Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Doesn't the PHB (maybe DMG) explicitly state multiple times that you can bend and change pretty much any mechanic you wish in order to suit the needs/wants of your group/world/adventure, thus rendering the argument of what's "truly playing" DnD both stupid and dumb?

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Well yeah sure. I mean, "ask your DM" is pretty much D&D's cloak of invulnerability against any and all rules arguments.

The issue is that a new DM is going to feel bound to keep things orthodox rather than making sweeping changes that they may not understand the ramifications of. So what's in the core book still matters even if we're not all bound by it.

You're not wrong. And I don't think there's anything wrong with a new DM sticking closely source material, but I also think once you've got some game time under your belt you'll have a decent idea of how the game might break. If someone is experienced enough to be agonizing over one or two mechanics, just change the drat things and be done with it. In my personal experience you can tinker a lot and really not drastically effect the overall flow of the game.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Does danger sense literally allow a barbarian to sense danger or is it purely something that affects saving throws? Because I DM'd my first session recently and there's 2 barbarians in the party who are basically using it as a spidey sense at all times. It's making it a little annoying to set up encounters because they both just ask "do I sense danger" literally every time they walk into a new area.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Toshimo posted:

It's just for saving throws.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

By the rules, it only applies to things that cause a Dexterity Saving Throw, and only if the character can see (or is aware of? I forget the exact rule) the cause of the saving throw.

Spidey Sense, explicitly, is not part of it.

Edit: Sensing Danger the way those players want to would be a Perception roll, if anything.

Well then I won't feel bad when I clamp down on this for our next session. It really killed any tension or mystery I was trying to create. Both of them have been playing D&D a lot longer than I have so I just kinda took their word for it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

In regards to Eldritch Blast, do people consider that Repelling Blast can only be applied once per turn like with Grasp of Hadar/Lance of Lethargy? Per the books, the former doesn't make that distinction while the latter two do. To me logic would dictate that RB was probably "meant" to only apply once, given that the other two are very similar effects.

Basically what I'm looking for is someone to justify my greedy desire to be able to move poo poo all around the battlefield.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I mean, it's an effect of the beam so if you're level 5 and you hit two different targets why wouldn't they both be pushed backwards?

I should have been more clear, I meant when hitting a single target with all beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've only ever played 5e. I like it and have a Good TimeTM playing it with my friends.