Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm assuming there are no spells that cause Str or Int saves in the starter set (and maybe even in Basic?). Of course this makes Fighters having proficiency in Str saves all the more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Feats were one of the worst parts of both 3e and 4e, so I'm glad they're not part of the Basic rules.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

October playtest, Indomitable was advantage on all saves at 13th level.

February '14 comes after October '13.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The post you quoted was talking about changes from the Febrary playtest docs, so the change to indomitable had already been made if I'm reading it correctly. I guess I just don't understand what your reply has to do with the quoted post.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Father Wendigo posted:

*Rogues are no longer proficient in Simple Ranged Weapons. It's Hand Crossbow or nothin', Chauncey.

One step forward, two steps back for Mr. Rogue.
Rogues are proficient with all Simple Weapons and can even start with a shortbow as a default piece of equipment.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah concentration is a straight-up good mechanic. I'll totally steal it if/when I ever run BECMI D&D again.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Pages 79-80

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I have to assume that poster MonsterEnvy is under the effect of a Charm Person spell.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

My guess is that nothing is tied to the Hit Dice mechanic because there will be a module that eliminates them for Old School play. The more intertwined mechanics are the harder they are to turn on and off.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You know what to do about most campaigns most ending around level 10? Make your basic rules only go to level 10. *drops mic*

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

In the free game that's supposed to introduce people to the hobby, yes absolutely throw it out.

D&D was originally designed to top out with 6th level spells and higher level stuff was just tacked out without any forethought or rebalancing. Levels 10+ probably should look more like legends from mythology and superheroes and I think the game would be healthier if it was partitioned off from the lower level more mundance dungeon crawler stuff.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 10, 2014

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nope if anything the +1 to all stats version of humans is still weaker than most demihumans. The bonuses just mean your lower abilities are slightly higher than other races, but your highest ones will be equivalent or lower. Since D&D rewards specializing in a few abilities, the extra ability bonuses aren't super helpful.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Everyone knows that most major team sports have two hours for halftime, so a one hour rest is even more heroic than real life!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I mean Wizards does the same thing with 3rd party sites and new Magic previews. It's a smart strategy, really.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Having a leap attack is fine, but the complete lack of any defined attacks related to its burrowing is pretty lame.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

nm

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The biggest thing that kills me about alignment in 5e is that it seems like the perfect case for being made into one of the much-hyped Rules Modules in the DMG. But I guess we need Batman alignment memes or else the world implodes.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wish I still had my Zanzer's Dungeon map mat. That poo poo was dope.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Alignment seems like the poster child for a mechanic that should have been a DMG module. That way you could have OD&D Law vs. Chaos, AD&D 9 point alignment, in-game factional allegiances, etc. all available for people to choose from. There's no reason to bake it into the baseline game aside from nostalgia.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Who's left to fire?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The pathology guy is super :shobon:. I remember reading his page back in the late 90s when I had a small Planescape page of my own on Geocities.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The way I read Cook's post, the office politics stuff likely came from above Mearls in the chain of command. Mearls was just leading the game design - I don't think he made the call about prioritizing the brand over the game. That's not to say that the two didn't butt heads, but I haven't seen anything that implicates Mearls in this particular instance.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm assuming "Ask your DM" but am prepared to be wrong.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The target audience is people who read D&D books on their toilet instead of playing.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There's a section in a 1e book (can't remember if it's the PHB or DMG) where Gygax tells us that he had a plan to rename all these things with terms like "order," "rank," and so on. He didn't go through with it because grognards.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Cantrips have been around since 1st edition AD&D.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm not sure the Next design strategy was intentionally lazy so much as it was dictated from on high to focus on generating revenue from the IP rather than the RPG itself. My guess is Mearls was given close to carte blanche as long as deadlines were met and budgets were followed.

Everything WotC is doing makes total sense if you think that D&D the brand is more valuable than the actual game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Right, 5e feels like it wants to have the freewheeling spirit of Basic/OD&D while still keeping the catalog of rules that AD&D brought for standardizing tournament play. It's trying to serve opposing goals and therefore failing to meet either of them.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 28, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Mortal Wombat

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

:siren:ENWorld's Warlord-specific sub-forum has been merged back into the main site!!!:siren:

Just goes to show that some wounds can be mended by yelling.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There’s no perfect way to list spells. Alphabetically is better for quick reference during play. By level is better for character creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

D&D was really only designed to go to level 9-10 and everything above that was intended to be domain management and epic level type stuff. Spells capped at 5th level before power creep from supplements came along and ruined the game.