Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A dire hippo's acidic blood sweat is potent enough to corrode adventurers' weapons and confers resistance to fire and frost, whereas the substance secreted by the mundane variety only protects against bacteria and direct sunlight. And, of course, it has an extra pair of tusks or two, and it probably gains a breath weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A tabletop gamer was asking for advice from the writer of a new game he had been playing. "Lately, the game has been less fun; thinking that the rules are unclear and unfair, and finding themselves prone to arguing about them, my friends have been less and less interested in playing. Starting a new campaign seems pointless, and I fear only misery will come of it," he said to the writer. "How can I bring fun back to the table?"

To this, the writer said, "The veteran DM Pagliacci has been looking for players for his weekly game. Join that game, and he'll surely show you how the answers you've been seeking."

"But sir," he replied, "I am Pagliacci."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Three-weapon fighting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let all your players start with 18s in everything, who gives a gently caress.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In theory, the fighter is best at basic attacks, which is what real fighting is all about. Everything else is either magic (good) or anime (evil).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wonder if they put bad rules like those in intentionally so that DMs would have the opportunity to fix them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some of my favorite wizards are Gongsun Sheng, Prospero, Arthur Weasley, Ganondorf, and Daffy Duck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cavorting merrily for the wizard's amusement.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the slow release rates indicate D&D is at best entering a period of hibernation. Which is kind of absurd considering how much of the impetus for its creation was nominally "Nerd poo poo is super hip right now, gotta strike while the iron's hot and get newcomers hooked!"

But that disconnect was there once it became clear they weren't interested in teaching good DM skills to anybody who hadn't played before. If you mean to grow a game like this, you can't just assume the strength of the brand will be sufficient; it's vital to consider the new player experience. If that experience is meant to begin from having somebody else run the game, somebody who has the steady hand and sober judgement to handle so much empowerment, then what they've created is a product whose adoption rates are dominated by social factors beyond their control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You needn't be.