Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

dwarf74 posted:

This is awesome. For real, no irony.

Honestly, it'd be better if their example of 'play anything' weren't the 'ladyboy elf' and 'bearded lady' sideshow attractions. Still the best thing in the book, though.

e:

theironjef posted:

"My character in this game of Vampire is a bearded dwarf woman who is sick of being mistaken for a man"
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

sansuki posted:

Rule 1: Don't be a giant wang. Everyone came here to have fun, that means don't be a jerk fighter.

e: More seriously, I wish they'd actually make magic magical rather than just telling us how magical it is.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Talking of Word Vomit, I ran a few searches. (Linked instead of crossposting)

109 uses of "spell" vs. 7 uses of "sword". (30 of "weapon" if you're feeling charitable.)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Can things other than spells (or spell-like, etc.) call for saving throws? Maybe strength saving throw would be for something like "can you hold the spiked portcullis up, or does it squish you?" Just guessing here, I'm not far into the pdf myself.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Brother Entropy posted:

I don't think anyone was waiting on Wizard's stamp of approval to be allowed to play a queer character, so that little sidebar feels ultimately pointless even if it had obviously worthwhile intentions behind it. If you've got a bigoted player/DM who'd be an rear end about that kind of thing I doubt being able to point to the Official Rules would change their minds.

True, but bear in mind that (at least in the designer's minds) D&D is the entry into trpgs for a lot of people, and if you're all figuring it out as a group, it might be a useful pointer, not least if you're coming from crpgs. It's clunky, it's awkward as hell, but at least it's there.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Does D&D still have those hilarious cursed magic items that change your sex/race if you put them on? You could do some interesting things with a fantasy setting where that sort of thing is common - sort of a post-human fantasy. The city peasants get shoved through a Belt of Halflingness so the landlords can pack more of them into the slums, and so on.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Thanks for this, it's really interesting! What are the magic items like, there aren't any (that I've found :v: ) in basic?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes this is minor and rather pointless

But I don't see what the problem is...

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

moths posted:

It's nice being able to run a game at the LGS without drive-by shitheads making the same "tabletop WoW" cracks.

I still don't see how this is an insult: if you could give me an rpg with the fights of WoW, and roleplay in between, that'd be drat close to perfect for me.

Though I guess the actual words could be anything, they just wanted you to know that you're having fun wrongly.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"Have you ever tried working out? I did once, and I was sore for days!" -> "HP should take several days to recover" -> "First level mage regains 1hp a day" -> "well, it'd add complexity if everyone had different rates"

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Mearls does the best wallchat.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Christ. If Mearls hates warlords, and Mearls hates goons, does that mean goons are Warlords? BRB, going to shout granny back to life.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

This piece really weirds me out - it's an awesome bit of art, but the posture/expression feels non-human in a way that I don't think it intends - the main character's absolutely rigid posture, combined with the not-real-world skin tones makes me think of some sort of animated statue / golem character. If that was intended, then 10/10, otherwise that dude really needs to pull the paladin out his rear end.

Also, learn how to mix different artworks together, artist. Looking at you, PC-shadow and red-orc.

[/artsperg]

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Fun

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Maths

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Woo! I've got a fish on my head, I'm just the wackiest!!!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Mike Mearls.

Playing a rapper.

I think I became more white just from reading that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Someone asked before, but I couldn't find an answer: What is PoE? Google gives me a crpg, I'm guessing from context that that's not right?

e: just saw A Catastrophe's response - so it is the crpg being referred to? Why is it relevant?

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 6, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Ah, that makes a lot more sense now, thanks!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Hmm, I agree it's an interesting comparison, but at the same time being on computer can cover a lot of clunky design - take 4e and mmos, for example (yeah, ok, a loaded comparison): a five-minute fight with ten PCs in an mmo becomes a two-hour one in a tabletop, so you need to do very different things with the design.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Also, your DM can fix the parts you dislike!

With fire!
:goonsay:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Y'know, the trollers actually have a point - this is becoming just another grog tear-down thread at this point. Has there been enough released so far to start houseruling it into a Real Game? I'm a big fan of upcycling, and Mearls supports me on this!

e: Seebs - genuine question here, has your group tried systems other than D&D? What are your thoughts on them? Just wondering since your post seemed to suggest you defaulted to D&D.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 7, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nu-uh! "Innervate" (School transmutation; Level cleric 2, druid 2, sorcerer/wizard 2, witch 2) grants a fighter an initiative reroll.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Jack the Lad posted:

My turns take ~90 seconds resolve tops. "
You'll have a problem if everyone is like "oh, huh, it's my turn? Wait, which one of those monsters is bloodied again? Who needs healing? Did I use my daily yet? Okay hang on let me decide what power to use" but that is not a failing of the system.

I gotta disagree on that - my experience was that every turn, the majority of the players would get bogged down in analysis paralysis, and that takes long enough that others get distracted by an IC conversation, and so on.

Our group just couldn't seem to learn how to go quickly, what their moves did, etc. Combat would take the vast majority of the session, every other session, for two years. Great story, but the combat was like pulling teeth.

It is a failing of the system if 4 of 6 players don't seem to have a grasp of it after two years of (roughly monthly) combats.

e: and this was with things like colour-coded character sheets with the totals pre worked out and so on.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 7, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Jack the Lad posted:

Once you understand movement, OAs, the four defences and the three actions - which can be explained in 5 minutes - you pretty much have it.

I know, and it drove me nuts, but four of the players would, every time, be saying "Oh, um, what does this one do again? That's the head-shot one, right? Or is it the one that shoves them? What should I do, Petrol?". I think it was partly due to only having a combat once a month (half the sessions, session every other week), and possibly that they were wanting to remember moves in terms of the fiction ("head-shot") rather than the name or mechanical effects noted on the sheet.

I dunno, it seems obvious to me too, so it's hard for me to figure out why. They were repeatedly leaning on me (player who appeared most comfortable with the system) to the point where I was uncomfortable, feeling like I was playing for them, and trying to couch things as "well, who do you think is our biggest threat?" The same group is completely happy with Dungeon World, maybe it's just the minis and 'it's TACTICAL' that made them freeze. Whatever, it was a bloody nightmare.

I don't know if it's common at all, but it sounds like the sort of story that could have disproportionally influenced 5e's development - the risk of scaring off potential customers when you're the (alleged) gateway drug, etc. So instead we'll bore them with Simple Fighter! :downs:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
But boss monsters get auto-pass on X saves per day don't they?

e: Enchanter tank powers, go!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

treeboy posted:

I'm pretty convinced there's some kind of point buy system at work for monster generation modified by templates (which i would guess simply increase the overall pt total available) with special abilities assigned pt costs.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 8, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Just what I want from a character sheet.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also yes I do have a mental disorder if your wondering.

Just the one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

slydingdoor posted:

high jump if they can get the total to 10 ft (frogs and toads can do this for free)

I have a mental image of frogs that jump to 10', then die on hitting the ground again. Like, a whole room of them. The party stumbles in, surprising them. A hundred of those fuckers all jumping 10' in the air and landing with a splat.

Which explains why evolution has favoured the frog that can't jump 10' high in real life. :pseudo: