Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

origami posted:

I started cracking up at the babies line.

In my theater, after that line there was a pause and some dude in the audience just went "...Jesus Christ" and then a bunch of people started laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What was with everyone celebrating new years in the middle of a fight

It was cool and funny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Electromax posted:

I thought there was some comment about the fish blood, like infection or poison or something. I must've misunderstood, psychological intimidation makes more sense.

"Be careful" definitely got the biggest laugh of the whole movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

There's something about sci-fi allegories about populist uprisings that almost always leave me dissatisfied. At least in cinema, where they usually seem to take the form of "man, wouldn't it be epic if we all took down The Man" stories that play out relatively uncomplicatedly aside from some Hollywoodish twists. In this film you have an aesthetic and at times tonal broadness paired with what struck me as one of the more refined perspectives on revolutionary struggle I've seen in a recent film.

I wasn't 100% crazy about the film, but I definitely thought more than once "this is soooooooo much better than Elysium."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

Yeah I think the bare fact of Elysium existing probably made me way more grateful for how this played out.

Especially when you directly compare the endings of the two: Elysium has the most bullshit, naive happy ending possible for the scenario, and Snowpiercer manages to not only not have that but also strike a really good balance between it and pure cynical "you're all hosed" grimness. The final shots of the polar bear are really beautiful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I kept expecting what I thought was the obvious, that the protein bars were the recycled dead of the train. Maybe the swerve was intentional. We never do find out what happens to the dead of the train, do we?

The reveal worked mostly due to Chris Evans selling the poo poo out of the reaction. I wasn't too grossed out, but I definitely bought that he was super grossed out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Hmm, never got around to seeing those. Must just be my brain playing tricks.

Police, Adjective is excellent. I did not recognize that guy though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gathered my thoughts somewhat on the movie here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Why give a painkiller to the guy you're about to torture?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Why? Clearly there are some situations in which death is preferable to a sustained existence of 'unnecessary' suffering.

I dunno if that's actually clear.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

wyoming posted:

Yeah, I don't get this at all, how is the name Gilliam wall breaking in any sense?

it's way too on the nose for a movie that's already humping Terry Gilliam a lot

it's the equivelant of if, in Robocop, the cop's name was Jesus H. Murphy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

But a Latino-Anglican Robocop would have been awesome.

Touché

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'll put it this way: it's less corny and stupid than all of the characters in Final Destination being named after classic horror directors, but more corny and stupid than the two lead characters in Return of the Living Dead being named Burt and Ernie.

• Locked thread