Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I haven't played D&D in ages, having been mostly played World of Darkness, Unknown Armies, and Fate Core recently. I've decided to take a look at D&D 5e and the main question I have is this:

Why in the gently caress can I not buy a digital copy of this game in 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm only just learning about Healing Word now and that's a really cool way of letting clerics heal in combat while still doing other stuff. Also finding out now lets me anticipate my players asking me the difference between healing word and cure wounds.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Dwarves should be Scandinavian.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Bounded accuracy. Huh. Every loving day I read a new thing about 5e in this thread that I have not gotten from the PHB. I started off thinking that this was basically 3e with some of the ideas from 4e, which isn't wrong but it has some new concepts too. Is there somewhere that gives a good rundown of what's different between 3e and 5e?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The Dregs posted:

Alright! I got a DM gig dumped in my lap. I have two days to come up with an adventure and possible campaign for 5 4th level characters. All melee. 2x Paladins, barb, ranger, and monk. I haven't played 5e much at all, and I've been out of the loop for awhile. I think I want to do something like Darkest Dungeons, where they can have a town and castle if they clear the hideous, mind-shredding, monsters from it. I want it to be semi-sandbox.

I don't have time to come up with the various layouts and encounters by Saturday. Can any of you guys point me towards some premade stuff that might fit the bill? Payed content is fine.

That group sounds like the cast of Predator.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 13, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The thing I'm taking away from all of this is that the guy who voices McCree in Overwatch made a Gunslinger class for D&D, which is a little on the fuckin' nose.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm working on a pseudo-Carribean setting for an upcoming game. I'm planning to start with a lightly adapted version of Lost Mines of Phandelver because my players are mostly brand new and I'm new to 5e, but I'm wondering what other published (or fan-made) adventures or supplements might be good for buckling swashes. Any thoughts? I will also gratefully accept advice and tips for DMing 5e.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm offended on your behalf that your sacred warsteed bestowed upon you by your god was a fuckin donkey.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Maybe I'm just picky but I only want to pay for a digital book if it's, you know, a digital book. Not a subscription to a webpage on someone else's server.

I mean it isn't the same thing but I still have the 2e PHB that I bought in 1994. I have pdfs of RPGs that I bought probably a decade ago. I have absolutely no idea if, were I to buy a D&D Beyond PHB, I would be able to go look at it in 15 years to make arguments about how much better it is than 7th edition.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Here's what I did.

I bought a bunch of these and then got a bunch of roll20 tokens, sized them in photoshop so they were an inch around, and had them printed on adhesive paper at kinkos. Then I punched them out with a 1" circle punch, available at craft stores in the scrapbooking section, and applied the stickers to the tokens.

Similar plan is to get a bunch of these and print out 1" tokens on paper or cardstock and stick the stickers on them. That might look better than the first thing, but I did that before I found out the epoxy stickers exist.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

EDIT: Disregard, I think I forgot what this discussion was about.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

This is so stupid I would definitely allow it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

You could watch TV while your significant other talks to you and not get in trouble.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Sometimes something reminds me of why I paid for these forums.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Ran my first 5e game for a bunch of new players last night using Lost Mine of Phandelver (reskinned). They managed to make enough noise to alert a roomful of goblins, then retreated back to the entrance to the cave and waited while the entire cave roused against them. They severely injured a lot of the goblins with the Dragonborn's lightning breath, then the druid entangled the remainder. The Dragonborn then made an intimidate check consisting of dropping trou and showing the goblins his enormous, uh, bad dragon. He rolled a natural 20 on this. Anyway with advantage and a mass of stuck goblins it was a slaughter that ended quickly. Klarg's wolf got one-shot by a sneak attack and Klarg got whittled down by various attacks.

Everyone had a good time, but were very silly. The party members were named Michael Sweet (Blue Dragonborn Fighter), Sphinctrela (Copper Dragonborn Sorcerer), Kaa (Lizardfolk Druid, originally named J'Nifer), Lil' Halfsies (Halfling Rogue), Augurbucket (Dwarf Rogue), and Snickerdoodle Dickman (Dwarf Cleric).

EDIT: All of these players were older than 30.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

And then everyone hates you while you take 13+ actions per round.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Oh yeah that's cool then. And really at the table I'd just say "All my skeletons attack THAT GUY" and roll 12d20 at once.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I dearly love the image of someone giving an inspiring speech to a bunch of skeletons.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's cool. Even if you don't own the products you can still get most of the monster art off Beyond.

Edit: Huh this is interesting. You can buy individual parts of books.

You can buy the rules for individual spells for 2 bucks a pop.

