Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I loved 4E but my players quickly grew bored of it. I believe that it kinda forced them to engage tactically during combat while 3.x felt much more free form. Two of my hard-roleplayer friends easily endured 3.x combat because it was a nasty, bruttish affair carried on by the optimizers but they got extremely bored during 4E because every combat played out like a boardgame within a roleplaying game. I think 4E is probably the most elegant and balanced of all the editions of dnd but maybe it's narrower in its appeal compared to 3.x or 5E :iiam:

Incidentally, I've put together part of my old group -the hard roleplayers- for a Vampire campaign and afterwards I convinced them to try 5E. They are having a blast with unoptimized and ill-suited-for-combat characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU