Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Lots and lots to hate with this.

First, Fighter was nerfed extremely hard. Indomitable was made extremely weak, and Defy Death is just gone. Fighters are now going to be pretty drat lovely up against higher level encounters without a christmas tree assortment of items.

Second, mind-bogglingly, opportunity attacks are still a reaction. This is a big problem, because classes need their Reactions for other things, like the rogue's Uncanny Dodge or the Fighter's Protection feature. Since you're limited to 1/round, you can't do both in the same round. If you're holding off three goblins, you can't make any OAs after the first one.

The extreme example that was brought to the Devs attention was the classic "Fighter holds enemies at bay by moving into a narrow hallway to force them to come one at a time". With this, you can have 30 orcs all moving in, attacking, and moving out, and the fighter only gets to take a swing at one of them as they retreat.

Hmmm... I think I'm actually okay with opportunity attacks being a reaction. It'd be kinda neat to be able to actually overwhelm someone. I mean, if you are standing there surrounded its going to be difficult to divide your attention to multiple opponents, plus all the other things you could do with your reaction. I hope, though, that there are eventually options to add more reactions. If not, that'd be something easy to house-rule. Would be cool to grow into some multi-opponent master. I suppose your extreme example is possible, but then you just call your DM a dick (or congratulate their cleverness in luring you into that situation) and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU