Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ok, so what's the best way to clean out a funky plastic master cylinder reservoir? Obviously I'd like something that will eat old brake fluid gunk but not chew through the plastic. I've got a jug of acetone, but I'm kind of leery about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Soap and water then dry thoroughly? I always had pretty good luck with that. Brake fluid washes away great with water so maybe a tooth brush or something for the stubborn stuff.

Just kinda slosh it around? No real room to get a brush in there with all the baffling and chamber and whatnot in there. I read somewhere that some OEMs will use denatured alcohol to clean and flush. I may pick up a can and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I trash my reservoir and go pick another one at the scrapyard for :10bux:.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hit the MC with some hot soapy water. Got some of the bigger poo poo knocked out. I'd like to throw some BBs in there or something, but I'm afraid I wouldnt be able to get them all out of there. Lots of little nooks and whatnot. I think I'm going to call it good.

Next step is buying some brake line and getting my hands on some bending and flaring tools.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeessssssss

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Found a '73 Nova in the local yard with an 8.5" 10-bolt that I want. Problem is, the bonehead that put the slapper bars on managed to trash 1 U-bolt nut per side so I can't get the loving thing out there. I'm heading back tomorrow with a hacksaw. And my wife's car...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Buy a cordless angle grinder and bask in its greatness.

I have literally never unbolted an axle ubolt. I only cut them. 15 minutes to pull a rearend using nothing but a sawzall, angle grinder, wire cutters for the brake line and sensor wires, maybe a box wrench to undo shock bolts and driveshaft bolts, or just sawzall the driveshaft and angle grind the shock piston rods...

Now that's a loving idea. If I were in the rear end flipping business I'd be all over that, but this is probably a one time deal. Should be short work tomorrow.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I hope you have a lot of patience, or bring spare blades, because those goddamn bolts are hardened. I learned that trying to use a sawzall to cut through them once... it works, but is slow going if you want to not slag the blade.

Make sure you cut in the most economical spot - typically diagonally across the arch of the bolt, if it is a half round ubolt, or "my life sucks"* cut in one of the legs (the one with the stuck nut) if it is a square-top one. Having to cut the drat thing in two spots would just be awful.

Oh, look the hell out when you get about 75% of the way through, I've had them snap at that point and let loose with a hell of a bang - in fact it jumped out of the spring plate and put a dent in the fender well. I was glad I wasn't downrange from it.

* every time I've run into this there is approximately no convenient way to get a clear shot at the leg I have to cut without having 8 elbows and a saw that goes around corners.

Ive got 2 blades laying around so I'll grab them both. I can wiggle both bolts a bit so im not too worried about them rocketing off into my face. I'm going to grab my dremel and approximately four thousand cut off discs because why not. Between all that, my big rear end screwdriver, and my hammer, that axle's coming home with me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Et tu, bootay?

Grimy as gently caress, but it's an 8.5" and it should bolt right in. It came out of a quasi-drag car, but something tells me the internals are probably trashed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ripped into the junkyard 10-bolt tonight. First stop was the passenger tube to check out the factory stamp. Axle code JA, which translates to a 2.73:1 open diff. Hm, that's no good. Now the car this came out of had side pipes, a fiberglass hood, slapper bars, etc. so surely he swapped that out for something a little more serious, right?

Open it up - inspect carrier - count gear teeth

And we have...

...the factory 2.73:1 open diff. No wonder you junked your car, it was probably slow as balls. Idiot. :argh:
Now what the gently caress do I do with a Series 3 open diff carrier?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

Polish it up, put some electric motors on it, and make a little desk ornament.

I could watch something like that for hours.

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Any suggestions for solvents?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

BaT is different this morning and I'm in no mood for things to change or be different today.

Oh what the gently caress is this. This layout blows.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So apparently I am unable to rent a flaring tool that isn't complete loving garbage. First one couldnt center the hole, second one's yoke is all mangled so it won't smash down the second stage of the flare. I want to go back to the parts store and bounce this piece of poo poo off that douchebag's face. This poo poo should have been done last week.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'm going to attempt to sell the wheels off my Nova at an upcoming car show. 15x8 steelies with 235/60 tires. What should I be asking for them that won't make people laugh and walk away?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

"Today, the 250 C would be analogous to the E350 Coupe, which run about $53,000. It’s a far more organic shape that you’d find in the 70′s, but the correlation is still present, most notably the pillar-less design of the hardtop."

Tell him to proofread instead of mucking with the sliders in Photoshop. :v:

"It was ordered with red paint, black exterior, AM/FM radio (a Becker Europa unit), hand crank windows,..." :v:

Pretty drat cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

I actually have the original customer order form with the paperwork with the car, this car was built to suit. What makes it particularly unusual is that it's very much a base model, but with the Becker Europa Stereo radio (stock was the plain Becker Europa, a mono radio) and air conditioning. Typically you'd only see those features in the higher spec 280C. To see them combined with manual transmission and crank windows is unusual. Also typical of the day, most of these cars were weirdo colors, pale shades of greens and yellows are often seen and a denim blue and brown were also popular. Interior colors were typically shades of cream or a offensively permeating blue (to go with the denim blue exterior) that was horrific. To see a red on black is a bit uncommon, and I think the combo has stood the test of time better than most the others seen. When you put that all together I think you find you have a car that feels very normal today, but strangely wasn't when it was built.

I was pointing out another typo like an rear end in a top hat. :) If you've still got it when I finish the Nova, I'll head down to St. Louis and we'll hang out.

What's up with the ITR?

• Locked thread