Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Arivia posted:

Translation: 4:59 PM PST.

Hey, it'll be earlier than that!*

*We're on daylight savings time right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

Can't see image. Don't leech from enworld.
Fixed

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
i don't see anything in the stat block about auto-saves per day. Is that a generic rule for all monsters, did they axe it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

treeboy posted:

i don't see anything in the stat block about auto-saves per day. Is that a generic rule for all monsters, did they axe it?
The Lich and others have it as a special ability.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Amethyst posted:

The Lich and others have it as a special ability.

oh that's not so bad then, earlier posts made it sound like a common ability among all higher CR/solo monsters

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

treeboy posted:

It's not a Legendary monster.

Decent saves though, all things considered.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

treeboy posted:

There is going to be a thing the Monster Manual called the Legendary template. You add it to a monster and it gets several unique powers of your choice from the template, extra powers when in it's lair of your choice and a few auto saves.

It's a template you put on a creature to make them a boss monster.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

maybe I'm in the minority, but that actually sounds like a neat template, harsh, but a nice setpiece encounter to cap off an adventure or campaign

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

treeboy posted:

maybe I'm in the minority, but that actually sounds like a neat template, harsh, but a nice setpiece encounter to cap off an adventure or campaign

It's not a bad idea, especially given what a pain it could be to come up with a solo in 4E who could actually give the party a decent challenge. Of course, proof of the pudding, etc.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Am I missing something? Why does that dragon only have four saves listed?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm assuming there are no spells that cause Str or Int saves in the starter set (and maybe even in Basic?). Of course this makes Fighters having proficiency in Str saves all the more hilarious.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Those are the saves it has proficency in. For STR and INT you'd just use the straight bonus. It's not a great way to present the information.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Saves are just stat checks.

If a save isn't listed, you just roll that stat.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

treeboy posted:

It's a neat template that can give them some fun and interesting abilities. The basic idea is that the creature gets a certain number of "legendary action points" per round and different actions cost a different amount of points. Like the creature gets 3 and "recharge breath weapon" costs 1 but "murder the PC you hate the most when they attack you" costs 3, so there's a neat little resource management minigame for the DM to play in there. The problem really just is that the Legendary Saves component is so boring.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LFK posted:

It's a neat template that can give them some fun and interesting abilities. The basic idea is that the creature gets a certain number of "legendary action points" per round and different actions cost a different amount of points. Like the creature gets 3 and "recharge breath weapon" costs 1 but "murder the PC you hate the most when they attack you" costs 3, so there's a neat little resource management minigame for the DM to play in there. The problem really just is that the Legendary Saves component is so boring.

It also strikes me as metagamey. I already see people talking about using it for the wizard instead of the fighter, but let's be real what DM doesn't know his player's kill tricks? Any attempt to force the monster to waste saves on crap spells is just going to see the DM smirk and ride it out. Like i had a DM that used to have monsters be extremely smart about taking AoOs specifically when my character had a reactive ability that keyed off them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Isn't that basically what DMs have historically done "behind the screen" forever anyway? Oh no the Wizard is going to kill the arch vampire pope in one shot unless- oh he made his save! Are you calling me a liar, Tim? Maybe you'd rather DM.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

It's not a great way to present the information.
To put it mildly.
At least it is after attributes and not in an entirely different part of the statblock.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
And it's out.

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
e: Ohmigosh it's out! Nevermind then.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

ERHMAGHAAAD! SERVERS GUNNA CRAAAAAASH!

Or not because, you know, it's a 3mb PDF being hosted on Hasbro's Transformers-fueled servers and not a 2gb WoW patch.

First impression: pleasantly surprised it's vaguely laid out. I was honestly expecting it to look the same as the playtest documents.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Lots and lots to hate with this.

First, Fighter was nerfed extremely hard. Indomitable was made extremely weak, and Defy Death is just gone. Fighters are now going to be pretty drat lovely up against higher level encounters without a christmas tree assortment of items.

Second, mind-bogglingly, opportunity attacks are still a reaction. This is a big problem, because classes need their Reactions for other things, like the rogue's Uncanny Dodge or the Fighter's Protection feature. Since you're limited to 1/round, you can't do both in the same round. If you're holding off three goblins, you can't make any OAs after the first one.

