Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The world my Saturday DM has been building up for us seems to strike a balance, although we've hardly touched on in a fifth of the world. It seems like magic above what a Level 10 character is capable of is extremely rare, as what is easily the Holiest of Holy Cities was still struggling to deal with an undead threat popping up in their lands. A City of Wizards, somewhat based off of how widespread magic is in Eberron, has restrictions in place which hinder magic being cast above 1st Level aside from within Mage Towers.

We'll have to see how things go as we continue to progress, currently Level 7, but it has done a good job of making the party actually feel powerful but at the same time we're not all-powerful. No wizard in the party might help there, closest is the Eldritch Knight that is my temporary replacement for my monk due to orcnapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Relentless posted:

My favorite part about Eberron isn't even the politics or the racial stereotype changeups.

It's all the bound elementals.

Bind an ice elemental, put them in a metal box. You now have a freezer.

Fire elementals running train engines. Airships held aloft with air elementals. Ships stabilized by water elementals. Construction aided by earth elementals.

It modernizes the setting without taking anything away.

We actually took that concept for another region that is heavily connected to the elemental planes, so that y'know. You have stuff like that without needing to enslave the elementals to do it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, toss Forgotten Realms out the window here in this situation. At least in the world my party and DM have created, they're very much sentient. To the point that they're just as much citizens of that region as the primarily genasi inhabitants.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Has anyone here ran or played in one-shots where you play something very weak, like goblins/kobolds, with the intent of getting through a dungeon?

Wasn't sure what to expect, but got into a session where we played as our characters inhabiting the bodies of kobolds with the goal being to complete the Tomb of Horrors. It was a lot more fun than I initially expected, though the safety net of deaths simply meaning we got a new, random kobold to control did soften the dungeon a bit.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 11, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

D&D doesn't support that kind of gameplay through its magic system.

Sounds like he's looked into it more than you have and found that it can?

Like some of it is just DM fiat, but some is just using high level spells for what you'd call nonoptimal things. I can't really think of a system that just, outright, lets you teleport behind someone and yoink their weapon to disarm them since that can just be seen as a narrative thing anyway.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 12, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Fender Anarchist posted:

So here's a question that came up in my game NOT related to buffoonery. If someone's trying to persuade an npc you'd just set an appropriate DC, but what happens should one player try to persuade another? Like with lies you'd just roll deception vs insight, what's the equivalent for when you're telling the truth?

The obvious is "roleplay it out" but a backup option would be nice since these are all rookies who aren't necessarily comfortable with that yet.

My Saturday table tends to lump this right in along with the concept of PvP. Both players need to agree to it. Just reinforce a concept of someone going "Hey, I'm gonna do [thing] is that alright?" And it should work out fine.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Libertad! posted:

Matt Colville just released the PDF for Strongholds & Followers today. It was a pretty big KickStarter when it first launched in February of this year, I hope that it's content lives up to expectations.

Anyone here have it?

I backed it, have not yet gotten to look over it in full cause I'm super busy today/this week. But one thing I can say. The PDF is slick. Like it wasn't an afterthought kind of slick. The art in the book leans heavy towards the new creatures, although chapters have good thematic artwork and there is also some really good stuff for class-specific buildings.

It overall has a lot more than just rules for a Stronghold/Home base. There's outright examples for using this stuff for a ship, there are warfare rules and how you'll use units. Also a lot of stuff for dealing with people you can hire on to work for you or create things.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I'm comfy with my digital versions for now, but did use it to pick of Art and Arcana.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Art and Arcana tries really hard to pull some low-key grognardy edition warring

... okay? 99% of the book is about the art and design, do we really have to act mad about every little thing?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

Anyone have that google docs link for game systems that do DnD better than 5e? I have some friends who want to “try dungeons and dragons” and I want to look that list over before I decide to subject them to 5e (which I think is fine but there’s going to be like 7 of them and combat will probably be a slog).

I don't have the list, but Shadow of the Demon Lord isn't a bad option. If ANY of them has any experience with 5e, even if it's simply watching nerdy rear end people playing it online, they'll pick up the concepts. Using d6's in place of advantage and disadvantage, all non-contested skill checks only needing to beat a 10 DC. The only thing is the base setting may require a little bit of tinkering if the party is, well, squeamish. If they have a fondness for Evil Dead/Bad Taste/old Nightmare on Elm Street horrible then they'll probably love it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Wait, so you wasted the time to dredge up all of those snippets in response to my being excited for the purchase and you've not actually read/owned the book yourself?

Good god man, you've got to have something better to do than that. If you actually owned it and found it filled to the brim with that stuff I might be able to take it seriously but that's just ridiculous, petty even.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Could the choice of words be better? Probably. But it does accurately describe the differences, and as WarEternal flat out admits, the rules were very different from previous editions. I'm not getting anything antagonistic out of the copy posted. Would you guys be just as angry if they omitted the WoW comparison entirely? Don't get me wrong, I played/playing WoW for a good third of my life at this point so I don't have any negative bias there, but I do think you guys sometimes drag old baggage into how you interpret every little thing.

Reading what gradenko posted, just taking in the words, and from what I know about 4th Edition. All of that sounds pretty accurate, I could do without fluffing the current edition in a back alley in that last quote but it isn't surprising given how closely they would have to work with WotC for the creation of the book.

My interest in the book is purely for the art, visual design, and the history of both given how I make my living.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Apartheid and Toshimo have the right idea. Why exactly is the comparison considered a bad thing, to the people defending/that enjoyed that edition? Given what I devoted 11 years of my life to playing, I WISH I'd stumbled into playing D&D with 4th Edition.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

OK allow me to present my rebuttal now that I am not beset by bees.

Wait, hold on. No. Are you okay? Bees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

There's probably a few useful things to pluck from this threads OP, and having some area for gradenko's excellent website would probably be a good idea too.