Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

While I'm not a fan of wizard supremacy, one big balancing factor that I see almost everyone ignore is to actually put in the material costs and hold the players to them. A perfect example is the Holy Aura someone was complaining about earlier. Yea, the spell is pretty crazy good, it also is level 8 and requires "a tiny reliquary worth at least 1000gp containing a sacred relic". How many tiny reliquaries is the guy hauling around, and how is he getting all the sacred relics?

Or the knock spell, take a minute to reread the text and think about a 300ft loud knocking sound. Maybe a thief is still useful if you need to be quiet or don't want to fight several groups of monsters at once.

Otto's is still bullshit, I agree with that.

Heres a fun little side note for you. How much stuff does a party have when they reach the point where they can cast a level 8 spell. A fucktonne if the starter kit is anything to go buy. 1000gp doesn't look like much to just let you trivialize a fight.

Yeah a 300ft loud knocking sound could be difficult. On the other hand you can just make yourself invisible too right after so it now instead of a downside you can also use the spell as a giant decoy giving it even more potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

Also you can cast silence.
Also how often is there really going to be somebody to hear that knock.

The real question is more, how many people hear that knock and then realise that a wizard made it and pretend they didn't hear it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

I can imagine the conversation now:

"There was a brief pause and a muffled argument before the knocking sound, so there's probably a Wizard, AND a Rogue who really wants to stab something."

I'm kidding of course, nobody cares that the rogue is there.
Nobody cares.

They identified there was a rogue because the argument lasted 4 times longer than normal.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think you actually know how this works. That or you just glanced and never did any research.

Also you do know the classes are not balanced to fight each other. (Though a Fighter will probably kick a level 17 clerics rear end. And vs a Wizard it's really who ever goes first.)

Um.....are you making a troll post or are you serious, I can't tell anymore. He was not describing fighting a player. This was the game, the cleric comfortably sat there and ate the liches spells, and carried every encountered. I literally have no idea what you mean by glanced and never did any research. This is the game he played in.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do you mean giving monsters class levels in that case it's to make enemies harder. I just said they were not balanced that way not that it can't work.

An Ogre with 3 levels of Fighter is going to be a deadly threat due to the high hp second wind and expanded crit range.

Dont worry the party cleric will be able to roll over it so the rogue should be good to play with himself in the corner so it all balances out you see.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ritorix posted:

Your party had 2 clerics, and one died. :colbert:

Poor July Healbot. You will be missed for your sweet sweet turn undead. Wait turn undead became terrible so I guess we lost nothing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well a level 4 Wizard called the Evil Mage in 5e has been marked as CR 1. I don't know his stats exactly but he is not quite the same as a PC of the same level. Honestly we have to wait for actual monsters to come out before we can really tell how this works.

Literally the most dangerous thing in the game at the moment is packs of low level wizards spamming magic missiles.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ritorix posted:

That's more words than the whole pbp game.

I find it funny that the two goofy ironic 5e games I ran actually played to completion, that rarest of states for a play by post, while our serious game died on the vine like most games.

I don't know if thats a fair comparison though, murder in baldur's gate is the worst thing ever.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair the Cleric there was pure luck. But Clerics are a good class though nowhere near as powerful as they used to be.

The cleric is still top dog when it comes to the important field of 'doing the martial's job better than them'.

Exhibit A) Krag Hack

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

It was gone into way more earlier in the thread, but basically the biggest problem is that monster hp scales waaaaaaay too quickly, making fights turn into long boring slogs unless you just let a caster do 1 save or die.

Also the way fights are designed you often up against large packs of monsters that take a while to slog through or the caster uses an aoe.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gort posted:

While I do agree with pretty much all of the rest of your post, this is based on numbers where the fighter gets no magic items, correct? I think that's a flawed assumption. If this is anything like previous games the fighter will end up with a +5 sword that's on fire for 2d6 extra damage a hit (at the very least, this is just an item I know is in the game) as well as strength-boosting items.

What do the fighter DPR vs monster HP numbers look like with magical items assumed?

Problem is that the game has been stated to be magic item optional. GMs are often going to bypass giving the fighter his required +number weapons.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

With a +2 magic weapon at level 8, it takes 5 rounds for a Fighter to kill the dragon - approximately twice as long as it takes a Necromancer Wizard's skeleton minions, even if the Wizard is just sitting in a lounge chair drinking a martini.

