Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah it's great when my friend rolls low and that means my character dies even though I made good decisions and have been rolling well. You should definitely make sure this fun and awesome scenario can happen in your game too.
Yes, sometimes other players rolling low will cause your team to lose the fight and you to die, isn't that kinda how this thing works? I'm a new D&D player so I dunno maybe that's not usually how it is, but each characters actions affecting one another seems like a big part of the point, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm in basically the same boat - it will be my first time DMing to a group of new players, just picking up the newest D&D with the nice low-setup starter set seemed easiest. Gonna give that a trial run and see how we like it. The adventure certainly seems better than one in the pathfinder starter set, which was just the one dungeon. I've read way too much about all of them at this point but I think that's easiest. 4e sounds fun but fiddling with combat math myself to make encounters shorter seems like a bridge too far, curious why they didn't reprint the original MM.

I'm already thinking about what to fudge, probably will only have 3 players and the starter adventure seems plenty lethal for 4 players. Really, the starter traps when my players are gonna have no clue to look for them do 2d6 damage? Making that 1d6 seems easy sensible to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 2, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can just take 20 there though, no? I realize that there were no codified rules for that until 3e but come on, that's the obvious implication of such a system. Why would you have the player roll if they're an expert lockpick doing a routine thing with no time constraint?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Why roll 3 times for this?

If you succeed, you open the lock quickly and slip through the door undetected.

If you fail, you open the lock slowly and a guard spots you slipping through the door thinking you're undetected.

The consequence for failure is "the guard sees you". If you want to make it easier or harder, don't adjust the number of rolls, adjust the DC. That's what it's there for.
What if the player wants to take a different action if it's not an immediate success? Like "briefly try to open the door, if fail I go through the vents instead." Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

The scenario was you've only got three rounds before they see you trying to open the door.

Sure, if there are air vents you can go through those instead in the 12 seconds you've got left. What about rapelling down from an airship though? Or riding a purple worm up through the basement?

Or what about a system where you need X number of successes at "breaking and entering" style skills before you get Y number of failures?
I was imagining the guard was on the other side of the door so that, 20 seconds from now, they would see if it opened, but right now they do not. I dunno whatever, it basically seems like figuring out when to roll and when to give it to the players is an important job of the DM. If failures are (known to the players or not) catastrophic, always roll. If they never are, never roll, just say they succeed or will never succeed. Middle ground you gotta decide.

Sorry if this poo poo is obvious, I'm new at DMing and trying to figure out intuition here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Zomborgon posted:

e: My apologies for inadvertently causing that bit of a scuffle, I didn't mean for that to be a situation in a vacuum.
Oh that wasn't a scuffle. When I wander into town looking for a scuffle, you'll KNOW! *takes 20 on intimidation check after trying dozens of insults*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It explicitly says it's considered a kensai weapon if you're proficient in it. If you are saying that kensai weapons are different from monk weapons, well, obviously that's not the intent there and no one sane would enforce the rules that way.

Like, okay, maybe the somewhat vague wording is a problem, but it's a pretty far cry from a "huge" problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 13, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rules lawyer attempt: Kensai weapons are monk weapons to a kensai. Kensai are a type of monk, their weapons are a type of monk weapons. This would apply to any monk path that adds weapon proficiencies.

It's weirder that it doesn't say "martial melee weapon", that means you can pick a bow and still get the AC bonus.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

What the hell does Kensei Weapon mean then?
Man I've only been playing for a few weeks and I figured it out - it means the designer is a fool and to be ignored.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Just did a first session for SKT on roll20. The included maps are pretty cool, every monster has a token pre-created and the maps from the book are pre-populated. I bought it because it sounded the coolest, not realizing that it's literally the only adventure for 5e on there besides the starter-set one. I'm a brand new DM so I'm learning on here. (My other group is doing the starter set in person....somehow my two groups of friends both had the idea to play D&D near-simultaneously, but I can't really combine them.) Having an explicit grid manager thing seems really nice. Gonna post my thoughts/review based on the one session here.

The platform feels a little weak to me. Everything in the interface is like, twice as clunky as it needs to be. The character sheets are somewhat unreliable, at the same time trying too hard to automate some things while not trying at all to do others. Overall character sheets seem pretty loosely mapped to players, which is understandable for a big game-agnostic toolkit style thing, but come on. Can't I at least click on a player's name and quickly see their character sheet? I left all of them open, but any time it updated it would refresh and no longer be "popped out" and I'd have to click like 6 times to get it back on the browser tab I want it on. This isn't a huge deal, but small gaps in play due to interface design feel like loving forever when I'm the one responsible for them and the whole group is waiting.

It's strange that it has this whole system for turn management that stops short of tracking what a given player can do on a turn. We have a grid, players with movement scores, etc, but not even a visual indicator of how much they are "allowed" to move? (Even showing it but having it be unenforced would be an improvement.) I have to hit end turn myself every time instead of players ending their own turn? You'd think it could also let the player indicate who they attack in some way besides pinging and check AC/subtract HP for me and all that, but that's okay, I can do that, it's nice to be able to override stuff seamlessly anyway so that works.

From the player side, It's awkward that there doesn't seem to be a way to simply have the map jump to your character's tile, instead relying on your tile being easily recognizable on the huge variety of HUGE background maps and making them scroll. Overall characters seem only loosely mapped to players. This is especially an issue when they enter a building that is mapped out in a separate part of the map, because I gotta drag the tokens across a map that doesn't even fit in a 2560x1600 screenful if I want to have reasonably sized squares, then instruct the players on how to get there in the big empty black square. Gonna kick someone's rear end if they try to go in and out of one of those buildings during combat.

The dynamic lighting they offer is really cool. (Interface is clunky, explicit doors that I could double-click on to open or close would be nice. Instead I have to delete the border and put it back it seems.) Weird that I have to pay 4.99/month for it but I get it. I liked it enough that I'll keep using that.

I figured out only at the very end that I could like, shift-click on tokens to pull up the character sheet instead of the "token options", ie, poo poo that I almost never want to change or read. That was my biggest complaint and thankfully amounted to "read the manual idiot". Not sure what the point of this post was but like, I guess the moral is, I had hella fun playing D&D and I can only assume it gets better with practice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I use a different online tabletop on account of finding Roll20 kind of too clunky for me.

Like the fact that I have to get rid of the chat window to see the other options. Though I remember everyone being able to end their own turn when I played with it. Anyway glad you had fun.

On Storm King. A quick warning cause you are new. The book itself tells you this as well. Giants are big and dangerous, both you and your players should know this and also realize that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. (Even at the higher levels taking on multiple giants at the same time is dangerous.) If your players are overwhelmed at some point and don't run away. A good idea is to have them captured instead of killed.
I think fantasy grounds is the other one I was looking at but it seemed like a huge upfront investment compared to

Thanks for the warning - they haven't found any giants yet but I already warned them. I presume they'll just keep fighting anyway. Looking at the descriptions, I'm going to have them go to the frozen north city, but the fight there has at least 3 frost giants and two wolves. I get that they have npcs and walls and a gate and all that, but that still seems kinda nuts to fight for 4 level 5 characters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arivia posted:

Roll20 has a ruler tool for counting squares. Also, shift-click on the map as a GM to force all player views to where you clicked.

The ruler isn't what I mean, roll20 is fine about distances, just not speed. I want it to track how much a player can move in a turn, and only let them move that much, show how much they have left, show what squares they are eligible to move to, etc.

Cool cool about the view, that will help a lot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lifg posted:

Roll20 is clunky. It doesn't give a lot of tools to help the DM, I always keep a pen and pencil nearby when I've used it.

If your players are new to it, plan on combat taking 200% as long. If they're used to it, plan on combat taking 125% as long.
For what it's worth, I have two samples. My inexperienced players playing on pen and paper took much longer than my more experienced players playing on roll20 did. Everyone having a phb or a computer with a phb in front of them helped a lot, since I could much more easily outsource stuff or look it up for myself without having someone pass it to me explicitly. The players were also more dedicated because they have experience but yeah.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Treating death as more or less serious is part of setting tone I think. I think it's pretty valid for the DM to want you to feel that tension you're describing - combat as vicious and dangerous and to be avoided if possible is certainly one way to run a game. You can decide that you don't like games like that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with playing it that way, as long as you're not excluded from participating by having to reroll at level 1 or something. Roleplaying that sort of tension is something you should do anyway - presumably your character is actually feeling the tension that they might be viciously murdered even if you, the player, aren't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lol if you use a square grid and don't explain it within the metaphysics of your world. In a square room? Your character sees a circle, deal with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That's exactly what you're proposing, at least as the characters are concerned. Your octagon/square grid is just how your represent that on euclidean paper.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ran my first proper session of SKT with my group, and it certainly seems like everyone had fun.(First session was a meet+greet/character building session.) They were pretty murderous with the playful goblins but they know Kella's true intentions and haven't killed her, a good sign of....not murdering every npc which helps me. I'm pretty sure they're just not going to go in the keep at all, which is strange, who doesn't go in the big setpiece part of the town???? Whatever lol, it's all good, I think they're gonna sleep and then the zhents will arrive tomorrow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wait resistance doesn't apply to spells? Cold resistance doesn't reduce damage from cone of cold? :psyduck:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Playing video of your character's mom and I. It definitely will cause you damage but there's no magic - it was all physical.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

3 attacks per 2 rounds huh?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rolling for monster perception seems kinda silly - "passive perception" or whatever fixed DC the DM decides is reasonable ought to be sufficient to cover everything. If one PC is trying to sneak past another....you hosed up already.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Looking at storm king's thunder as a new DM, I already am worried about situations like that. How do I make the encounters against too-strong feel tense without also having the threat of death, especially if my players choose risky options like toe-to-toe instead more clever stuff? The 3 frost giant/2 wolf one seems particularly lethal even with city walls and player-controlled npcs(:wtf:) and all that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

To what extent did it ever work? Tomb of Horrors is famous and stuff even outside of normal d&d circles but I don't think it's supposed to be like, a fun adventure for your friends.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

Then get rid of the charisma stat and all social interaction skills. Don't pretend that these are character abilities that you invest character resources into if they are not. At very least, don't act surprised when players are confused after being actively misled.
...what? How is that related? You can have both things here - you have to actually roleplay your character intimidating someone, and the roll determines if it succeeds. You can figure out how a conversation goes using skill checks without turning into it into a gamey "I intimidate" button.

Why would you bother having non-hostile npcs if your interactions with them are going to consist of things like "I deceive them"?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

Because none of a character's other abilities are powered by the player's improv skills. They don't have to do this to cast a spell or fight a monster.
Lol I guess workarounds for not having social skills is an important rpg feature but that's not how my group rolls and strikes me as missing the point. If my group wanted that I probably wouldn't bother with too many NPCs because that sounds pretty boring to do repeatedly and basically just turns NPCs into monsters you attack with charisma. :shrug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My point isn't really that you need to be as convincing as the character would be, just that you ought to interact with npcs like a person interacting with another person, not like a dude playing a video game. It's the DMs job to infer "ahh, they are trying to intimidate them" and roll the proper things to see if it works while keeping up the conversation. (While still rewarding good roleplaying.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also I don't know what the point of playing D&D is if your line of thinking is "[wrenches face derisively] ~improv skills~" at the idea of roleplaying but I guess it's cool that it appeals to different people in that way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I definitely know dudes who like the idea of killing dragons but aren't hyped at the idea of wasting time haggling with rando shopkeeps, even if their character certainly would.
Yeah, I mean, I'm talking about conversations that matter, where convincing someone of something is important and has effects on things to come. When success might mean a new allied kingdom and failure might mean war or a fight or whatever. You don't have to roleplay the small talk you made with the innkeeper during your piss break between watch shifts. Haggling with shopkeeps can be abstracted away, you want to sell stuff just say you do, you're in a major city and presumably you can find some place to do it fairly. If you're trying to buy or sell something weird, or story-significant, then it's time to roleplay. Maybe you know a shopkeeper has something you want extremely badly, but doesn't want to sell it, and you want to convince him to sell it without revealing why or how important it is to you. It's way more interesting to actually have that conversation.

