Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thespaceinvader posted:

So disappointed that the Mr Feeze jokes got shut down though D:

They really gave that idea a cold shoulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get their grog glands greased by mentioning that it's a campaign focused on the Deck of Many Things.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcom posted:

How hard is it to rig a wagon wheel to fall off. I have zero frame of reference for this.

I'm guessing the hard part is keeping the wheel from falling off immediately.

Now, if you were to cast Prestidigitation or a Grease spell...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feats come at the cost of ability score increases, and some are still much better than others.

While we're on the subject — gently caress 3e/3.5 Toughness.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotta have room for that second Striker.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skellybones posted:

Bard also makes a great wrestler.

Change Vicious Mockery to "Listen up, brother." and summon actual 22 inch pythons.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does AL magic item ownership work?

I got a Ring of Mind Shielding a year ago, but when I picked the game up again was told I couldn't use it unless I played the exact same character that earned it.

I didn't want to bring a lvl 3 character into an AL game with first-time players starting at lvl 1 back in September, so it's just a card I have atm. I wasn't upset about the item, but it made me curious.

Does it work based on player ownernship or character ownership?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know I'm a page behind on this, but here are suggestions for implementing Cleave-style moves for Fighters.

Use the mook rules from 13th Age. Excess damage applies to other mooks in the pool rather being wasted.

FFG SWRPG's minion rules have a group of enemies' skills and combat power diminish as their shared HP pool decreases.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A friend is rejoining my Roll20 group and submitted a "randomly rolled" character that's the equivalent of 47 point-buy.

So, uh, I'm going to rebuild it to match the 22 points everyone else has and see what the DM thinks about it. The DM and current players agreed to it.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Power of Faerun is one of them.

The 3e Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is another.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the new UA with stats for Eladrin and Gith PCs.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

It really makes me miss the 4e Githzerai.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Hold on, let me see roll to randomly see what my personality is for this session."

Boy that's a character gimmick that won't get old as gently caress fast.

CN Eladrin Wild Magic Sorc

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can the entire forum qualify as plural "you and you alone"?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was one of the problems with 4e's Keep on the Shadowfell.

There were a lot of extra encounters that were probably intended to introduce game mechanics but were mostly dead ends that wasted party resources without advancing the story.

Plus ulimited kobold shifting...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haggins posted:

Dice are dice.

Let me introduce you to Colonel Zocchi. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZbdZNuRIw

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 9, 2017

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

suggestions for lowering the fps on webcams to cut bandwidth use? this one would be pointed at a psychical tabletop, the dm is frustrated with roll20

My group plays in Roll20 but we use Google Hangouts in a separate window for A/V.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reik posted:

There's a Dwarf racial feat that may end up in XGE that let's you spend a hit dice when you take the dodge action?

Is it called Second Wind?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sax Solo posted:

...where's the cool Faerűn good stuff? Of all the exciting, evocative, creative sourcebooks that lurk just out of view, which one is the most exciting, evocative, and creative?

My favorite stuff to read back in the day way Magic of Faerun (more for all of the info on crafting materials than the spells), Races of Faerun, Faiths and Pantheons, and Power of Faerun.

The individual continent/region books were fun to read, but I can’t think of a standout to recommend.

I think I still have Power of Faerun, and wouldn’t be surprised of the faction and leadership rules wound up copied and pasted into 5e.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Would this have worked better?

“Barbarian Agility:
While you are not wearing heavy armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex Dexterity Saves. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st 20th level.”

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hi! :roboluv:

—————

As far low light/dark/infra-vision, I’m realizing that my groups (2e-5e) probably ignored special vision for basic lighting 90% of the time.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malpais Legate posted:

So everyone here thinks fighters suck because they're just jealous of jocks?

That's some dumb fuckin logic my dude.

:v:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A couple of sugestions for an effect’s duration could be “until the end of your next turn” and “the effected target may roll to save against the effect at the end of each of their turns. A successful save ends the effect.” but let the effect (assuming the Battlemaster hits and then expends a die to activate the debuff) last for at least one round.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nihilarian posted:

why would anyone want to eat a sweaty onion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

F/E: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons with Spoons > D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: The Fifth One: If You Sweat an Onion Does it Not Change?

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 26, 2018

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If anyone knows where I might find model files like this I would love to know. I'm willing to pay for some but obviously if there are any free ones out there it would be even better.

Check Thingiverse if you haven’t already.

https://www.thingiverse.com/

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I miss 4e.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite AP atm is Neo Scum, but that’s Shadowrun.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cassa posted:

Why do so few racial attacks scale. Surely a minotaur with 13 levels of xp has used his headbutt a few times?