This is still the most D&D thing you can have to be fair.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Oh my god that's an incredibly stupid and bad change. The Cult of the Dragon has never had anything to do with the Church of Tiamat, it's all Sammaster's crazed prophecies. That was the entire point of why they were dangerous. I guess Kobold Press couldn't even be bothered to read ONE 3rd Edition book, let alone anything good.

The entire plot line opened up with a call back to that one video game you all played about Dungeons and Dragons in order to bring back Bhaal. I dont know what your standard should be for the rest of it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't even bother bringing up his tweets. One of my big issues on the complaints was just because somthings stats are based on how the creature should feel does not mean the math does not work for it. Though I just want Augaust 8th to come. Basic will be updated then and people will have the PHB. This way people can complain about the final product instead of using outdated stuff to make their complaints.

The biggest issue I think I am having with some of the other people here is that I don't see how this is a bad game and I don't get their complaints here especially. On other sites were there are complaints I tend to understand it, but here I honestly don't get what people are actually complaining about.

Here's the problems I think your not really comprehending. You can have fun with a system that is bad. I play and enjoy pathfinder, a system that is an overcomplicated mess with infinite flaws. I've played in several games of 5e now, I've enjoyed myself but not as a result of the system.

The math is very swingy and requires you to spend far too much effort optimizing yourself for any solid payoff. The difference between an optimized and unoptimized player are still fairly big. The system provides very little in the way of roleplaying mechanics beyond some good stuff like the backgrounds, is too complicated for a quick and simple character creation if you want to keep up. On top of all of that the way combat in the game is designed, classes like the wizard and anything that can drop AoE attacks on enemies dominate fights. This leads to other classes to become increasingly less relevant. Additionally ever class now has different methods of regaining their resources so the party either argues about what type of breaks they take and when or they often take full rests which gimp players who repeatedly use short rests (if your resting an hour your generally better off resting a full hour). The roleplaying mechanics often operate at a detriment of other areas so you are crippling yourself if you want to partake in something interesting (unless your a wizard).

To top this off none of the DM rules we have seen so far provide any useful guide to running this stuff well. Combat Rating does not provide a clear and easy system for the GM to generate encounters that can be relied upon to provide interesting fights that do not shift the balance between TPKs and a interesting fight for the players to overcome (unless the DM personally figures out each and every monster to understand what, how, why and when they are going to be limiting themselves). The GM has to actively fudge the game to get this to work right. Due to the way CR is designed the game seems structured under the assumption the players fight packs of lower CR monsters (hence why the game is dependent on aoes to clear the field) as equal level CR is incredibly an brutal rocket tag design or comes associated with plenty of gently caress you abilities that simply retract from the players fun. It is impossible to identify what monsters are gently caress you or rocket tag until you break down the monster itself relative to how well your party has optimized and how relevant that optimization is. For example, a CR2 Ogre is a completely trivial encounter to some level 1 parties and will TPK a level 1 party with zero effort depending on the party makeup. This is a huge amount of effort for a GM to go to for virtually zero payoff.

Oh yea and some classes are dead weight while others can literally do anything they imagine. The point is that the game is supposed to provide a structure and framework to make everything about it easier. Instead it does none of that. All the work still needs to be done with nothing to assist in the process. Half the rules don't function as intended and as you may notice from mearl's twitter your actively told to just wing it. If nothing in the rules actually help you run the game. Why are you bothering to buy the game and use the rules if you have to do all the work anyway?

EDIT: This is not the same thing as putting the control in the GM's hands. The GM always has control over everything regardless of how the game or system works. A system that is absolutely perfect and flawless can be houseruled. A system that has literally nothing in it thats functional can be houseruled. When the GM has to houserule basic and fundamental aspects of the system you are running into the problem of the system itself not being useful to actually solve any problem. If you are forced to houserule basic aspects of the game then you are far better off using an extremely rules-light system which saves you the time to learn rules which are broken and going to be changed anyway.

I could go on. If this doesnt give you at least some understanding of why people think this game is dumb I dont know what else to say.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 22, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Look buddy, pal, chum. You seem to fail to understand how context works in a lot of these games. Let me explain.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Along with the concentration check there is also. Casters have much less spells. Spells are not as powerful as they once were. Only one concentraion spell can be used at a time. From what we know of the feat all it lets you do is increase your odds of making the check it does not get rid of it. The Fighter is strong, durable and easily out paces the Wizard when the Wizard is not using it's very limited spell set and because a Wizard has a very limited spell set they are capable of doing anything but not everything and from what we can see the only thing they do better then someone else is aoe damage.

You say these spells are limited but really, they aren't. By level 5 the wizard has 9 spells a day and can recover 3 levels of spell slots per hour rest (if your group bothers with these). While your cantrips might not do quite as much as the fighter they have solid chances to hit, are ranged, do very nice effects and have far better bonuses to hit that a fighter will. They dont NEED to burn all their spells on a fight. They can simply pop one aoe or two to clear an encounter or against something like an ogre they can just ray of frost it and kite it forever. A wizard is not going through fights where they are dropping more than 9 spells per day particularly with how quick combat tends to go in this game. 1 or 2 rounds per fight at most.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Knock is last case scenario that should only be used if their is no other choice as it uses up a valuable spell slot and alerts everything within 300 ft to you. I don't know what you are getting at with the hand spells.

Heres the best part about that. Alerting everyone in 300 feet of you means basically nothing. Translating that into a not-terrible measurement system thats about 90m. Essentially your alerting everyone in the building to your presence so stealth is out the window. Guess what, stealth was ALWAYS out the window. There is no group stealth system to protect the party so that idiot fighter in full plate is not going to be able to sneak past. So your options are: send one person in alone, at which point the big door explosion is actually an amazing distraction for that one character. Have the wizard cast invisibility on everyone. At which point who cares about the door. OR three, try to stealth and have half the party inevitably fail this and start the fight which will be loud enough to alert everyone in the building anyway. The Knock spell just speeds all this up. Yeah you can probably use it as a last resort to save yourself a spell slot but really, the consequence isnt really something to take note of.

MonsterEnvy posted:

People are worried about a pair of letters with out seeing stuff in action. Even if the design is how this monster should be. (Which is the way it should be made in my opinion.) does not mean it does not work in the game. From actually playing and testing out the limited stuff we have of the game CR and the XP value work here.

No they are not. The CR swings so massively depending on the party composition, the monster has entirely swinging values based on what defence is targeted (guess what class is allowed to pick which defence they target :smugwizard:). The CR gives very little indication as to how powerful it is. For example a CR1 wizard is infinitely more dangerous than that ogre unless your party has no casters.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Casters and Non casters are fairly close in this edition. A caster will only ever out pace the rest of the party when they are blowing all of their spells at once in a single encounter. Which can be bad is something else comes along. Looking at the CR tells me roughly how challenging a creature should be from the starter set.

LOL

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Guys, guys come on. Its over.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gort posted:

The art looks good so far. I didn't much like the poser-esque stuff in the 4e PHB and thought it was often a step backwards from 3rd ed artwork.

Especially this stuff.

The art in this edition is pretty good.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

One quick breaking of my goal to not post here until August 8th. (Not to argue however)

The game is not D&D next. It's just D&D, D&D 5e or 5e. It was officially stated that next was the name of the playtest not the product.

Yes this is minor and rather pointless but because I know the threads name is incorrect it just bugs me. Now Goodbye

To be really sure of what to call it we should probably wait for the NEXT release.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

D&D Next: the XBone of elfgames.

They called the 5th one the 1st one.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cassa posted:

Not even a listing by spell level first. "But what happens later when warlocks and Druids get wizard spells?" They get 40 pages of alphabetical spells to look through too, I guess.

Also what was it someone was saying about a short rest getting back a spell each time? I thought it was only the once.

Yea its once a day. Problem is, how often do you think your party is going to be thinking we've got time to take two hours of breaks today but we're not going to take 8 hours because reasons. Given how everyone gets resources back through completely different means, your likely to just pick the one that gets everyone back unless theres a time limit. Theres not a lot of time limits you can put where you've only got two hours but not eight.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So let's talk about the hour long short rests.

Still seems to me just another way to gently caress over... Well, anything that's not a Daily spellcaster.

4e's 5 minutes was easy, but an hour? We're getting into some serious fiat and/or strictly defined random encounter territory, here, with defined rates. When's the last time you rolled for random encounters outside a retro clone?

I'll repost a thing from ENWorld. Apologies/greetings if this is a goon.

The overwhelming problem still comes down to 'If we have the option to get some of the party's resources back or all of the party's resources back, we choose all of them.'

