Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

Why would anyone play this over, say, Frostgrave, or any other small team based skirmish miniatures game that were actually designed for that type of play? I’m so confused.

In fairness that question is asked about literally anything another game does better than D&D and the answer is pretty much always market share, network effects and brand recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stormwind Fallacy

I really don't get why a blowhard patting himself on the back for a boring unoriginal thought gets memorialized in rpg circles, even ironically

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

its a useful shorthand for a concept

But it's not a unique or original or unobvious idea. If some rear end in a top hat told me "you need to eat food to live" and wrote ten paragraphs about it and called it The Some rear end in a top hat Principle, I wouldn't bring it up when I'm hungry.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh man I want to be a looks warlock or a luck sorcerer.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm +4 on Q and W but - 1 on O and P.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've tried to homebrew a fighter in the style of action heroes before and it's tricky as hell to make an interesting/good martial thing. Ideally he'd be moving through a fight disarming people, throwing their weapons, picking up other ones, improvising weapons from the area around him, etc. Somewhere between a John Woo hero throwing away his guns for more on the ground and Jackie Chan beating the gently caress out of everyone with whatever he can find.

I think the concept is sort of core to a fighter power fantasy but God it doesn't mesh with existing mechanics great

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Parts of it mesh well with monk but to me part of the appeal is making a fighter where the billion weapon proficiencies matter, because you're chucking axes and improvising spears and shooting an idiot with his own crossbow etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Glagha posted:

I forget what's the deal with Pact of the Chain but as I recall the advanced familiars you can pick have some really neat abilities, and I think there's some nonsense you can do to use flyby tricks to get advantage all the time or something.

Shoot, a basic owl has flyby. That said, every DM I've met either hates running separate familiar initiative or thinks flyby is bullshit without stopping to think "let's just shoot the owl"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone know a fun feywild one shot other than Into the Feywild or that recent monk one that's weird with onis and poo poo?

I'll probably do one myself but if there's quality out there, I'd look

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hah I should have specified that one too. I'm gonna fold that into a larger campaign but want a short one off thing as like an interest check

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/bizmarkiedesade/status/1054931659257085952

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's not so much that they suck to me as that they are either not very realized or badly so imo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Ok I guess, but then i'm questioning why they went with a blade in the first place and didn't just let me sign a pact with the Raven Queen directly. Seems like both a missed opportunity and an unnecessary hurdle.

I just nuke the patron, put hex warrior in as a pact feature, and make the invocations available with the pact. Haven't had any takers yet though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If anything Bard makes the cost of Half-Drow nearly free since you'll have a billion skill proficiencies and the ones you don't pick up because of the variant half-elf tradeoff lose only a little more than half because of Jack of All Trades (a little more since it rounds down)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

How do I preserve an issue for an appellate dungeonmaster to hear

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My dm was trying out an item wishlist so I was able to build with low strength on a hill dwarf, knowing I could still wear the armor and eventually get Str to boost Booming Blade.

Straight busted. I took a level in sorcerer instead of Magic initiate though. Slower spell progression but having Shield and Favored by the Gods as well as Bless in a non-prep sorcerer list was well worth it for me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

We're doing a short campaign (probably 1-5) with a kobolds-only party. I want to play something that will make two new players feel like stars. Big on that list is something that can stay up in the poo poo and not die so I can keep Pack Tactics going for the crew.

An unfortunate light cleric who keeps frying his little cave-dwelling eyes seems like a lot of fun, but anyone got any other ideas that would fit?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Illwinter is easy to use but extremely primitive.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did they seriously nerf Four Elements Monk

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gun monk should be a thing that is fun and good and not a goofy favor you have to ask of your DM to allow you to play a really bad version of a really bad monk.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Applied as it's actually written it's a nerf. But as written, Contagion was so busted that they issued a "clarification" that instead made it largely useless. This new version is a middle ground. I probably wouldn't use it now but it's not the wreck it once was.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bonnono posted:

Last night characters were granted a wish. So after giving them 5 minutes to table talk it out one of them blurted out “Peace on earth with goodwill towards all men”. Trying to think up a creative way to interpret this since the name of the world is not earth.

