Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Uh RPZip Hoard of the Dragon Queen is out, that's an official published adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Nah.

Versmimilitude: This world doesn't behave the way I expect it to.

Disassociative Mechanics: The rules and the dice lead to getting in my character's head being different than it is in other RPGs I've played.

As such most people find fighters who need to worry about fatigue to be disassociative if they are used to 3.X.

A barbarian can end her rage as a free action and is fatigued after rage for a number of rounds equal to 2 times the number of rounds spent in the rage. A barbarian cannot enter a new rage while fatigued or exhausted but can otherwise enter rage multiple times during a single encounter or combat. If a barbarian falls unconscious, her rage immediately ends, placing her in peril of death.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Because having a castle and an army to put in it is pretty sweet. Because gaining that stuff gave high level warriors and rogues their own sort of narrative power alongside the crazy high level magic. Because D&D hasn't just been about dungeon crawling since Dragons of Despair came out.

Mind you, getting rid of that stuff wasn't a 4E sin. It was a WotC sin that began with 3E.

If you say one more bad thing about Power of Faerun I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grimpond posted:

man, what kind of 4e did you play where you didn't get to be part of a larger narrative? that's pretty lame if it happened like that

Evidently he skipped reading Reavers of Harkenwold. Ever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

Did I alone get the version of the rulebook with Epic Destinies?

Those don't count because they don't have tables with the costs of erecting curtain walls in different materials.

edit: called it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

What are you guys doing with your games where anything about the game mechanics have such heavy bearing on the storytelling?

Playing 3e. Ever.

3e is the kind of game where they specifically called out elements as being like "no really THIS ONE is okay to make up whatever you want with as a DM, even though that's normally anathema. it's okay, you can ignore the rules for this one. shhh, don't cry. it'll be okay. you can do it. shhh."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

it comes down to feeling 5e is a more open ended game, where the focus as a DM isnt on creating varied encounters, and creating reasons to string awesome action setpieces together.

What the gently caress is wrong with that? OH NO I NEED TO PUT MORE COOL poo poo IN MY GAME THAT'S FUN FOR ME AND MY PLAYERS OH WOE

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

This is true. I should really be running this in OpenQuest, except trying to mash in the framework of D&D 5 has given me lots of ideas.

Or ACKS, which is entirely about simulating fantasy economies. Why are you complaining about D&D not fitting this idea for a campaign that doesn't match D&D at all? You are literally the problem. Also an idiot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Because you are whining about D&D not fitting your special snowflake game when you are being a special snowflake. You are so dull it's blinding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

Why cant I play D&D however I want? And umm, I'd be interested in hearing about some of these alleged games with amazing, well thought out economic systems.

holy poo poo we JUST told you. ACKS. REIGN. gently caress off.

Don't use your idiot ideas as criticisms of what D&D isn't or should be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

Because it doesn't let you and it never will

The game you want to play is not D&D, and never will be, sorry

It's like voluntarily giving yourself Stockholm Syndrome, complete with loving d20s more than they're worth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

I want to run D&D because i am having a poo poo ton of fun deconstructing the implicit assumptions in D&D.

Great, go whine somewhere else. No one here gives a gently caress about your masturbation session.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Perhaps, but how easily can you ignore those mechanics to play Civilization instead?

Not easily because Bureaucracy Charms! :iit:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

4E "tanking" isn't even MMO tanking. Its forcing a decision of "hit me or suffer." How do so many grogs miss the point of 4E's mechanics.

Look I play WoW and I like 4e, therefore it is for WoW MMO babbies like me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rannos22 posted:

I suppose it would be too mmo to include fighter attacks that imparted some sort of disadvantage to the enemy instead of just dealing 1dX damage. Wasn't there some AD&D or 2e or whatever splatbook that had all kinds of cool fightery things they could drawn some inspiration from if they were forcing themselves to make this the grog edition?

BECMI's weapon proficiencies did cool poo poo like that, but D&D doesn't exist. Never has nope.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Why did they bring this back? WHY? This was the thing that made me swear to never again run 3E or PF. I hate it hate it hate it. It's just as unintuitive and cumbersome to deal with as it was in 3E. Sorry, this was the deal breaker, I'm not running 5E. I'll gladly play in it, but I will never, ever, take the GM's helm at any point for this edition. I'm not dealing with the headache of trying to figure out the arbitrary nature of setting difficulty for encounters again, only to be proven wrong when they're actually set in motion. You know what would have been better? A loving exp budget that makes sense, based on the party's level, and you can adjust the budget to higher or lower level tiers in order to appropriately gauge an encounter's difficulty relative to party size and level. You know, kind of like how 4E fixed this loving problem Jesus Christ I am angry at elfgames.

