Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ryuujin posted:

Remember 5e and 3.x aren't actually any faster than 4e. Except when a spellcaster decides to simply end an encounter because they are broken powerful and have that option.

Quoted for truth.

I've played in a couple of 5e campaigns now, and combats always are either:
* Pretty long, certainly about as long as 4e (post math fixes).
* Over so quick it genuinely took less time than rolling initiative and working out the sequence. I mean why even bother then?

It just never, ever seems to hit the sweet spot. No matter which adventure, or which DM, or which party composition, it just never gets to the Goldilocks zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

dex_sda posted:

What I always said in regards to this is that splatbooks are the worst.

4e and 5e without splatbooks are pretty simple. Not so sure about 3 but then again the last time I've played vanilla was like 15 years ago so who knows.

In 3e, the core book is already deceptively heavy. I recently joined a new 3e game and one player got stuck with playing the Cleric, and I get the feeling that it's a nightmare for her. You know all spells, plus Domain spells which you auto-prepare but can't prepare separately if they're not on the Cleric list, skill synergy bonuses, the cascading effects of Enlarge Person, it's all pretty heavy for a silly little elf-pretend game after dinner.

Ironically, if you play 3e then the game generally improves if you ban the core classes and only allow splatbook classes.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Half the people bitching about Fighter Magic didn't have anything against Book of Nine Swords,

Eh, I don't know about that.

On the other hand, when Paizo copied it into Path of War it seemed much better received, from what I can tell. So there certainly does seem to be a lot of identity politics involved, yeah.