Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Half the people bitching about Fighter Magic didn't have anything against Book of Nine Swords,

Eh, I don't know about that.

On the other hand, when Paizo copied it into Path of War it seemed much better received, from what I can tell. So there certainly does seem to be a lot of identity politics involved, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought FactsAreUseless told us to stop edition warring in this thread.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought FactsAreUseless told us to stop edition warring in this thread.

He also told you to stop making GBS threads it up, but here we are.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what's going to be the place to talk 5e when this thread is shut down. Dm advice thread?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Speaking of the ToB:Bo9S, is there a 5e equivalent? Homebrew or otherwise?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hell are there third party splats that are worthwhile in general?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Sage Genesis posted:

Eh, I don't know about that.

On the other hand, when Paizo copied it into Path of War it seemed much better received, from what I can tell. So there certainly does seem to be a lot of identity politics involved, yeah.

The important thing to remember is Paizo didn't copy it, they probably couldn't because it wasn't included in the open gaming content, and also they would probably have done a poor job of it. A third party company, who generally does rather good work, did it instead. Along with psychics, and various other late 3.5 stuff that never got a Pathfinder equivalent. Some people have even wanted them to try and continue Pathfinder in the same way that Paizo continued 3.5 by making Pathfinder, since some people are not happy about Pathfinder 2e.

But speaking of Book of Nine Swords it shows that despite what people felt about 4e having at-will, encounter and daily powers that 3.5 had all of those as well before 4e came out. Daily powers obviously in the form of Rage and Spells, Wild Shape and any number of other things. At-will in the form of the Warlock and Reserve Feats that let a caster get an at-will minor spell like ability based off their spells prepared/known. And Encounter, more or less, in the form of Maneuvers from the Book of Nine Swords.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what's going to be the place to talk 5e when this thread is shut down. Dm advice thread?

Ideally, nowhere

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I know there was a guy in this thread who put one up on, what, drivethruRPG? If that person doesn't show up, I'll try to find it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJ Dizzy posted:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/219565

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ryuujin posted:

The important thing to remember is Paizo didn't copy it, they probably couldn't because it wasn't included in the open gaming content, and also they would probably have done a poor job of it.

I mean what's his face the mouse flipper has stated that Tome of Battle was overpowered before, so like, of course Paizo didn't copy it, Paizo's made up of the same grog dumbfucks that hated it in the first place.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Paizo distinguishes itself on the strength of the art department, and not being 4e.

I am a pretty vocal 3.X grognard*, and I cannot stand Paizo because they managed to take 3.5 and make it more broken by doing less analysis.

The complaints about 4e resource management schemes (that aren't stupid) boil down to:
-I don't understand why Fighters have per day use limits, that doesn't make sense to me
-I don't understand why if all these characters are supposed to have different powersources, that the promotional material is selling as being different, why the arcane powers function identically to martial powers as far as resource management goes.

If you look at 3.5 a Warlock plays very differently than a Warblade, because 1 is spamming the same move over and over again because he put all his resources into it to make it kinda not suck, and the other is on a cooldown rotation cycle where he has to basic attack to recover his maneuver hand. To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, 4e didn't hit that point until psions and essentials. Now, you can make the absolutely valid point that the developers at Wizards are far too incompetent to balance these correctly (see: Warlock, Complete Arcane) but it does make the characters leap out as "different" in a way that 4e powers don't really manage.

As far as 5e goes, I don't even know what we're supposed to be discussing because Mearls is terrified of his barely functional sandcastle collapsing and doesn't want to release more books. It's very silly.

*IMO, it's the best of the bad. It still kinda has massive, gaping problems, but so do the rest of them.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've only ever played 5e. I like it and have a Good TimeTM playing it with my friends.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

People who say 4e classes play the same never actually played much 4e

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
One minor Gripe I have with d&d 5e is how loving ugly the dumb black with red splash book spines look on my shelf.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Proud Rat Mom posted:

One minor Gripe I have with d&d 5e is how loving ugly the dumb black with red splash book spines look on my shelf.

Probably I'd go 1st>4th>5th>2nd>3rd for how much I like the look of the books on the shelf. 1st was neat with plain colors and looks unique. 4th looked nice and matched, but a bit bland. 5th is kinda ugly but not bland and mostly matches. 2nd ed was somewhat mismatched fonts/placement/logos on somewhat ugly black gloss. 3rd looks like pls puut JrafFIC DEisNG iS MY PasShUN in nice font luyk Papprtpus.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 22, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Probably I'd go 1st>4th>5th>2nd>3rd for how much I like the look of the books on the shelf. 1st was neat with plain colors and looks unique. 4th looked nice and matched, but a bit bland. 5th is kinda ugly but not bland and mostly matches. 2nd ed was somewhat mismatched fonts/placement/logos on somewhat ugly black gloss. 3rd looks like pls puut JrafFIC DEisNG iS MY PasShUN in nice font luyk Papprtpus.

I read this, laughed, looked over at the 3e books on my shelf and loving guffawed.

3e had pretty good graphic design, but the books definitely didn't match on the spines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hi everyone!

I haven't played D&D for years, but this seems to be the thread about something called D&D Next. Reading the last few pages people seem to be talking about things over than D&D Next. Said things seem to be related, but also appear to be derailing the thread. So Ettin and I chatted and here's the deal:

1. Stop talking about things other than D&D Next. If someone does then report it, ignore it, and move on. Replying to a post about things other than D&D Next is talking about things other than D&D Next. Ettin and I will gladly drop sixers to motivate folks.

2. If you want to bitch about how 3.5 is better than some guy's kickstarted version of 3.141 then make a thread called "Your Edition Sucks" and talk about it there.

Thanks, and have fun rollings 20s. D&D Next still uses those, right?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
so if this is just the D&D Next thread, where can I find the D&D 5e thread?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
We should just make a new thread, the OP here could use some TLC.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

Thread has 1600 pages we could use a new one.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kaysette posted:

I'd be fine with that if someone can whip up a decent effort OP.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ettin posted:

Define decent: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A brief overview of each of the 1st party sourcebooks and adventures?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ettin posted:

Same here. I'm happy to support whatever the community feels is appropriate.

And if it wasn't blatantly clear; I just used "D&D Next" because that's what was in the thread title. Regardless of the designation, my goal is to ensure that a thread is maintained so that people who want to talk about it can do so without being derailed. I believe a new thread would serve that purpose well.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 22, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
There's probably a few useful things to pluck from this threads OP, and having some area for gradenko's excellent website would probably be a good idea too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What does such an OP want? For example, the current one tries to talk about certain core mechanics. Is that even worth the trouble given the complexity of the game and the variety of sources better than a forum post to teach it? (This sounds like a rhetorical question but it's not.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Angrymog posted:

A brief overview of each of the 1st party sourcebooks and adventures?

Done. What else?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

This'll do :toot: