Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Get Mario maker when it comes out and make your smb4 a reality

i legit am not sure the world could handle my garish purple nightmare.
it serves as a reminder of a simpler time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Oil Can Boyd posted:

the best zelda is darksiders one

Its actually legacy of kain: blood omen

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dongslayer. posted:

alundra was also a good zelda

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dongslayer. posted:

i played that and it was mega fun. maybe i'll like zelda. just waiting on a controller to arrive for my pc and then i'll play like heck

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Play every gmae in chronological order, as determined by Canon

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I beat zelda 2 and zelda 1 but I haven't beaten a link to the past.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

I beat zelda 2 and zelda 1 but I haven't beaten a link to the past.
You have to use the Master Sword to reflect the Wizard's attacks.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Video Viddy Games posted:

i played that and it was mega fun. maybe i'll like zelda. just waiting on a controller to arrive for my pc and then i'll play like heck

someone mentioned earlier to play one, two and lttp and they were correct

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The first one was ground breaking stuff. It shines brightly when it peeks through limitations, both technical abs of the dev team.

The second wanted to not be too similar, so they introduced a whole bevy of new game mechanics. Problem is, for a simpleton like me, it's just too much going on without enough explaining it. Pretty much I need my hand held and they didn't have enough power on the nes to do it.

Lttp is pretty dang good at balancing
"Figure it out Moron" with "go here next moron" as well as having it be difficult enough to kill you a lot without you ever really feeling like a cheap kill (unless your iateyourpie apparently he was expecting to never die and beat the game in an hour and blamed the developers for anything that kept him from doing that)

Ocarina of time was "what if we remade lttp in 3d" but it suffered from there being no really good 3d adventure games to rip ideas from.

Majora is expansion pack oot wishes it was, people dislike it because as a kid they rented it once and couldn't do the first cycle in time.

Wind waker was "what if we remade oot but with a boat instead of a horse"

Twilight princess was "what if we let
My chemical romance remake oot"

Skyward sword was "what if we stopped trying to remake oot. In fact let's stop trying at all and just see what happens at the end of our dev cycle"

Pretty much just play lttp and mm

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Ok here's my reviews of the rest of the games

Cd I : link muh boi

La: comes complete with "it was all dream" copout(I've never played this one but it looks pretty good)

Ladx: hey look there's color now

Ooa/oos: one is all about puzzles and one is all about fighty bits aka choose your own Zelda aka badass

Minish cap: "we ran out of gimmicks" (I really like this one too the rolling feels really good and the dungeon design is spot on)

Spirit tracks: let's remake wind waker but with trains instead of boats

Phantom hour glass: let's try again but drop the train thing

(I'm sure I got the order those came out wrong)

Links crossbow training: closest to call of duty, obviously the best

Four sword adventure: really cool 2d Zelda that replaces exploration with essentially dungeon after dungeon. I like it because it's got great fan service to classic bosses everywhere.

Lttp four sword: I only found out last week that the multiplayer is its own game and not just lttp with friends.

A link between worlds: haven't played but people I trust like it so it probably at least has good music.

Did I forget any?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

god shut up

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

FactsAreUseless posted:

You have to use the Master Sword to reflect the Wizard's attacks.

I stopped playing because I got bored.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fronz posted:

Play every gmae in chronological order, as determined by Canon

Seeing as how you're the only person in the world to have never played a Zelda game, you need to do this to test the time line

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Minish Cap is real good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Minish Cap is real good.

An unpopular opinion, but I agree

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Seeing as how you're the only person in the world to have never played a Zelda game, you need to do this to test the time line

you got me confused with some other guy buddy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

fronz posted:

you got me confused with some other guy buddy

I was quoting your post, but I was indeed referring to the OP, apologies.

Edit, he's not the op, the ghost avatar guy

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The first three games are pretty good. I tried Link's Awakening a few times; every time after getting the shield I remembered I had to assign it to a button and actively use it to block anything, thought "what the gently caress is up with this poo poo?" and put the game down. It wasn't such a big deal on the 3d games I played, because the controller had enough buttons to make it unobtrusive.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The secret to the gameboy Zelda's is you only need to use the feather and the sword.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Cyra posted:

I had died over 300 times before beating Link to the past. I told the Game Center cx kacho guy this as he was signing my cartridge and he laughed

Zelda 2 is bullshit and that's all it is

that's awesome :allears:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

The secret to the gameboy Zelda's is you only need to use the feather and the sword.

idek if youre not hopping constantly. unfortunately its less cool when you get the cape imo.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
zelda 2 has good tiles. also i like the part where you walk out into the ocean with the boots and it switches to sidescroller view and you're walking on water still. a less good game would definitely have had an island there

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
was there a good zelda game post-gcn post-gba

Dec 26, 2012

fronz posted:

was there a good zelda game post-gcn post-gba

the 3ds one owns

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

quakster posted:

alundra was also a good zelda

this game sad

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

the only zelda I ever bothered finishing was twilight princess therefore it is the best welp thats my story

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
thats the only zelda i started but didnt beat cuz it was too boring

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Such Thing posted:

this game sad
can't save 'em all

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
link's awakening is legit good but the game does a pretty piss-poor job of pointing you where you need to go at times so if you play it blind you can expect to wander around aimlessly for quite some time

also a few forms of the final boss do kind of a piss poor job of communicating when you're hurting them so it's easy to spend like 20 minutes doing some poo poo that doesnt actually work

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Okami is the best 3d zelda

Also the longest, by far, which is its downfall

My favorite is LTTP. I never had a n64 so when OOT 3DS came out I bought it to see what I missed, and what I missed turned out to be 'a fat big lot of nothing'. They mostly used the jump to 3d to make the areas huge, empty zones with nothing interesting at all in them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ty for all the suggestions people. i think i will play them in release order. maybe even a letsplay seeing as i am the only person in the world to be a complete zelda newbie and i have got no idea what to expect other than dungeons and a giant bad pig

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

You should know that Zelda 1 is kinda non-linear. You can do the first 3 dungeons in any order. I think you can finish 6 and 8 without any other dungeons but it's gonna be balls hard.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
lttp is better than oot :cool:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Minish Cap is real good.

It's ok but it felt kind of small compared to the older Zelda games. Kind of a disappointment in comparison.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unguided posted:

It's ok but it felt kind of small compared to the older Zelda games. Kind of a disappointment in comparison.
Yeah, but it had the smoothest controls and best fighting of the 2-d games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Okami is the best 3d zelda

Also the longest, by far, which is its downfall

Yep. That intro alone is like half an hour.

Also Clover/Platinum have a bad habit of recycling boss fights and they do it a lot in Okami.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

Yep. That intro alone is like half an hour.

Also Clover/Platinum have a bad habit of recycling boss fights and they do it a lot in Okami.
If they ever re-released Okami with skippable cutscenes I'd be a lot more inclined to replay it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

If they ever re-released Okami with skippable cutscenes I'd be a lot more inclined to replay it.
well, if you play it on ng+ you can skip em, and the wii version let you do it from the beginning. okami hd, not so much

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Upscaling the Wii version in Dolphin might be attractive though, unless it has mandatory waggle. Can it be played with a Classic controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

You can't bottle faeries for an "extra life" in Adventure of Link. Now ask the question again OP.

• Locked thread