The imaginary restriction of a timelimit you need to follow doesn't really come into account when your still blowing an hour for the short rest anyway.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Ritorix opened my mind so I can see the matrix. And by the matrix I mean Next design philosophy.

If you're wondering why short rests are 1 hour long let me enlighten you. At some point during the private playtest they tried short rests that were 30 minutes long, but some people complained that that didn't feel long enough. I guarantee that is what happened.

The duration of short rests is completely arbitrary. What really matters is how often the DM chooses to disrupt rest attempts, that's what determines whether the party will short rest after every encounter or rarely short rest.

Right and this inevitably leads into this super DM vs Player conflict where the players are carrying around steel door frames and heavy equipment to seal themselves in and save up a bunch of explosive rune spells on the door every time they need to rest or the players are wrapping the wizard up in bandages and clogging his ears full of wax and covering his bag with a sack all to make sure nothing interrupts his full rest. This is a thing that happens in other games.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hour long rests are there to have "short rest mechanics" for 4e players, while effectively neutering because gently caress 4e players.

People were physically incapable of accepting the notion that people could quickly bandage their wounds and take a breather in 5 minutes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Thats what it seems like to me. An hour sounds perfectly alright for narrative purposes of bandaging/cleaning/sharpening etc. Five minutes doesnt make sense at all. Bad DMs will still be bad DMs.

Why would you not just full rest then if your going to be safe for an hour?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Its also a very minor thing, which was my main point. It really seems like that specific one would fall into the "who cares" bucket.

Problem is its not a minor point as has been pointed out. Some classes depend upon having multiple short rests per day to get and use their abilities. Nobody is going to do that when your giving up a huge amount of time to begin with. Everyone is just going to take the full day rest meaning the control to keep the wizard from dominating things is completely irrelevant. Again you either don't rest or full rest. Classes that regain resources of a short rest get screwed.

FRINGE posted:

Aside from saving time (if youre in a game that uses time for anything that matters), one (old) thing going back to 1e/2e is if doing the old "random encounters" thing, and dont really want to 'really' camp then you take care of your necessary poo poo and get moving. You will either have 0 or 1 rolls-worth of a chance of something bothering you instead of a bunch.

Reading between the lines I dont think that story-level time matters that much in more recent styles, and I'm not sure that random encounter lists are really a thing anymore. From a tactical game perspective the 'actual' time allotted to resting is probably pointless. Thats why I mainly pointed to the fiction/story part.

Time sensitive scenarios are generally going to mean you won't be stopping for an hour and push on, hurting the classes that depend on short rests. Random encounters encourage really lovely things to happen. It means as a player I want to have a single fight. Rest, trigger a random encounter and rest. Never advancing beyond a single fight at a time to make sure I have plenty of resources left to deal with another random encounter. Nothing will progress and everyone will be fluffing around. Your still getting xp so its not like its even a bad thing to do.

That 1 hour time matters as again, some classes depend on getting that short rest to refuel their very limited powers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

So yeah, I have a question.

In 4E hitpoints are pretty much not anything to do with damage, rather than a big abstraction of stress, bruises, cuts and scrapes.

My read of 4E basically says that until you hit bloodied no one has actually done anything more than bash your armour or kick your shin, bloodied is the point where someone rakes a blade across you but doesn't hit anything important, and it's not until you actually go down that something important has happened.

It's heavily abstracted, of course, but it largely made sense. You haven't actually been badly hurt, so of course your hitpoints come back. A surge isn't so much your bones knitting together, it's you nutting up and fighting on despite the fact your arm really fuckin hurts.

I never really played 3X, but do those systems actually assume that hitpoints are pretty much a measure of your remaining blood? Why else would they come back at an extremely limited rate?

If people are concerned about "realism" in 5E, then surely outright saying "hitpoints are a loose measure of how much you can screw up before someone gets something important" makes more sense at literally every level than "hitpoints are a literal measure of damage and you are covered in far more meat at high level"

You have pretty much the correct interpretation of what HP actually are. 3.x had the same logic. 5e too. People themselves seem to believe that hp = meat chunks blowing off of people because they have come to the conclusion that D&D is some kind of medieval historical fantasy simulator despite nothing in the mechanics remotely supporting this idea. It primarily comes about as a result of forcing martial characters to be dependent on spell casting characters to function. This is supposed to be a two way street of the spell caster relying on the martial except the spell casting classes often are granted abilities which allow them to replace martial characters in most situations or allow them to support their own resource systems with limited restrictions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

This stuff is, by the way, why people like the RPGPundit get their hair in a twist over games like FATE, because a lot of "storygames" are designed around the players directly interacting with the narrative on an authorial/metagame level. Games that straight-up acknowledge that they are in fact games and that encourage players to think along lines other than "what would my character do?" piss a bunch of people off for this reason.

