Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Because I haven't. My point has been that Bush had the option to address it and didn't, not that he countermanded any investigation.
where I kept saying the failure was to follow up. They didn't follow up because
1) Bush & co had them already eyeing Iraq

2) by policy and mandate interdepartmental coordination was tamped down.

Bush could have taken the warnings from the Clinton administration seriously. He could have taken the immediate warning seriously and told them to coordinate and follow up. He chose to disregard it. Pretending that he was never warned, that the CIA didn't see this coming completely absolves him of his responsibility.

And you are a lying, again. This started with you talking about how the CIA didn't see it coming. Which was false. Then you tried to frame it as "only evidence CIA saw anything came from the CIA after the fact. ". Which is intellectually dishonest. You didn't even accept the IG report until you got beat down on first denying the memo and then trying to write it off as not counting.

You said something stupid, something that was corrected yesterday. And now we get you dancing between naked trolling and pedantic bullshit all because you don't want to say "wow I hosed up when I said
, my mistake"

No, this started with my adding one of the CIA's well documented failures to a list of failures and atrocities which I posted and you attacked me for not posting, so pretty much you're a moron and I'm done trying to convince you that Bush isn't 100% responsible for CIA failures. Have fun yelling at straw liberals in your head, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chard posted:

impeach fried chicken

That's racist.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

That's racist.

trap sprung libtard :smug:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes, the changes to the intelligence community to correct that all came post 9/11. Prior to that policy and countervailing mandates resulted in low communication.

Part of it had to do with the fact that the FBI was a law enforcement agency and the CIA was an intelligence agency with different legal ramifications on how intelligence was classified and shared IIRC.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Nah, you're giving Carter too much credit.

You don't even know man, like Habitat for Humanity is a massive front of Carter's dastardly schemes!!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

This is what happens when threads get overcooked.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Boon posted:

Part of it had to do with the fact that the FBI was a law enforcement agency and the CIA was an intelligence agency with different legal ramifications on how intelligence was classified and shared IIRC.

Yup, the 9/11 Commission goes into huge depth over the intelligence community during the years prior to 9/11 which states again and again that the CIA, FBI and NSA had problems communicating with each other which meant the dots could not be connected. It's the backbone of the report and to say "Bush ignored that one memo from August 2001!" (which the 9/11 Commission did cite in its findings) is ignoring the rest of the text. There was a big problem with American intelligence and I'm one of the biggest Bush critics around but even then blaming Bush (or even Clinton) for all of it is just wrong.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Y'all can go kiss old Jimmy's rear end.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I would like to humbly suggest, for the August thread, zoux's quote from some time back, "these motherfuckers need to remember we live in a society" thank you and god bless these united states.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In another thread I expressed reservations over a person being convicted on the testimony of a single person and was called a pedophile for two pages and that was STILL a better derail than this bullshit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It seems Fox News, Breitbart, The Blaze have set their angle on immigrants not only being an economic menace but now a carrier of every virus and pest that exists. Is it being too optimistic in hoping that the actions from these people and the draconian immigration bill they tried to pass will backfire on them when it comes to not only the hispanic voting block but blocks from people who are disgusted by this behavior?

There was probably similar fearmongering during the plague. Of course, that actually was a serious pandemic.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

People were terrified by the date 2012.

Just remind people about that and tell them to shut the gently caress up about being scared of "X".

We all ready have a pandemic, its called diabetes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spunkshui posted:

People were terrified by the date 2012.

Just remind people about that and tell them to shut the gently caress up about being scared of "X".

We all ready have a pandemic, its called diabetes.

That's a little different from an infectious disease pandemic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's August 5th and I'm posting in the July thread. July USPOL thread: least productive thread ever. I fondly remember the January USPOL thread. Now there was a thread that could get posts done.

I can use more than 10% of my posts.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Phone posting and don't have it on me, so can't do a full write up, but The Dark Side by Jane Mayer does a really good job outlining how the cia/fbi/administration hosed up stopping 9/11. There is no guarantee they could have stopped it, but there were some pretty bad blunders made.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Someone bring back Amergin.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We thought Mo Brooks could only talk about the race war for one day, but there's evidence of a miracle happening here because his fires of racism are now burning for three crazy days.

quote:

In fact, Brooks added, “if you look at current federal law, there is only one skin color that you can lawfully discriminate against. That’s Caucasians — whites.”

Brooks said he stands by his language accusing Democrats of a ‘war on whites’ because “I want Democrats held accountable . . . if Americans want a political party that regularly stokes unfounded racial fears, well then vote Democrat.”

Dude's just tellin' it like it is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
RaHoWa is here

What a pile of crazy

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

We thought Mo Brooks could only talk about the race war for one day, but there's evidence of a miracle happening here because his fires of racism are now burning for three crazy days.