The abolition of slavery on the Elemental Plane of Earth has driven the Dao to seek out plunder and form a settler state on the plot-relevant plane of your choice.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

We stumbled into a ridiculous state of affairs and nuked the gently caress out of a deadly encounter in an extremely short time, including a goddamn mind flayer. I got to counter Plane Shift with my piddling level 3 counterspell!

Also in like 2 years of playing this is the first time I was able to make a Hexed ability check matter because instead of begging my party like "hey guys, if you grapple or restrain him it's a check, not a save!" I was playing our absent warlock and my wizard so I could finally set up a combo my own goddamn self.

I hope that mind flayer wasn't important to the plot because apparently he's supposed to gently caress off out the door or via plane shift.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's fun and by fun I mean dumb and arbitrary that the rules for Summon Lesser/Greater Demon both just ignore the focus/component rules per Crawford.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are we due UA? They've moved it and disappointed with it enough that I'm not sure when it happens now.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Picked up a dirt-cheap Nook tablet for some dungeonman stuff. It's an android tablet so I moved over the spellbook app. Need a good app for character sheet and inventory. Anyone got any suggestions?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So Misty Step is, for some goofy reason, a Conjuration spell. That means a conjurer is weirdly mobile and capable of shuffling a team around with Benign Transposition.

Anyone seen anything really cool with that or have neat ideas? I definitely want to throw our druid bear into danger (with her consent of course).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm in a campaign that's sort of joining some modules together and we've wound up in Dragon Heist. I'm satisfied with the game, the dm, the group, and my character. But I'm struggling to justify to myself that this rural hedge wizard of mine belongs in cosmopolitan Waterdeep. And I'm not sure there's a lot of fish-out-of-water potential in a dirty old swamp curmudgeon. Other than just harumphing at things.

I'm considering having him gently caress off to the nearest swamp in favor of a new character but if it's just a failure of my own imagination to find ways for him to plug into the world, I'm not against keeping him.

Any ideas or feelings about this one way or the other?

We've already done a big city makeover and growing accustomed to luxuries but there's only so much an oddball hermit can do before leaving or slowly becoming a fundamentally different person.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 13, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had him drifting to becoming a proper sophisticated wizard but I think he's gonna reject it and dig deeper into being an oddball.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In fairness, charisma save is weaker on most enemies, you can cast it on enemies immune to charm, and extraplanar guys stay gone.

I agree with your central point about Suggestion but it's a *bit* muddier than it seems.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know in large part the lack of books everywhere is good for the game but it bums me out that there's this big sale on D&D poo poo and I can't take advantage of it as I already have every book I want and have no interest in DMing a module.

I know "boo hoo there's nothing for me to buy" is peak first world problems but still. If we had a million splatbooks or the sale extended to DMsGuild I might have something to pick up.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

The GIFTBOOK18 code works on any physical book so you could always pick up some other gaming system's book or whatever.

Well shoot, I didn't know that! Time to waste some money!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got good resources on dming overworld exploration? My experience is entirely in one shots and an urban campaign so the idea of spending weeks in the wilds (when the wilds have stuff that matters) is new to me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Are you doing a quest chain, or a sandbox/hexcrawl, and are you gonna map and detail the whole thing, or fake it?

If it's quest/detailed then you do it like anything else linear and planned. If not I can do an effortpost for you later today.

Quest chain, but one where the journey should matter. Like the early story goal is they're charged with getting to the Feywild from point A and travel to point B to open a gate back to the prime from their end. It's gritty dangerous work for people who don't have a lot waiting for them back home, other than an interest bearing account.

They'll have reasons to stick around later (or they decide mission accomplished and I guess we're done if they wanna leave the Feywild in chaos) but the journey across one continent is more than something you vignette away on a boat ride.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is a hex crawl a bad fit for this? I mean, the episodic mini adventures thing is in line with my plans, I just have never done a hex crawl so I know very little about it

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 21, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So what's going to be the place to talk 5e when this thread is shut down. Dm advice thread?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hell are there third party splats that are worthwhile in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What does such an OP want? For example, the current one tries to talk about certain core mechanics. Is that even worth the trouble given the complexity of the game and the variety of sources better than a forum post to teach it? (This sounds like a rhetorical question but it's not.)