See I get the opposite problem where games like D&D require me to do so much number crunching theres not point where I try to get into character that involves the system. If I do I'm likely to gently caress myself over because of all the poo poo I need to be paying attention to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

QuantumNinja posted:

This whole session just eats my hope.

Thats what they feed on so makes sense.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ritorix posted:

-The 'alternate' human is legal for play, meaning you can start with a feat. A pretty big deal when feats like War Caster and Heavy Armor Master are technically available from level 1.
-No stat rolling, point buy or standard array only.
-Multiclassing and feats are ok, as long as they are in the PHB.
-Free retraining of any and everything up until level 5. Starting then, you are stuck with your choices permanently.

Krag Hack full plate wizard damage reduction to all the things disadvantage to all the things is a go.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

treeboy posted:

i always liked the Baldur's Gate magic missile and it's never been replaced by any other.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Daetrin posted:

That is pretty strange. The review is about...well, the actual book. Not the content in the book. I don't think I've ever seen a book review of any sort do that.

"The paper binding didn't fall apart in my hands and it really is show some quality gluing. The must have used a 2588 model printing unit that can comfortably fire off several hundred books without needing to double check its alignment. 5/5 stars."

All I can imagine is this guy reviewing the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAOhBBEQwE8

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

Certainly the fact that it's a single player CPRG is noteworthy, but it's still a game which is meant to emulate this style of play and where, for instance, a player might want their PC to be their main token in the combats, as opposed to a thug class that doesn't take much tending.

I'm fairly certain they've said at one point or another the fighter can be just a passive guy if you want them to just be a tankor you can pick all the active abilities which lowers damage/health but lets you drop effects on things.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

Most of the people ITT would have been happy with a new approach as long as it was still a good game- they were fans of 4e after all, right?

In addition it's misleading to say that 4e drove off the core audience. Plenty of the core audience stayed and played quite happily. If anything, it's the fringe audience, who hasn't been buying for years, that 5e is aimed at.

Yea I was actually really looking forward to a minimalist type of game designed to be very easy to get into and play but unfortunately 5e is already cumbersome enough and theres a huge enough disparity between people who optimize and don't optimize that this isn't really a possibility.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Clearly, superiority dice themselves have just been buffed so significantly that it'd be plain overpowered if you could get back more than one a turn!

Yeah plus he can get them back all day. So really he has infinite superiority dice. Thats pretty broken IMO. Can you imagine if a wizard could have his spells back all day? I mean he can control the nature of the universe and he cant do that.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Wait... when you roll initiative--? So you only get them at the start of an encounter and are SOL for the rest of the fight?

I didn't pick up on this until you pointed it out. That is hilariously terrible.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

So as I've said before, 5e is a game for people who need to play D&D. As someone who doesn't need to play D&D, if this isn't a good game, I'm not interested in it.

So I never played D&D until university, how prolific is this mindset. I never really encountered it having not played it as a teen.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh I openly admit I was a huge grog for awhile. Like I'm just glad some of the more foul poo poo I said at the start of 4e is connected to a different name.

SKR parachute account spotted.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Will it be the same squares?

What if I drew a circle from the origin square with a compass, still the same squares?

Is it really easier for each group to have this discussion than to have a clearly written rule in the rulebook?

Well if your arguing you wont have to actually play the game. You need to think of the positives.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know your making fun of me, but I do want to actually know what you mean.

Did you ever know that your my heeeeeeeero! Your everything I wish I could beeeeeeee!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or use a Die roller like I do. Not that many people own more then a few d20 anyway. Kobolds are not an issue and have a cool little power.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or use a Die roller like I do. Not that many people own more then a few d20 anyway.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or use a Die roller like I do.

MonsterEnvy posted:

use a Die roller

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have you analysed and broken them down. No I did not think so.

Hmmm I don't think you had time to wait for an answer here. Almost as if you have walked into all this with a completely predetermined outcome and an inability to accept opinions contrary to yours.