Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What is the point in multiclassing before you get your final class perk/highest spell slot? Taking a second class to level 2/3 to get their early benefit seems like a good idea, but wouldn't playing a 6/6 character on a team of level 12 friends leave you extremely underlevelled and unable to do anything well in combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I'm currently DMing a lighthearted session with a couple of friends, and instead of actually bothering to roll properly for loot, I just have a DC15 check to all the non-random encounters. If they roll above 15, I do a 1-256 roll where every number corrosponds with an item on the D&D Beyond magic item list.

The problem is that, as much fun as it is to see new items, it has also thrown balance right out of the window. They're currently level 5's running around with a sword of sharpness, +1 flail, ring of spell turning, plate armour of etherealness and a cloak of displacement. It's getting increasingly hard to balance encounters, because either they curb stomp everything or they get grabbed by 2 chuuls and are knocked unconcious with 2 pincer attacks.

This all-random loot is funny and they seem to really enjoy a campaign where you can actually roll for more than endless potions of fire breath, but I'm having a hard time finding the right CR monsters and amount of monsters.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have you tried using the new Xanathar encounter building stuff. It's easier the the DMG stuff and more accurate in my opinion.

This looks really good, I'll have to try it out today or tomorrow, depending on when my players got time. Thanks!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Hey guys, one of my players has a warlock and wants an Archfey patron. I don't want to do the immortal soul route. What might an Archfey want? I imagine it wants a macguffin or maybe like something nonsensical it can't ever get. Give me some weird "bring me 3 breaths of a dragon" or something. What's some cool things an Archfey might impose on it's warlock? Whimsical stupid things like "always draw on statues of horses, throw copper coins into wishing wells, and carry a thimble in your pocket" or something weird. I'm brainstorming for whacky ideas that won't turn this player off. She's kind of a sensitive person, and bringing her patron a baby to eat or something wouldn't work.

Any ideas? I'm having a hard time even finding how archfey behave.

E: What would Titania want from a warlock besides their soul?

One of my players is a bard who took a level in warlock and picked the fey. The pact was simply "Do new and entertaining stupid poo poo all the time or else I'll revoke your powers". This pact turned almost every encounter from "synaptic static->t-rex polymorph" to new and funny ways of dealing with stuff. Instead of fighting 20 skeletons, he convinced them that they were being exploited by the necromanticly bourgeois and turned the necromancers army against him.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Everything is forgivable if you share the loot ~~*

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Any ideas to spice up the flameskull encounter in the mines of LMoP?

Flameskulls tied to a normal skeleton or another beast.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Don't hint at the rejuvenation effect and have it TPK them with a fireball during a long rest.

One of my players picked up a defeated dormant flameskull and put it in his backpack. A couple of sessions+levels later (when a fireball wasn't likely to one-shot them), I made it explode his backpack and scatter all his stuff all over the ground.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Kraken patron feels like it would be fun to play in a real game. Just zap your own brains out with lightning call and turn into Palpatine.
Disaster barbarians level 10 ability seems sort of bad, but the rest is promising, if a bit rough around the edges. Move the level 14 ability to 10 and create a new level 14 power move?

edit: what's the big deal with psionics? Isn't it just a new class of magic?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm reading the Eberron magic items UA, and the optional two-handed arcane focus rule for cantrips made me think. If I grab Eldritch blast, increase the range to 300 ft. with eldrich spear and use a two-handed staff, would that give EB an effective range of 450 ft.?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably, though "effective" is a misnomer for that kind of range in this game.

According to the PHB, EB doesn't have the same long range disadvantage as a normal ranged weapon. It still has to deal with half & 3/4th cover, unless you add the Spell sniper feat, which also doubles the range of all spells with an attack roll. This would give EB a 900 ft. range.
Multiclass in to a SorLock and you can use the Distant spell metamagic and double that range to 1800 ft.

This is just a weird, little thought experiment, I know that any sane DM wouldn't allow a warlock to spell snipe from a quarter mile away with no disadvantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

My DM recently started house ruling that we could use our STR bonus instead of CHA for intimidation checks, if we're flexing muscles or bigass weapons. It really helped our fighter, because he finally got a useful way of interacting with the social npc encounters, even if it's just crude axe threatening. It also stopped our wizard from burning all his spell slots on Suggestion, which in turn stopped him from complaining about only having cantrips in combat. Which then helps our cleric, because he doesn't have waste all his spell slots on healing the wizard in every single fight.

Such a small change drastically improved everybodys D&D experience, and I wish it was an official optional rule.