Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Lothire posted:

I understand the reasons behind the system, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. More than just the damage die (although that's just as much a point as any other), but now a plate wearing fighter can't dual wield longswords, or a barbarian dwarf his battleaxes. Such builds are almost iconic to D&D in recent years, yet we will be lacking them here.

I can't tell if this post is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

treeboy posted:

I think the initial negative reaction most people have is to the rather inelegant and awkward way the subject is just kinda thrown out there out of the blue like some giant non sequitur. Much like the rest of the packet they don't take much effort to approach the subject and just kind of vomit words.

treeboy posted:

The offense isn't the subject as much as it is the approach.

I think because ultimately it comes off as forced and insincere. Like they felt they had to say something about it to try and rope in additional players (or attract them for the very fact they address it) but with zero idea of how to actually do it so they say "hey choose your gender which can totally be whatever cuurraaazy combo you can think of! D&D doesn't care!"

Kinda falls flat and pandering. Just my $0.02.

It's good to know that, even though you personally aren't offended by this blatant PC pandering, you're looking out for WotC on this one. Look out, Wizards! Don't you see that you might be offending people (not me, obviously!!!!!). Please think of the bigots!

You are a very good poster and I think you should definitely keep posting about this subject. Don't hold back! Just let it allllll out. :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

From same twitter confimed that Wizards do not get damage on a miss with cantrips.

So that class feature, as printed, does... nothing, then?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Because they couldn't just say your HP is [whatever you roll each level]+[level*CON mod] :jerkbag:

Yeah, that block of text could easily be about, ah, four times shorter.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

Added this to the OP

Covok posted:

moths posted:

Now, I suppose it's time to refer to the elephant in the room. This is not the place to have edition wars about D&D. If you must do so, please use this topic instead.

Seamless.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

fidgit posted:

Reading through some of the comments, the only thing that is confusing me is the "switched to DW" method as a better system. I love Dungeon World. It's actually my favorite game, but if you're concerned about not enough fiddly bits or things not being spelled out, DW seems counter intuitive. It's an entire game of players and DM just making stuff up as you go along.

I've seen DW referenced when people mention liking 5E's faster combat & reduced tactical fiddliness. It would indeed be pretty silly to recommend it for people who wanted a game more like 4E!

Winson_Paine posted:

That is a stand alone comment not intended as an edition warring comment. Besides, it is an image. Who gives a poo poo about an image? Pretty much no one will give a poo poo about an image.

:golfclap:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Every spell description, of every class and level, is in one big alphabetical list

That's the only thing about the layout that really gets me. Mostly because I really, genuinely don't understand it at all. Someone decided that that was the best way to present them.

That's how it was in all previous versions of D&D, by which I mean, third edition

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

By my understanding, "X heartbreaker" means "Game I made because I'm frustrated by X, that does what I like about X in a better way".

Wealllll. The original meaning was somewhat different:

Ron Edwards posted:

The basic notion is that nearly all of the listed games have one great idea buried in them somewhere. It's perhaps the central point of this essay - that yes, these games are not "only" AD&D knockoffs and hodgepodges of house rules. They are indeed the products of actual play, love for the medium, and determined creativity. That's why they break my heart, because the nuggets are so buried and bemired within all the painful material I listed above...

People in this forum (and elsewhere?) have since taken the term to mean something closer to how you're using it. But, as I understood it, they were also offering a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of the likely outcome of their labours - a mediocre D&D knockoff, made with love.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

Yep, I think so :unsmith:

Why not ask @mikemearls? I hear he's quick to respond to rules questions! :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Honestly, the spell list is so huge and elaborate that the best way to do wild magic is just, like "roll to pick a random spell, it casts itself at a random target in sight". If you're feeling saucy you could also roll some dice to choose what level spell slot fuels it, if the surge of power additionally revitalizes or burns you, etc.

Vancian Roulette

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I guess the picture would be clearer with the text that accompanies it. Basically: If you are non-diagonally adjacent to a piece of Low Cover, it provides cover in a half-plane. If you are diagonally adjacent, it gives you cover in a quarter-plane. If you are adjacent to multiple blocks, you get cover from all of them.

Does that make sense with the picture? Let me know because if we're going to change the picture we'd better do it soon. (PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread with non-5e talk)

The weird thing for me is that the section that's in cover from yellow, green, & red is just marked with yellow/red. Not sure how you'd visually clarify that without it being a mess, though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
honestly I'd say "diagonal cover isn't a thing" is pretty reasonable, straightforward, and easy to remember. also makes it much easier to keep track of the angles involved.

(this is completely off-topic but, well, pretty much no one will give a poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

A Catastrophe posted:

So again what's your alternative.

What's this non-dnd game who's non-dndness makes it more suited to this.
What part of Dnd, which has been several different games in it's time to varying degrees of value, makes it unsuited to what you describe, compared to other non-dnd-like-games?

Are you talking about Nobilis? Or Champions? What are you talking about, apart from 'not dnd'.

The official game of Traditional Games: Exalted 3E.