. Failing that, you'll have to pay to register/host your own site and re-upload the images. Either way, you'll want to pay close attention/note the file structure of your friend's current site structure, i.e. http://lloyddobler.stupidfriend.com/car-photo.jpeg as well as log in and download all of your photos before his hosting expires (that is important!).

Since you have ~1000 images on it I assume you have FTP access (unless your friend had some fancy uploading portal, but odds are your login info would work in an FTP program anyway). Just go into the public_html directory and download your entire /lloyddobler folder (or whatever it is). Now you've got all your stuff. 8 years ago the Cpanels of any of the web hosts I tried made it stupid easy to set up subdomains (such as lloyddobler.stupidfriend.com) etc. If your friend just set it up as stupidfriend.com/public_html/lloyddobler you won't even have to gently caress around with subdomains - just make an appropriately named folder in the root dir.

If you can register the exact name of the old site and re-create it's file structure exactly, you won't have to do anything. Otherwise yeah, you'll have to namesearch-replace each post.

What sucks is that I'm finding out it's expired after the fact. So re-hosting is a given, and the only benefit now to registering his domain would be to restore pictures to my archived threads that I can't edit. I already got a new offer of hosting from another friend so it's basically taken care of now, short of me editing my live threads to point to the new server.

Thanks for the advice, I still might do it to reactivate the old threads. Uploading doesn't take all that long. And swedespeed never archives, and I have mirror threads over there for all my projects. I might edit my posts in the project tracking thread to point to the swedespeed threads, that'd at least give anyone looking for my old poo poo a place to see it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The nice part about Colorado is it cools off rapidly at night, so by about 9PM if you open windows and run a fan, it's tolerable in the house.

That said, I spent $5k on A/C and it was worth every loving penny.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Is there any place that everyone would agree is awesome to live? In general, or for cars specifically. I'm genuinely curious.

I mean, maybe Colorado; legal weed and Pike's Peak, can't be all that bad. :v:

Car person drawbacks for Colorado: It rains every day (300 days of sunshine my rear end). It rains for at least 30 minutes a day, every day, so gently caress keeping your car clean. I mean, the rain is DIRTY here.

Without a turbo or supercharger just knock 20% right off your car's power rating.

With a turbo or supercharger, still add a couple seconds to your 1/4 mile time, because spooling takes longer and the top end cuts off quicker.

But yeah there are a lot of fun as hell roads and turning the traction control off in the snow is a blast.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The other thing about jackstands, is never use them on asphalt unless you put a thick piece of plywood under them. Asphalt is squishy and will flow. In fact, wasn't that what happened to the guy who got his head squished? Or was that another goon entirely?

Wheels under the car as an emergency stop is also a good idea, and the last thing is to make sure the place you're putting them under the car isn't slick with undercoat as a lube. Good jackstands should be shaped so the car can't slip off of them anyway, but making sure it can't slip is important.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's in the rules. Like anything loose or removable in the interior should be out the window before leaving the parking lot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Oh that's weird, my friend said he got it next day via Prime. I think I'll just get a Costco battery. Last time I asked they said they don't carry my size but I think he was wrong.

Good, I was gonna warn you to stay away from Optima. Johnson Controls bought them and moved all manufacturing to Mexico and they really suck now. I'm on my 2nd one in my 122 (under warranty) because it just stopped holding a charge out of nowhere. The car has zero current draw when off (I mean come on, it doesn't even have a clock) so when the battery store guy told me I should use a battery tender because they're not meant to sit for a month I asked if they put tenders on them in their warehouse. If I get through the warranty period I will not replace with another Optima.

Any other name brand AGM battery will be decent, I picked up a spendy one for my convertible and so far it is living up to its hype. I can let it sit for 6-8 weeks in the winter and the car still cranks over and fires right up. It's an X2 power battery which is the Batteries Plus branding, it's made by Northstar in the USA with a 5 year non prorated warranty. Odyssey is the other brand I've heard fantastic things about, and I would have bought one of those except they didn't have one to fit my car the day I went in.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I avoid other car forums almost entirely, but I think it would be a great thread to share screenshot examples of the wanton stupidity in the model/brand specific forums.

Or just bad logic that gets repeated because someone once said it with an authoritative sounding post. Like how single shear is apparently always bad, or how contact patch supposedly has nothing to do with traction because weight times coefficient of friction equals force.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2014

• Locked thread