EDIT: "Get the 58 spells from Player's Handbook for use on D&D Beyond. You may also purchase individual spells."

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

esquilax posted:

You can also buy all the spells from the PHB for $5.

All 58 of them I guess? I'm no good at math but... :confused:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

So I had a really good idea for a stupid wild magic offshoot where the wizard, instead of rolling on the wild table, grabs the top card on a deck of cards against humanity and that card is the resulting spell instead

:stonk:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

MTV Crib Death posted:

I copied gradenko's table into my little DM notebook and that's all I need for making encounters on the fly. I just dream up whatever poo poo I want and then give them level-appropriate stats. I only look at the monster manual for the art now and sometimes to steal special abilities.

You could probably also just note down the details of a handful of fairly general special abilities and tailor them to taste without touching the MM at all.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Volo's guide to monsters has a bunch of races.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'd say if you take off the extra Con damage it's in line with other cantrips, if that's your goal. As a racial ability, I think I would do "When a creature within 5 squares of you is reduced to 0 hit points, add your Con modifier as damage to your next attack roll." Maybe make it once per short rest? I'm not a math guy.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I can see planning some dialog, like exposition monologues or some specific phrases you want the NPCs to drop.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I demanded 5e Spelljammer.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Spelljammer's cosmology was designed to plug into all the settings, IIRC.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I cut my teeth on Pool of Radiance for the NES.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

From what I gathered OrcPub offered a lot more than most other resources, and it was all executed far better than Beyond or a huge PDF. I wasn't really using the site, though, and I wasn't aware that they were charging for content which is kind of a red flag.

Not that there's anything wrong with MPMB's pdfs, they're pretty loving great, but they're still giant slow PDFs.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

Argh, okay. I was unable to convince my group to go with 4th edition, so I'll be running 5th for the first time in a week and a half. My first encounter that I have planned is the same one I ran in an aborted PbP game here on SA a few years ago (I apparently suck at PbP, and I'm sorry). I've also run it for a different group (in person) to resounding success, lots of fun and excitement by all. Got rave reviews.

In summary, they need to fight two wyrmling dragons on a set of three ships while a ginormous ancient red dragon causes... hazardous terrain. They can drive the ancient red off by using ballistae mounted on the ships, but the ballistae are difficult to use single handedly and the crew never bothered to train on them, leaving it to the party to make their skill checks while also handling everything else. It's a great big bloody chaotic mess that kicks off the story with a bang, and...

I have no idea how to run it in 5th edition instead of 4th. In 4th, the ancient dragon didn't even have a monster stat block, it was written solely as a skill challenge with various attacks akin to traps that could be avoided with acrobatics checks and the like. In 4th edition, level 1 players can survive doing all this while ALSO fighting two wyrmling dragons, who, as elites at that level, put up a significant challenge of a fight in their own rights. But in 5th edition... my understanding is that level 1 characters are FAR more squishy.

Will I have to nix 1 or both of the wyrmlings to make this fair in 5th edition? I'm certainly keeping the ancient dragon-as-skill-challenge part, but I have no intuitive feel for how to keep combat fair in 5th edition yet, and I could really use advice. I'd like the skill challenge to include SOME sort of combat, but what is fair? What is SURVIVABLE given the chaos the ancient dragon skill challenge will bring? This encounter should be extremely difficult, but also POSSIBLE, and I don't know where that line is.

Help?

How new are your players? I would only do level 1 characters with brand new players who need to get used to the game before picking subclasses and whatever. If your group knows how D&D works in general, just start at level 4.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It depends a lot on your party makeup, but if you give your players max HP, and maybe extra they can probably survive that. I gave my level 1 newbies their level 2 HP at level 1, and also maxed that. Be prepared to fudge things a bit if the dragon starts just completely destroying them.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

A 14 Dex fighter in scale mail and a shield has 18 AC. a 14 Dex Warlock in studded leather has 14 AC. If you give him his Cha bonus to ac, he'll have 17 AC (assuming 16 Cha).

If the +Cha only works while unarmored, the same 14 Dex 16 Cha Warlock has 15 AC.

If the +Dex and +Cha are both capped at +2 because he's wearing scale mail and a shield, he'll have 20 AC.

Personally I lean toward letting my players be more resilient than not. Combined with the fact that he's going to need an Invocation to do it and that he's got to deal with needing at least three ability scores to survive in melee, I'd probably let the Cha bonus work as long as he's wearing light or no armor. I'd probably also let Blade Pact warlocks swap their Wis save proficiency for Con save proficiency.