Because 5e? Minotaurs previously had this ability:

4th Edition posted:

Goring charge
(minotaur racial power)
Encounter

Standard Action

Melee 1

Effect: You charge and make the following attack in place of a melee basic attack.

Target: one creature
Attack: Strength + 4, Constitution + 4, or Dexterity + 4 vs. AC
The bonus to this attack roll increases from +4 to +6 at 11th level, and to +8 at 21st level.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage, and you knock the target prone.
Level 11: 2d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.
Level 21: 3d6 + Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity modifier damage.[PH3:10]
Goring charge is a racial encounter power gained by minotaurs at 1st level.

Change it to once per short or long rest and “stat +4” to add proficiency bonus and it should be good, right?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noxin of Shame posted:

Tome of Foes trip report: Our DM in my home game busted out a Nightwalker...

Its main attack was (iirc) a con 21 save to avoid ~50 damage, and if hit another con save to resist losing those hit points from your max HP permanently....

Of all the things from previous editions to resurrect, they brought back permanent ability drain? Ouch.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

-2 Strength is a pretty hefty penalty. Just give it to Fighters as one of three or four Stances they can take on top of the existing Fighter stuff.

Whoah, whoah, whoah — Let’s not add weaboo fightan magic to our game!

Seriously, though — Why aren’t stances a limited resource like Fighters/Wardens/etc. had previously? Defenders being able to Mark is one of the first things I’d houserule into a 5e home game.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well that's better. I'd way rather brutally kill the one hapless dude in one hit and have a story while they make a new level 1 character...”

Do you apply this policy to newbies as well?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Who described a policy? I described a preference...

Do you apply this preference to newbies as well?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool in AD&D. Lame in 4e. Misleading powers in 5e. I agree that it seems like 5e Bladsingers shouldn’t actually try to fight in melee.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChaseSP posted:

It's not a joke at all. Trying to recover a weapon dangling from your wrist is a 10 or 15 check. Can't remember. Based off a developers own "testing". Might as well as played with a ball-in-cup and used that as an example.

The funny thing is that I pick up a round, palm-sized key attached to a 2’ elastic cord via muscle memory almost every day at work. I forget which round of the “I tied a mouse to my wrist to make a game rule” it was, but it was a funny day when I realized I’d passed his test. I remember thinking that was BS back when I read that anecdote in Dragon Mag.

You see, the key is on a cord attached to a fence. The base of the cord is easier to reach than twisting and bending to pick up the key, so I use the cord to pull the key into my hand without needing to look. There was a day when I did that and realized “it’s the goddammed computer mouse...”

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s hard to believe that the Paizo office was devoid of NERF blasters in 2013.

http://nerfhaven.com/forums/topic/9382-how-to-dual-wield-mavericks/

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The underpowered/boring classes in 13A are Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, and Monk.

Multiclassing Fighter/Ranger and Paladin/Cleric (IIRC) can add some complexity to those two. James Wyatt Jonathan Tweet apparently made the Monk bad on purpose. I played a Monk but respecced to Bard and described everything as drunken boxing and had a much more effective character. The Barbarian’s Rage is severely limited early on, but an easy houserule for it would be 1+CON mod/day at level one.

They’ve added more character classes since I’ve played 13A, but those are the big ones I remember.

F/E: Is Druid still a hot mess, too?

Edit: It was Jonathan Tweet, not James Wyatt who co-wrote 13A.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 24, 2018

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wyvernil posted:

Not sure why you'd intentionally make a bad class.
Are the designers one of those people who subscribe to the "No monks, European fantasy only, Final Destination" philosophy?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing why this is the case, if it's literally the case.

I edited my original post b/c I was wrong when I said James Wyatt doesn’t like Monks. It was Jonathan Tweet (who co-authored 13A with Rob Heinsoo). Essentially, Tweet didn’t like the Monk in 3e/3.5 and left them out of core 13A, but fans wanted a playable Monk so one was included as a Kickstarter goal for 13 True Ways. I couldn’t find the original blog post that mentioned this, but I did find an AMA with Tweet from 2014.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8t7mHtL.jpg[/timg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/aL1cQxq.jpg[/timg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/0XNYdIf.jpg[/timg]

I’ll try to fix the imgur embedding later.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 24, 2018

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The right Cleric build will out-fighting person a Fighter.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turning into a Dragon King as a capstone in Dark Sun was one of the less-interesting Epic Destinies.

Doing that in AD&D took forever, though...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

Cant wait to have an adventure in Ohio

Hey now — We’ve long since dropped meth for prescription opiods and heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they include anything about 3e being too much like Diablo 2? WotC even had official sourcebooks for Diablo classes, spells, and monsters.