Just FYI, Pathfinder uses xp budgets for encounter creation. It has a table like the above, but that's just the math already done for you. Encounter creation can still be a little wonky, but that's just monster differences.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

greatn posted:

5e rocks though. It is really the most ergonomic and easy to play game in the DnD franchise. Its great. I've run threw sessions now and everyone had a ton of fun. I thought this would be a thread of people discussing the game, instead it is a thread of everyone whining it isn't exactly like their precious 4e that everybody except this forum hates. You're all a bunch of grognards.

That everybody except this forum hates. Are you mad people here like fair, easy, consistent gameplay or something?

edit: Also people call my Pathfinder sessions a ton of fun. But it's still Pathfinder - the RPG equivalent of a root canal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I agree and if you really want to play a fighter that must suck. But I was hoping to show why someone might enjoy 3.5 or 5 more than 4 despite issues of balance.

No it is bad stop hurting yourself you are wrong stop hurting yourself *throws pillows at you*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mendrian posted:

"Everybody else hates 4e, get with the times grognards" is a sentiment that has so many beautiful shades of irony woven into it that it is like a rainbow of frustration.

It's a Prismatic Internet Spray! On a 1, you cannot act for 1d4 rounds. Instead, you start yelling about bringing the magic of glaive-guisarmes back.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

4e's crunch was overwhelmingly focused on combat and combat balance. Stuff that want useful for combat, but was useful narratively was minimal. Look at the 3E spell Storm of Vengeance. It's high level, and pretty useless against high level threats. But it's a spell that could wipe out an entire army of regular joes. Of course, the DM could place a macguffin that's capable of it, but it's not the same as a player having a problem and finding a solution I'm his toolbox that the DM didn't have to build into the scenario.

Oh GOD 4e made the TERRIBLE MISTAKE of focusing on detailing the game that DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS historically DOES WELL and is THE MAJOR ACTUAL FOCUS OF PLAY, not THE PART I WISH THE GAME WAS ACTUALLY ABOUT.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

You know, there are a lot of good arguments here about why I should be running 13th Age instead of 5e, or even something like Legend, but I'm really done with 4e. It's not any one thing. Its a bunch of things.

Like the stomachache you get from it not being "real" D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

AD&D had a table of random prostitutes to roll so they could ensure you met women in town, and a note that female wizards could be confused for said prostitutes.

Someone else in the thread advertised for the Judges Guild material on women, which detailed that they were all conniving whores out to seduce and trick men because they were lesser creatures.

5e's fanbase!

Here's the Fatal and Friends bit on the Judges' Guild pages. Has to be seen to be believed - and don't forget, this material is a "classic!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dairy Power posted:

I was watching a video about GM preparation with Steven Lumpkin and Adam Koebel (co-author of Dungeon World) and they unironically talked about the importance of verisimilitude. Should I discount everything they said?

Also, Adam was talking about *liking* 5e in some of his other videos and idk. Makes me wonder if I was wrong about Dungeon World being a good game, ya know?

People can have good ideas and bad opinions. Jonathan Tweet is a evolutionary psychology dork. I was reading a lot of good gaming advice from the Alexandrian recently, one of Zak S's biggest supporters. Etc etc etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Talmonis posted:

:rolleyes:

You know you can just do what the vast majority of folks did with 4th edition and pretend it doesn't exist right? No need to go on about WoW kiddies or Prostitute tables grogs or what have you.

Sure, except this is literally the bellwether and most prominent part of our favourite hobby. Like it or not, we're all invested in D&D and its future, unless we want to dwindle away into true grog-dom.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean it isn't as if it's hidden, literally every time someone talks about "FINALLY I can do the things I couldn't in 4e!" the example is every singe time "break the game as a spellcaster."

In that example, it was just superceded with "Get a magic item that lets me"

Well there are some things you can't do in 4e, or that the game would crumble in your hands and die if you tried to do it. Like I'm doing my hexcrawl-megadungeon game in Pathfinder, since 4e is kinda poo poo at that kind of play, but that's not bad, just different.

And most of what I can think of is just on the DM's side of things - you're right that it's pretty much jock-trampling from a player perspective.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LightWarden posted:

Aren't Pathfinder's hex exploration mechanics largely system-agnostic?

They are, but 4e dies on the vine when you do lots of "regular" combats instead of larger set pieces. So sure you could do a hexcrawl in 4e and it would be incredibly boring.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Thing is, you can get this feel by... saying you can only take an extended rest in town.