EDIT: Mage Armor and a shield would give him 20 AC. I might add a "no shields" clause to the Invocation.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2017

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

I missed 4e completely but I'd heard it characterized as kind of MMO-ified? Like in terms of mechanics and such.

I definitely feel this way, but I don't really consider it an insult. I didn't play much 4e but what felt very "MMO" to me was giving all the classes a set of specific abilities that all functioned the same way and operated on cooldowns. Whereas in 3rd edition a given character based on their choice of feats and multi-classing could do all sorts of stupid, unpredictable things, in 4e a Fighter pretty much seemed to play like a Fighter every time and could be assumed to have a particular set of "buttons" to press in combat, some of which were at-will and could be "spammed" and some were per-encounter and thus "cooldown" abilities. Multi-classing was a lot less powerful and made much lighter changes to your character build. Again, this isn't a bad thing, but it made the game feel a lot more restrictive than 3e when it came out. It is absolutely, from my limited experience, the most mechanically sound version of D&D to date.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, sorry, I phrased that badly. I meant in terms of builds, like, well, stupid trip gimmicks. I am absolutely not trying to argue that a 4e fighter has fewer combat options than a 3e fighter. I am in agreement with you both and defer to the knowledge of experienced 4e players where I am mistaken.

I am not looking at a 4e book and don't have very much experience with 4e at all. This is my memory of reading the 4e PHB when it came out.

I guess what I'm saying is that the streamlined, reliable mechanics in 4e reminded me of the same sort of mechanics in World of Warcraft. Like, in 4e you pick a class, you pick a spec, and that's what you use as you level up and unlock new abilities. In Wow, you pick a class, you pick a spec, and that's what you use as you level up and unlock new abilities. In 3e, you pick a class, then you take a feat, and you pick another class and maybe a completely unrelated feat, possibly with a coherent goal in being the best at bull rushing or whatever or possibly based entirely on a whim. At level 6-10 if you've been planning you probably take another special class!

Basically 3e characters were all over the place and had a ton of build options that ranged from incredibly powerful to actively detrimental and there was nothing except the DM to stop you from picking insane stupid options, like a ranger/sorcerer/monk or something. 4e character builds seemed like you'd have to make a real effort to pick something that wasn't at least basically functional. If you were used to having a ton of build options at every turn 4e seemed restrictive and "on-rails" because it reined in a lot of the madness of 3e, and the immediate comparison a lot of people would make would be to MMOs, because those are also RPG games that strive for mechanical balance and character development that is effective without system mastery and so they use a lot of the same techniques.

If anything 5e is the most MMO like because it categorizes loot by item rarity.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Is it me or do githyanki kind of suck for anything you might want to do with one

They get +2 strength, which is nice, but then they get light and medium armor proficiency which seems dumb because anyone who wants strength already has that. They also get lovely spells based on Intelligence, except misty step which is good.

Githzerai are much better overall.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Comedy option, turn into something big and roll and stomp around in it to smother it. Sure you'll take a bunch of damage, but that goes away when you turn back :v:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I'm not convinced that there's any reason not to change short rest powers to encounter powers, frankly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Open with a bunch of grey dwarves who keep falling over, cutting themselves with their own swords, dropping their weapons, getting tangled up in armor. There's got to be a better way!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My point was more like, you have a druid so they may well take the frontline role and you need not constrain yourself based on that. Play who you want.

Yeah, make something fun to play and it'll work out. Your party has two characters who can do front-line melee fighting, so I don't think you should feel too compelled to assume that role. What I would do is take a full caster and focus on buffing the other two and debuffing enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Actually that sounds kind of like a fun idea. Have each character start off as a level 1 wizard, but with no spells. You might want to set up a custom class for this game that has a higher hit die and more skills or whatever. Anyway make a course catalog and have them choose which classes they want to take, and each time they go to a given class, they learn a new spell in that class. In between classes, they have Potteresque adventures. You could break it up with lots of downtime so that each year of school is a level of spells, so first years all learn cantrips, second years start getting 1st level spells, and so on. So the first year, one guy takes Illusion 101 and learns Minor Image, another guy takes Beginner's Thermal Dynamics and gets Freezing Ray, the next guy takes Probability Magic and gets Guidance, and so on. Then they have to, I don't know, catch the Kobold who broke into the school kitchen before Not-Hagrid gets in trouble. Then it's the next week, classes are working on another spell, this time Illusion guy gets Dancing Lights, Thermal Dynamics guy learns Produce Flame, Probability guy gets True Strike, and so on. Obviously this is off the top of my head, but I think it could work pretty well.