I think this kind of goes for the entirety of the game - spend more time on something the more important it is. You don't have to roll initiative and a save to coup-de-grace that sleeping goblin either.

This does mean it's hard to roleplay someone with superhuman intelligence or whatever, and that's fine. If someone is IRL not a very bright person, they probably shouldn't roleplay one. Recalling memories and facts that your character would know by asking the DM is also fine - there's a line there. But an active conversation going on right now that the results of are important? Tell me what your character says.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Agent355 posted:

I would disagree with this bit, but not the rest of it.

Lots of the fun in dnd is exploring a character wholly different from yourself. Drawing a line at intelligence isn't something I would consider doing.
I mean, I wouldn't tell a player they weren't allowed to, but I can't imagine it working too well. It's cool to explore characters different from you but, to the extent that a human is controlling the character and choosing what actions to take, you can't just make the character have good ideas the character won't. If the player chooses not to run out of harm's way when they're at 1 hp, even if his character certainly would, that's ultimately their choice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Why can't a player roll INT to see if their character solves a puzzle? The character's got an 18 int, the player invested game resources in making them smart, let them use the resources they bought. Do you keep a set of weights around for so when a player says their character is lifting a boulder? "It's a 500 pound rock, show me how you're lifting it <gestures at pile of plates>". What's the difference?
Because using your (player) brain to figure out what to do in the situations presented is a major component of D&D and I think it hurts the experience a lot to leave that out. Lifting rocks with your big strong (player) muscles is not. I think they are fundamentally different for that reason.

Like, in combat, you don't ask your DM to roll a check to see if you figure out the optimal tactics for fighting this particular monster, you just fight the monster.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

uh what? you roll knowledge checks to find out their weaknesses / resistsances / tactics
That's sort of general information about the monster. Why can't you roll a skill for to figure out, say, the best possible actions for your team of 4 to take on the next 10 turns to maximize chances of victory(given what you see) while minimizing resource use? You succeed your skill check, your DM tells you the results of the 10 turns and you repeat or move on. Just as the guy above said, maybe you're proficient in "small unit tactics", why make your characters ability to work as a coordinated team subject to your players' improv skill?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I guess it's just another limitation of the system that this is even a problem. lol.

Seriously though, because a combat challenge is a series of rolls, and the risk for failing is death.
Yeah obviously your character the tactics expert has also rolled to carefully infer the best course of action to take in the event of anyone getting hurt. No need to talk it out, just do whatever is optimal, you rolled high on your tactics check, your DM can do the rolling and apply appropriate contingent actions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That situation is pretty far removed from the initial thing described. I don't think it's crazy to just roll dice for a solution if you encounter a literal block sliding puzzle. (Recognizing it as such is still up to the player though. Probably would not ever put this in a game I ran.) Intelligence (or wisdom or whatever) isn't just about solving puzzles though. In general, figuring out what to do is something the players should do and not roll for, the same combat is not resolved with a single combat check. The same goes for communicating with plot-important NPCs.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Yes, this. Socially awkward teenagers get to say "Prancey the Famous Bard (and con-man extraordinaire) fast-talks the stablehand into loaning him the cart horse". Wheelchair-bound dudes get to say "Krarg the Mighty throws the boat at the guards". People who can never find their own keys or wallet get to say "Ts'herlock the Warlock Detective examines the room to figure out if the countess was here recently, making clever observations to his sidekick". Then they roll dice.

