Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can all knife skins be used for CT/T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wanted to make sure that knife skins didn't have weird behavior because if I do end up blowing the money on a knife I didn't want an unpleasant surprise.

vv: I spend a few bucks here and there because it's chump change. I'd already decided not to get a knife because no matter how I approach it, $90+ for a skin I like is ridiculous. I'll continue buying gun skins for dimes.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 1, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm curious, does Valve have do anything to use existing knives in game? The flip knife is pretty clearly based on the Benchmade Bedlam (down to the axis lock), for example. As far as I know every knife has a real-life counterpart.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 3, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HiipFire posted:

yes

E: apparently gabe newell has a knife collection
He has a huge one and every knife is from it based on what I hear. But what I'm asking is if Valve has to call up Benchmade and be all "hey can we use your Bedlam in our game" and if so, what happens next? Can you just put a digital representation of an assumedly copywritten object? Or whatever you do to things you make and sell.

e: This question is more generic than knives in CS:GO

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
When are frag grenades useful? I play in scrub tier, but I rarely see them bought, and even more rarely see then put to good use.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

down with slavery posted:

All the time. But specifically, when people don't have armor.
Pistol round is when I've seen them used to good effect. Other rounds it's mostly flash/smoke.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Necc0 posted:

Want to damage an enemy but things are in the way of your bullets? Grenades may be for you!!
I understand the concept of a grenade. Barely anyone uses them in silver 2 or 3 or whatever terrible tier I'm in and my higher ranked friends haven't particularly advocated their use.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Well then I'll definitely diversify my grenade buying. Part of the issue for me is the really wimpy/vague graphic coming from games like Titanfall/Tribes/Blacklight/etc. where grenades have really obvious AoE and impact.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If a game is hopeless I buy dualies. I want to love them but they're so bad. The hemoglobin skin is good, though. They actually have a lot of good skins; too bad they're so bad.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FormerFatty posted:

Whats the best way of selling an item without getting scammed? I opened up a case my brother gave me(like an idiot) and got a m9 bayonet fade, factory new. Someone wanted to trade me 400 keys for this, but I have no idea the best way of selling this(Id rather be able to give skins to my friends than have 1 "cool" knife).
PayPal claims they have a robust system for the sale of digital goods but they're also notoriously awful and buyer-favoring, so...yeah. If you don't want to sell on the marketplace I'd be very careful who you sell to. Like, very careful.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any way to fix Deathmatch randomly taking away one of my guns if I have two selected? I often either lose my primary or my secondary reverts to Glock/P2000.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydMj365IR8&t=45s
:supaburn:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Man, what the gently caress determines what you can shoot through? The yellow grates with giant holes in Black Gold are apparently invincible.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I wish I could get more missions. Even if they just gave a chance for a drop (rather than a guaranteed), they're a good push to try new weapons/maps.

If you delete a mission will you get a new one the next time you finish a map?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pliable posted:

I wish the drops from the missions weren't absolute loving garbage. Seriously, would it pain Valve/Hidden Path from having decent drops from the missions? I've gotten some variant of the Storm skin literally 5+ times.
My last two skins were Storm skins in the 2 worst classes of wear. :puckout:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Bots are hilariously worthless. I'd rather just be down a player, because at least a missing player won't repeatedly feed $300 to the enemy team. They're so loving dumb

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ArfJason posted:

take control
That would require me to die before Bot Jenkins, which is pretty hard most of the time.

weekly font posted:

It seems like one of the last updates made them even dumber. You can barely get them to chill in your base now.
Yeah my friend was spamming "hold this position" and after jumping up and down next to the stairs a few times he rushed mid and got splattered.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the best way to practice pistol rounds? Practicing pistols is a nightmare in DM because everyone is running around with AKs AWPs and Negevs and I just get splattered.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Beach Bum posted:

There's pistol-only DM servers with no head armor out there. Find one.
Will do. I do pretty well overall (for my bracket), but I find myself going even on pistol rounds far too often.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Can you report for hacking after the end of a game? I don't want to just make dumb reports.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pliable posted:

You can go to their Steam profile, click More -> Report Violation -> Suspected cheater, but I don't know of any other way to to do it in game.
It's like they want people to make lovely, heat-of-the-moment reports.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nftyw posted:

Thank god a friend talked me out of getting a Breakout pass, I'd have been sick if I bought one two hours ago and then this update hits and they're a dollar :v:
Wait how are they a dollar now? What the gently caress

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I like skins because they look cool and I'm willing to spend some money on a game I enjoy. Some skins cost more than I am willing to pay, and that's fine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a list of a general consensus of which map is sided which way? And, ideally, why they're sided the way they are?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jellidelic posted:

There's this from the csgo website. I'm not sure about any in depth essays about them.
Except for volcanoes blogpost about the train remake he attempted last year.

http://volcanotv.tumblr.com/
Holy poo poo, Aztec. Thanks though, this is good.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does ranking up/down take into account personal performance or is it a standard Elo system that's just wins/losses?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any way to keep the players alive HUD part while dead in a game? I don't like opening scoreboard because I can miss exciting things.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
To keep up the question chain: how do commends work? In Dota 2 they are an embarrassing waste of a mechanic that might as well not exist. I assume it's the same way in CS:GO. But can you get commends from players on your friends list and/or commends from people you queued with?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What limits mission drops? At this rate the Operation is going to end before I get 6 more.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Valve please stop unequipping my guns

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vahakyla posted:

I saw a drop of a red winter offensive case. What the hell?
Was it just colored red or was it actually called a Red Winter Offensive Case?

The Joe Man posted:

Pics? Does it say anything?

Sell it for a billion dollars.
Pretty sure they just saw it and didn't get it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a page that has stats for every gun? Rapidly mousing between guns or opening a bunch of wiki pages is pretty annoying. It'd be nice to e.g. sort everything by armor penetration, both within each weapon class and across all guns.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nftyw posted:

Use the Zeus, sure you'll never kill more than one person but that one person's day is just ruined because they got tazed.
I played a game on Mist where the other team was rushing with tazers. I died an embarassing amount of times; that map is crazy close quarters.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I just watched my friend unbox a minimal wear Slaughter Butterfly Knife. What the hell is that worth?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

One thing I wish you could do is report people while watching demos. I've played quite a few where I thought someone was hacking and reported them, then watched after and, nope, just real lucky. Also had some that I didn't report then after I'd watch and it was pretty clear they were watching through walls and things.

Basically stop making me file false reports just in case Valve you big idiot.
It's almost like Valve wants people to be doing heat-of-the-moment angry reports rather than giving people time to actually check. It really is stupid to not allow reporting from replays.

edit: On an unrelated topic, is the server browser broken? I swear that there are servers that run 24/7 that don't always show up.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 15, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Welcome to silver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EukJTJwAnMo

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Luna Was Here posted:

overwatch seems cool and i'd like to do it since i've slowly learned over the time i've been playing the last month or two how to identify someone who is walling/aim botting (although aim botting is still hard for me to see unless its really obvious) but i have no idea how to qualify. do i actually have to play a lot of ranked mm or will i be able to do it even if i only just play tons of casual games?
150 competitive wins and at least Nova 1 is what I've heard.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

mythadile posted:

Why would it say "you've earned a new rank silver" and I am still the same silver? lifeofsilver.txt
The Groundhog Day of CS:GO.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Apogee15 posted:

I was in the midst of carrying a deagle only game. booo.
I was getting carried hard for my first play on Overpass.

How does CS:GO handle server outages during a game? In Dota the game just un-happens and isn't recorded anywhere ever.

• Locked thread