Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is this pretty much Wizard Supremacy? Knock/Wizard Lock, ability to do more damage, ability to do everything a fighter or thief can do?

Or is the game more balanced than 1st and 2nd Ed? It's clearly not as flat as 4th Ed was (though I barley played it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Piell posted:

So the other thread discovered this:

So wizards can use any of these spells at any time without spending a spell slot or even memorizing them.

I was feeling good about the game...but then I read this and go back to the other thread and now I don't know what to think.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I should join the 21st Century and get a laptop or ipad program to organize and run my 5th ed D&D campaign. Any one have some suggestions on what a good tool would be?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Do people using weapons require a bag full of different weapons to be able to kill things like they did in 3E? Silver/Cold Iron/Admanatine etc. Even if it's half damage, wouldn't you want one of everything for all occasions?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm planning on playing the starter set next week when it comes out in Australia. Three of us want to act as DM's for old times sake, and prevent burnout. How could we split up the adventure so we can each DM a part? From what I've heard there's different smaller locations we could each do, is that correct?

If you play 3-4 hours a session, how many sessions is the starter set expected to take?

How tied into Forgotten Realms is the adventure? I want to create our own collaborative world (and one of the DM's has an ongoing 3.5 game already set in FR).

Does the starter set adventure tie in to the module's coming out about Tiamat?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mirthdefect posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the starter set who isn't in North America? I'm in NZ and everything got pushed back (as of this morning, the 15th) to the 25th. Book Depository (UK) has it listed as available but not being actually published until the 25th. Australian websites still seem to be listing it as a pre-order but often with no date attached.

I remember reading that some Australians were upset they weren't getting it at WoTC partnered stores early like the US did, but getting it even later than gen-pop is pretty awful.

The game came out today in AUS (multiple places in Melbourne had it). None of the WoTC places had it till today.

Played the first part of the adventure. The cleric was man of the match, constantly hitting when the fighter, mage and thief would all miss, and when they would hit, the cleric would roll max damage that round instead. Both her spells were needed to heal the thief from 0 hp. Hopefully part 2 will involve some role playing with NPC's and some operational choices. It took 90 minutes or so to make characters from scratch as we read the rulebook, and finished the final fight of the 1st part in 3.5 hours. One of us was completely new to roleplaying, and I don't think the 1st part is a particularly good introduction though :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DalaranJ posted:

Hold on, what? This was a part of the game that I thought Next would surely improve over 3rd/4th. What took so long?

Choosing customer backgrounds mostly, and having to read the rules on what skill/weapon/armour/spell X does. Now that I'm familiar with the rules making a character (and having a copy of the basic rules for myself, we needed another copy printed out) I would expect it would take probably about 20 to 30 minutes. I choose the pre-packaged equipment list's, which still take a bit of time to write it all down. The time would cut to 10 minutes if there was an online program to fill in all the details for you.

The Cleric was MVP also for having the highest armour class in the party (the fighter was playing as a barbarian with a big axe, so didn't have the +2AC from a shield) and was actually using the dwarf cleric from the pre-made characters, as she was totally new to roleplaying. The fighter would often charge in (like any good barbarian would) and go very low in hits, and the cleric would still be standing there unhit and swinging her warhammer and rolling 20's, 8's and seeing goblins fail their dodge roll from her cantrip. The Godz were on her side the entire way.

I really need to get the spells printed on cards, having to look up the rule book every time for "what does spell Y do" was very time consuming. I would buy spell cards from WoTC in a heartbeat.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I haven't played a Human thief in a long long time, and not having night vision to see in the dungeon was a rude awakening. The 1st encounter in the 1st cave hits you over the head with it. What's the way around that problem, where most monsters and dungeon dwelling humanoids can see in the dark? Apart from asking the wizard to do it :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Judgement posted:

The Spellplague didn't go far enough. Burn the Forgotten Realms to the ground.

Didn't the Spellplague blow up the Al-Qadim area to be a smoking hole in the ground without the radiation, and the Maztica continents are no longer located on the planet? So 2 out of 4?

Personally, I hope they bring Spelljammer back.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 21, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is the basic rules going to be rewritten or added too when the manuals come out? If so, it seems to be worthwhile holding off printing a copy till later.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think I would have liked playing 4E on a PC, either as a game, or with friends via Skype. But I didn't enjoy it as a table top role playing game - to me it was a tabletop war game with events that occurred outside combat. Warhammer Quest did that game much better.

I liked 3.5 up to about level 7 when wizards just started winning everything and everything got too complicated with spells for every monster. Didn't like it after that.

I played a lot of 2nd edition and not using half the rules, and never worrying about spells because we never got above 3rd level. Before that I played the Red Box D&D over and over again just playing the same dungeon.

I've played 3 sessions of the Starter Kit dungeon, as a player and a GM, and so far I like it. Combat is fast (so far, at low level), roleplaying is easy (not too many skills to keep track off), and character backgrounds are there as part of character creation.

I don't like having to look up spells - more complicated that 4th ed and I really want some spell cards, and I'm not sure the game will be fun past 5th level when wizards rule and monsters have big spell lists, but so far, it's good.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 5, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have just been informed the Australia distributor has advised that everyone will be getting the Players Manual several days late :(

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I ran my 3rd game last night - finished the manor house in the Starter set. Only 3 players- Barbarian (was fighter, he changed with the PHB), Fighter/Rogue and Cleric (from the stater set). Everyone did something, we had fun, the enemy wizard tried to cast hold person which the Barbarian saved against, and then he got splatted.

Make one class NPC only. They make good villains.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm getting back into D&D after a false start when 5th ed came out. I'm planning on a being a Ranger..and then I read this and that which tells me that the Ranger class in my version of the players manual is bad and I should feel bad for wanting to play a Ranger because the Ranger is the WORST and wanting to be a Ranger makes you a awful person. Thank you WOTC.

Is there an official update from the original version somewhere rather than a playtest version?