e: As for the sliding block puzzle, or the lever sequence puzzle, or whatever - I wouldn't put those into a game on their own. They'd be part of an encounter. Using your action to roll a check to see if your character can figure out the solution is already a penalty, especially when everyone's already fighting. Same as the barbarian trying to lift the gate so everyone can get in (or out) while the battle is happening. Or the rogue trying to get to the balcony by running up the chandelier rope while the guards rush at everyone.

e2: I never said you should get to roll an int check to autowin combat. If the player makes bad choices in combat, they are, and should be, still likely to win if the character is really good at sword fighting. If the player makes bad choices at negotiations, they should still be likely to win if the character is an excellent diplomat.
Ahh - the puzzle as part of an encounter sounds pretty cool. I could see that working, though it'd be 10 times more satisfying to me if the player figured out, mid-combat, what was going on with the sliding blocks. That way the player still gets to have that flash of insight where they realize what's going on, and then only rely on their int roll to get the solution given that. I wouldn't want to take away that "flash of insight" feeling by rolling for it and then telling them because they rolled well.

I was the one talking about autowin combat - to me that's as silly as autowin dialogue. Totally agreed on the big setpiece battle thing too - there *are* times where autowin combat is appropriate - combat that's at a different scope than the players and their adventuring team probably shouldn't get the roll initiative treatment, but that's a case-by-case thing. The same goes for dialogue. In general, "I intimidate him" on an important npc encounter doesn't work for me the same way "I use my knowledge of combat to beat the orcs" doesn't either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I was running Storm King's Thunder and there's a DC 20 chest in the starting town. Lockpicking a chest while there's no time pressure sounds like a reasonable time to take 20, but that's kinda boring and why was the chest even there with no encounter? I may just not do stuff like that any more, since why was there a lock, but I thought that was a particularly strange one. (I said rolling a 1 would break his tools and made him roll until he passed but still.)

The other option would be to say like, one attempt and that's it, or one attempt and that's it until a long rest (to uhh, re-approach the problem with a beginner's mind.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Of note, I'm actually preparing to run this campaign myself, and while it's been a little bit since I read all of Chapter 1, are you talking about the chest in the castle in Nighthold? because if I recall not only was there a [/spoiler]trap in that room[/spoiler], but also guards who would be with the party that would tell them off for trying to mess with it. I would definitely not give them infinite time to dally in that situation.

Unless I'm completely wrong about where the chest is but I believe I remember reading about a hard to open chest and being like, what a tease.

Tags added to ward off anyone who is looking to be a player in said campaign, or has a passing interest.

Nah, it was the owner's gear in the inn. For some reason my players decided not to bother with the keep.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Well poo poo! Yeah that is asinine. I'll take note of that though! Thanks for the info.

Please post about your campaign when you start. I'd kill for someone's notes all the way through, though I found some blog that has a nice writeup. No clue how my players are gonna do the fight with 3 giants and 2 wolves in bryn shandar where they each control an npc - that seems like a confusing clusterfuck and a recipe for [N]PC death.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I was thinking that, in my game, I'd have attuning magic items reserve a spell slot, of a level that I decide per-item. (Perhaps based on minor/major/whatever.) Non-casters and casters get the same theoretical number, it's just that non-casters don't have any spells so there's less opportunity cost.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kibner posted:

This would make any limited spell slot caster (like Paladin and maybe Warlock) have to choose between having any magical gear or any magical spells.

Yeah I was thinking of just picking a class (say wizard) and going with it's progression of, uhh, "spell" slots for every character for the purposes of magical items. A magic item wouldn't count as one of your class spell-slots until you expended the ones you didn't have those for. I know that's super confusing and all but it seems like a pretty simple fix. No idea how this interacts with warlocks' higher level not-quite-slots, haven't thought it through that far and there isn't one in my party.

It's certainly not strictly a nerf to casters since it actually lets you use (way) more magic items than the rules as written. It's just even more of a buff to non-casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

How certain of you that you can't use extra attacks + gfb? A spell that involves making an actual melee attack, complete with to-hit modifiers and rolling against monster AC isn't "an attack action"?