I'm just waiting until some Republican pulls out phrenology charts and goes: "Now, you see, the reason why blacks are on welfare is because..."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dante Logos posted:

I'm just waiting until some Republican pulls out phrenology charts and goes: "Now, you see, the reason why blacks are on welfare is because..."

Eh once he steps over the fine line of "just asking questions" and "the exhaustive list of things that are racism (eg the phrase 'Jim Crow,' minstrel shows, phrenology, the n-word)" they'll just drop him as quickly as they did Cliven Bundy. As everyone knows, invoking any of those words makes you A Real Racist. Hence why Democrats are the Real Racists by drawing equivalence between the two categories.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 6, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Someone bring back Amergin.

Where the hell did he get off to, anyway?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Where the hell did he get off to, anyway?

The Romney Presidency, god rest his soul.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Isn't the current thread title one he (or someone else) suggested for the August thread?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ofaloaf posted:

I get to see my name on the ballot in tomorrow's elections, so there's hope yet!

I ran as a write in against Ander Crenshaw in 2004 on the platform of "no candidate should run unopposed" and got like 50 votes, near as I can tell. Far as I know, officially, my name is "Other". At least you got your name on the ballot.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So is Rick Perlstein's work good? I heard him on NPR today talking and his new book. Apparently conservatives didn't have an issue with his books on Goldwater and Nixon but they're apparently not happy about his new book, The Invisible Bridge. Guess who it's about?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/books/2014/08/rick_perlstein_s_book_on_reagan_the_invisible_bridge_reviewed.html

quote:

The Invisible Bridge is bursting with these kinds of details. Perlstein seems to have inhaled every piece of news and pop culture from the period he’s covering. He finds reporters having to explain to their readers what “pro-life” means, the director of the CIA calling a reporter a “killer” (live on camera), and an Illinois legislator warring with the Equal Rights Amendment because “in Colorado, where they have ERA, men want to marry horses.”

:stare:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

edit: nvm

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 6, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't the current thread title one he (or someone else) suggested for the August thread?
Yes. We jumped the gun on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So is Rick Perlstein's work good?

Yes, very.

quote:

Apparently conservatives didn't have an issue with his books on Goldwater and Nixon but now they're pissed off about The Invisible Bridge.

Insulting Reagan is the Republican equivalent of a Mohammad cartoon.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Great, I know where I'm going to use this audible credit now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
His new book is probably pretty good, but his Goldwater book is basically the best.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm going to start with the new one only because Reagan is more significant to me but I'll definitely check out the other two.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So is Rick Perlstein's work good? I heard him on NPR today talking and his new book.

TPM has a decent excerpt.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So is Rick Perlstein's work good? I heard him on NPR today talking about Reagan and his new book. Apparently conservatives didn't have an issue with his books on Goldwater and Nixon but now they're pissed off about The Invisible Bridge.

I only read Nixonland but its pretty amazing. Basically anyone who loves this thread would love it, since it taps into just how crazy the American body politics became in the 60s. Quotes from Silent Majority types read like proto version of the Freep thread for obvious reasons, and its interesting to read how Nixon basically invented half the tricks Republicans use, but was way better at it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chard posted:

impeach fried chicken

Thread title right here.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Joementum posted:

Oh my god, yes, more :flashfap:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sue Fried Chicken for choosing thread titles without properly consulting us.

One day later: we can't decide on a thread title, but the real scandal is Fried Chicken's inability to lead and pick one himself.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

Sue Fried Chicken for choosing thread titles without properly consulting us.

One day later: we can't decide on a thread title, but the real scandal is Fried Chicken's inability to lead and pick one himself.

Two days later: A goon goes up to Fried Chicken to ask him why he picked a thread title without consulting us and he runs away.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Before the Storm and Nixonland are easily two of the best nonfiction books I've ever read.

I have Nixon Agonistes waiting for me when I go on vacation too :cool:

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Justin Godscock posted:

Yup, the 9/11 Commission goes into huge depth over the intelligence community during the years prior to 9/11 which states again and again that the CIA, FBI and NSA had problems communicating with each other which meant the dots could not be connected. It's the backbone of the report and to say "Bush ignored that one memo from August 2001!" (which the 9/11 Commission did cite in its findings) is ignoring the rest of the text. There was a big problem with American intelligence and I'm one of the biggest Bush critics around but even then blaming Bush (or even Clinton) for all of it is just wrong.

Were there issues with the way intelligence was shared and gathered? Yes. Could 9/11 have been prevented? Probably not. Could the Bush Administration have ordered a more focused investigation? Yeah. Yeah they could have.

The facts are clear that the Bush Administration removed the focus from
terror groups and ignored gathering evidence of an attack.

Leaning too hard on intelligence failures feels of "No one could have seems this coming" when people could have and did. It's the same excuse people give the Bush Administration for not anticipating the Iraqi insurgency.

At the end of the day, it was a failure of leadership to use their given resources. That's where the buck stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
edit: didn't actually contribute to the conversation.

• Locked thread