Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

PicklePants posted:

I kind of see the side kicks as a way... for the DM to make sure the party is fleshed out like it need to be. Lacking a cleric? There you go. Need a thief? Boom. Need a little extra damage to get through stuff? Disposable front line fighter.

It's pretty unexciting.

There was a 3.5 build called Ted the Enabler that was really impressive. It was a maximum utility character that did every single thing that needed to happen, so that the other players could play whatever they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Arthil posted:

but I do think you guys sometimes drag old baggage into how you interpret every little thing.

I could make a big ol' block of text, but basically we are dragging old baggage into how we interpret things, and so are they. This is the authors going out of their way to bring up tired, silly criticisms of 4e, to score coolness points. And for 4e players, it's them letting us know, again, that things we liked in 4e aren't coming back anytime soon. It's grating.

Edit: Everyone likes analogies, right? Amazon sometimes ships tiny items huge boxes. It's weird as hell, and just a waste of cardboard, why do this, it's dumb. Amazon is dumb.

Someone shows up, and says "Amazon sometimes puts small things in larger packages so that there's less open space on the truck. They're playing truck Tetris. It seems silly, but making sure things don't slide around in a truck makes sure packages don't get scuffed or broken as often."

People still say using big packages is dumb, it's a waste, it's weird as hell, a new person takes over, stops doing that, makes an ad saying "The new Amazon, now without those dumb oversized boxes!", while a bunch of things we ordered are getting scuffed and broken for no reason.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 19, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

So, as you can see, dragging previous baggage into the conversation is basically what this thread is for.

NGDBSS posted:

As someone who works at an Amazon warehouse the real issue is that a lot of those clowns won't properly stack poo poo unless you put them through months of training. (That said, yeah it's a lot faster to make idiot-proof containers than to spend time beating the bad habits out of the idiots.)

This is the fight in a nutshell. You shouldn't have to be a systems master to make a good fighter. To a certain degree, fighters should come with the capacity to do their job, so that someone completely new can get in on the action.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 20, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

It's a dumb joke, but it's well done

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I remember getting into an argument with a DM, because my character was trying to jump a gap. He wanted me to roll Dexterity, I wanted to roll Strength.

People get hung up on things.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
There's total options and meaningful options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Speaking of the ToB:Bo9S, is there a 5e equivalent? Homebrew or otherwise?

I know there was a guy in this thread who put one up on, what, drivethruRPG? If that person doesn't show up, I'll try to find it