Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Nihilarian posted:

Who is Zak S?

A man with opinions so foul and beliefs so moronic and offensive that the combination of him and Tarnowski being credited makes this game worse than all the lovely wizard-supremacy and bad game design ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Quoted from the chat thread:

neongrey posted:

Man, so I really didn't like the 'sex' paragraphs in the new D&D-- some choices of language I was not happy with at all (like hermaphroditic, or the dwarf misgendering joke, or 'man trapped in a female body').

So when RPZip was talking about jargon and page space and all of that on IRC I was like 'gently caress it, I can do it in the same amount of words'. It's not perfect, but hey~

quote:

Original:

Sex

You can play a male or female character without gaining any special benefits or hinderances. Think about how your character does or does not conform to the broader culture's expectations of sex, gender, and sexual behavior. For example, a male drow cleric defies the traditional gender divisions of drow society, which could be a reason for your character to leave that society and come to the surface.

You don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender. The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon's image. You could also play a female character who presents herself as a man, a man who feels trapped in a female body, or a bearded female dwarf who hates being mistaken for a male. Likewise, your character's sexual orientation is for you to decide.

Total: 150 words
------
1st draft:

Gender Roles

You can play a character of any gender without any mechanical effect, but you can consider how that might affect your roleplay. You might think about how your character's gender and personality relate to their culture's expectations of them. Do people think it's unusual that your fighter is a woman? Did your drow cleric leave for the surface because his temple wouldn't accept him?

Neither do you need to conform to binary notions of gender. Elves and dwarves are often perceived as androgynous in two very different ways, for example. You could also play a character who feels no gender applies to them, or a woman who was born with a male body. Don't forget the prevalence of magic lets you explore these possibilities in ways you couldn't in real life, no matter what your own gender is. Your character's identity is entirely up to you!

Total: 148 words

(I also put it up on my g+ here)

Frankly, I think that, though admirable, they could have done a hell of a lot better with the paragraph.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

The neat, concise presentation of 4e rules - especially powers - was often held against it by people who felt that everything being presented the same way meant that everything was the same.

Seriously, though, RPGs would be better off if they took a page from 4e's book re: clarity of rules. I mean, it certainly wasn't perfect (though they tightened the wording up every book release), but just having clearly denoted rules blocks (the layout of powers is unmatched in RPGs) and unambiguous statements, as well as removing intrusive fluff (there is no goddamn reason to use feet to measure distance if you only measure it in 5 ft. increments and mandate a grid), put it leagues ahead of any other RPG.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

treeboy posted:

reverse engineered

I think that would require there to be engineering in the first place. From what we've seen, all monster abilities seem to be assigned based on ~verisimilitude~.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who gives a poo poo about about a formula. Pretty much no one will give a poo poo about a formula.

People who make monsters?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Perhaps D&D should get like... actual mechanics for non-combat gameplay. Then it might be reasonable to have feats be shared between combat and non-combat benefits instead of the current divide, which is 'fixed mechanical benefit' and 'fluff bullshit that doesn't do jack poo poo concretely'.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Edit: Also who gave me my new title. Also I don't think I was stupid our views on how this stuff should work is just different.

No, actually, what you said was pretty drat stupid. Though a user title's a bit much; I thought that the thread title change was funny enough.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Something like one of the Mage Wars binders?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I want a D&D where you play "lands" except instead of Island and Mountain they're stuff like Mana and Stamina and you need to tap 1 Mana, 1 Stamina, and 1 power point of any "color" to execute an Eldritch Slash or whatever.

I agree, an adaptation of Vlaada Chvatil's Mage Knight board game to an RPG would own.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Another problem with damage bonuses is psychological - if I have to choose between the thing that will give me a slight bonus 100% of the time (a +1 to hit and damage, which affects a hell of a lot of atomic actions in the system) and something with a bigger, more flavorful effect that I can't guarantee will come into play, I'm gonna choose the constant thing.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortal, which is the version of Basic D&D collected in the Rules Cyclopedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Except that that analogy has no relation whatsoever to the way that 4e balances combat math. Like, at all.