Then, the day has to be planned around not just finishing the dungeon, but getting bac to town as well, and the players can husband their resources accordingly.

I've had plenty of 4e games, playing only in LFR even, where the party were eking away their last dailies and surges in the final fight and it felt properly tense. It's down to good planning and good DMing, as much as it's down to the system.

Yeah. Not to toot my own horn, but if you think that a properly balanced, knife's edge life or death fight can't exist in 4e, read this. I pushed my players to breaking and they fought back and won through their own skill: it was fantastic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How is it too consistent that the game gives you the most desirable and exciting outcome when it is properly managed? It's almost like they designed it to do that or something!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

greatn posted:

You don't run home, you spike the doors and set a rotating watch. Its like you've never played an RPG, Jesus Christ.

Why don't we skip that part and just have the fun part where me and my friends actually get to engage in life or death heroic combat against the dragon?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Okay, so what kind of enemies will wait an hour or a day for people to come back and kill them?

You have a chance to heal during rests, since it's all rolled. And as you level up, you get more dice to roll, which means the bell curve for your possible results gets taller, which means healing only gets shittier as you go.

Well, healing doesn't get shittier - you just get more dependent on the cleric, which is As It Should Be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

A D&D fight that lasts 10 rounds is over in a single minute. A "heroic fighter" who needs an hour's break after every short fight has fitness equivalent to the fat asthmatic kid who's decided to join a BJJ class so he can be a cage fighter. I mean come the gently caress on, 30-60 seconds of going all-out doesn't even bother a person who has done the slightest little bit of conditioning, let alone someone who has worked up to "STR 16 CON 14".

Agreed! Realism also says this Hit Dice healing from sword wounds in an hour thing is bullshit, so in my 5e games I've removed them entirely. PCs have to rest in town if they can't find magical healing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dilb posted:

Honestly, I really like the "hit points are actual wounds" theme, but I also like the idea that the fighter, or any PC, recovers from having his guts ripped out by shoving the guts back in there and walking it off. To within a certain limit per day or whatever, of course.

That's totally unrealistic, what the hell kind of bullshit is that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

Wow, they don't even have an equivalent to the compendium? That would've mitigated a lot of the dumb book organization/usability problems, and it's just a searchable database of stuff, nothing complicated.

The only Compendium you need is what your DM says the book says. Like always, just as Gary intended.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Isn't the latest adventure being pushed back because the quality was lackluster?

The quality is lacklustre in so far as it wasn't amazing. Excepting the giant poop on Realmslore (seriously just use the loving Dragon Cults and make 1e fans happy), it's serviceable but not great so far.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The most magic tea party thing I have ever played was the 1e grey box Forgotten Realms, and it was pretty cool if you like high magic.

I don't - how do you get high magic out of the Old Grey Box? There's none to be found! The section on Halruaa was CUT!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

So, assuming I want to play DnDNext, when will the final, for-real rules be available? How long am I going to have to play with the busted rules before they fix them to be not busted?

2017 is the projected release date for Next.5.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gently caress you ascendance for saying something bad about the Toronto Maple Leafs. You have lovely taste in hockey, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ritorix posted:

Other medium-difficulty level 13 encounters:
-a pack of 7 CR3 creatures, like 7 owlbears
-a group of 4 CR4 creatures, like 4 shadow demons
-a pair of CR8 creatures, like 2 frost giants
-a solo monster, like the CR13 adult white dragon

What this makes clear to me is that 5e encounter math is more hosed than 3.0 encounter math was. How the gently caress is that possible? Like not even today, in 2003 they realized they could do better. No one is going to DM that random crazy poo poo ever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

That's exactly the play style I intend to use with 5e, which is why the encounter math working out is not that important to me right now.

This is wrong. If anything, having understandable and clear encounter math is MORE important in the sandbox than other play, because you need a consistent way of signalling to the players that they are in over their heads. The party getting one-shot by a generic centaur doesn't really know what to worry about, and the same goes for a brain on legs. There's ways to facilitate player knowledge - rumours, signs of strength and so on - but the underlying structure needs to be consistent, or the players are going to be robbed of their agency by the incomprehensible nonsense of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

Yikes.

Idk it just seemed odd that a monster would be labeled as "out of bounds" for a max level party.

This has always been a thing, really, going all the way back to the 1e MM. Regular monsters? NAH HERE'S SOME DEMON LORDS TO DIE AT THE FEET OF.

3e had the tarrasque. Pathfinder put the tarrasque in the Bestiary and then later printed a literally unkillable even tougher one in Inner Sea Gods for the party to fight.