The extreme example that was brought to the Devs attention was the classic "Fighter holds enemies at bay by moving into a narrow hallway to force them to come one at a time". With this, you can have 30 orcs all moving in, attacking, and moving out, and the fighter only gets to take a swing at one of them as they retreat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, there's nothing here that changes my opinion positively.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Reading through this, at first glance it's pretty neat. The Overchannel ability of the wizard is a nice little double-edged ability.

edit: with feats in the game aren't there ways to add additional reactions?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Is this missing content? I don't see the list of Feats or any martial maneuvers.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Chaltab posted:

Is this missing content? I don't see the list of Feats or any martial maneuvers.

The Fighter archetype that uses maneuvers didn't make it in, apparently:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

The Fighter archetype that uses maneuvers didn't make it in, apparently:

the basics pdf only has one archetype for each class

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chaltab posted:

It's the Basic set, so you only get limited options. For martial maneuvers and other complex stuff, you'll have to buy the PHB.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
It's Basic. They said it wasn't going to include everything. And it's also going to be updated. There's a lot to dislike about 5e, but missing content in their bare-ones v0.1 isn't one of them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'll give it another look later, but I'm very disappointed in the design work here. Thinking of nuking my pre-orders...

For example, the skill DCs are still jacked.

And nothing is helping my concern about save DCs. In fact, one of the saving graces - a Fighter ability called Indomitable has been nerfed hard.

e: I knew Basic was stripped down. That's fine. It's the rules work around that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The only difference in the Fighter I can see from my 02/14 Alpha Playtest doc is the Archery Fighting Style got bumped from "+1" to "+2".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Reminder that Next cannot be judged until it's finished.

It will be finished when they start talking about 6e.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Feats were one of the worst parts of both 3e and 4e, so I'm glad they're not part of the Basic rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LongDarkNight posted:

The only difference in the Fighter I can see from my 02/14 Alpha Playtest doc is the Archery Fighting Style got bumped from "+1" to "+2".
October playtest, Indomitable was advantage on all saves at 13th level.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

October playtest, Indomitable was advantage on all saves at 13th level.

February '14 comes after October '13.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

As I enjoyed what they were doing with Feats/Archetypes in the playtests I'll withhold final judgment till I get my hands on the PHB. The Fighter especially gets so many attributes/feats compared to other classes, it could be a pretty big mitigating factor in how they play.

I know it makes some people angry for not fixing some problems, but so far it looks decent to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

whydirt posted:

February '14 comes after October '13.
I know?

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Oh boys, spells.

Arcane Lock gives a lock/door a +10 boost to its DC. Which...just breaks the math and makes the rogue cry.

Dominate Monster and Dominate Person are in as 8th and 5th level spells respectively and it's mindrape that.

Earthquake is basically "Destroy Castle and everyone inside"

Fighters at max level get three uses of the incredible (not really) Indomitable ability. Clerics of max level can cast

with the super flexible casting mechanic because they know all spells all the time and can prepare new ones every day.

Oh, and Knock

DC 10000 lock holding in the key to ultimate power? Sure, why not. gently caress rogues.

Crippling debuff that doesn't allow saves until the victim starts burning actions? Cool. COOL!

More than all of that though, the spells shown aren't all that great at doing damage, goddamn do they throw out powerful buffs and crippling debuffs. But what really gets me is that they are also so many goddamn problem solvers. Knock, Passwall, Find the Path, Locate Creature, Teleport, Gate, on and on and on, spell after spell that lets the wizard and cleric solve the campaign in just a few minutes and make otherwise daunting and exciting challenges trivially easy.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The post you quoted was talking about changes from the Febrary playtest docs, so the change to indomitable had already been made if I'm reading it correctly. I guess I just don't understand what your reply has to do with the quoted post.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

whydirt posted:

The post you quoted was talking about changes from the Febrary playtest docs, so the change to indomitable had already been made if I'm reading it correctly. I guess I just don't understand what your reply has to do with the quoted post.
I was explaining what version I was referring to, pointing out that it was stronger in the one I was referring to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

More than all of that though, the spells shown aren't all that great at doing damage, goddamn do they throw out powerful buffs and crippling debuffs.
On the hopeful side, I'm wondering how well Concentration will throttle that. I think I'll need to see it in play.