Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Anime Device posted:

You can't bottle faeries for an "extra life" in Adventure of Link. Now ask the question again OP.

umm you can't morph into a faerie in ALttP

next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

closeted republican posted:

lttp is better than oot :cool:

:eyepop:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

LaTex Fetish posted:

That's only because you can morph bubbles into faeries instead.

I'll also echo the sentiment that Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time. I've beaten it and while it isn't bad, it certainly is overrated a bit.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

next

You can have friendly bees attack your enemies :stare:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Anime Device posted:

You can't bottle faeries for an "extra life" in Adventure of Link. Now ask the question again OP.

i definitely felt that was a very broken game mechanic that made every fight trivial. i hoped that someone would've caught and removed it because of how horribly op it was, but no, it stayed in oot and ruined its balance as well

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Well, don't do it then! Just keep the empty bottles in your inventory for completion's sake.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Well, don't do it then! Just keep the empty bottles in your inventory for completion's sake.

its the idea that matters. im going to make a romhack that removes them completely and makes the dungeons much harder so that you'll wish you had your dumb op item with you when you get beaten by my well-made dungeons :smug:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i can never get that fourth bottle in oot. im too terrible at horseback archery

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you pause the game while filling the bottle and assign a different item to that C button it becomes an extra bottle (just don't do it to things like the Ocarina or the bow)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

McDowell posted:

If you pause the game while filling the bottle and assign a different item to that C button it becomes an extra bottle (just don't do it to things like the Ocarina or the bow)

part of the fun of oot are the glitches

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

OOT 3D's biggest gently caress up was not including a super secret way to get the triforce

unless it did...?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you hate alundra I call into question your gaming cred

Exhibit one: your gaping rectum(s)

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
i grew up playing the original every single day, and i still haven't beaten zelda 2. original, la, lttp, oot, mm, wind waker... never finished twilight princess, or skyward sword but tp was a lot more fun, skyward just felt lame and empty. then again so does oot 3d as someone else pointed out.

also link's awakening owns bones.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
my controller should arrive today. going to get home afdter work, make myself a cup of tea and boot up motherfucking legend of zelda for the nes.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
remember to name your save after the protagonist, zelda, so you don't accidentally get confused if you have to load your save later

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
any other tips? looking forward to taking zelda through an epic dungeon adventure.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Video Viddy Games posted:

any other tips? looking forward to taking zelda through an epic dungeon adventure.
the old men in dungeons are actually bad guys, and killing them with your sword is the right thing to do. they take quite a few hits, though, but it's worth it

be on the lookout for delicious pancake stacks, they refill zelda's health

pushing statues from below is the best way to find hidden secrets

quakster fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 7, 2014

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ty for your help.

totally jazzed for zelda adventuring.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
ghostboy u may not be aware but putting your name as zelda is hard mode, and therefore that is good advice, for you to take.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

windwaker and link's awakening are my favorite zeldas

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fronz posted:

ghostboy u may not be aware but putting your name as zelda is hard mode, and therefore that is good advice, for you to take.

i did not know this but i am up for a challenge so game on

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

how is the gba version of lttp worse than the SNES?

anyhow zelda 2 is complete rear end. it is hard as gently caress and not in a way that's fun. in later temples it becomes a standard that floating heads should come out and attack you constantly gently caress

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

anyhow zelda 2 is complete rear end. it is hard as gently caress and not in a way that's fun. in later temples it becomes a standard that floating heads should come out and attack you constantly gently caress

back in my day our moms bought us games and we played them and beat them. and then we beat them again because we didn't know when the next one was coming.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobnumerotres posted:

lol

kinda true, but lol all the same

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

back in my day our moms bought us games and we played them and beat them. and then we beat them again because we didn't know when the next one was coming.

my dad got me a game called last battle for genesis, I don't think I ever beat it but I sure as hell tried

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

link makes an irritating noise every time you swing the sword

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

link makes an irritating noise every time you swing the sword

i thought it was an odd addition but nothing that murdered my childhood

thank god for that left corner trick because dark link is brutal and buggy as hell

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
holy loving poo poo zelda 1 is tough as balls. i kept getting killed by everything.

it reminds me of binding of isaac when in the dungeons. gently caress those statues blowing out fireballs all the loving time i'm trying to kill skeletoins and weird looking dogs.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

LaTex Fetish posted:

beat the game better bomb every tile to be sure

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

holy loving poo poo zelda 1 is tough as balls. i kept getting killed by everything.

it reminds me of binding of isaac when in the dungeons. gently caress those statues blowing out fireballs all the loving time i'm trying to kill skeletoins and weird looking dogs.

jsyk this is why I suggested ALttP first. it is much much much easier than 1 or 2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

jsyk this is why I suggested ALttP first. it is much much much easier than 1 or 2.

but i need to do them chronologically. besdies i never played a zelda because ten year old me looked forward to getting it for my birthday for eight months. then when i did and it didn't work i was crushed and vowed never to play a zelda again

working out some personal demons with this thing

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

but i need to do them chronologically.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
holyshitballs

uhhhh....chronological release date then?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
there's no way that poo poo is official

and Zelda II is insanely harder than any other Zelda game because sidescrolling action games were always really clunky.

wait actually it's really easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNla206Qgg0

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

poo poo's gone all bttf2

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wand of Gamelon actually has some difficult parts but that's mainly due to the really lovely controls and just

shittiness

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

zen death robot posted:

lttp was the best one anyway

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

there's no way that poo poo is official

and Zelda II is insanely harder than any other Zelda game because sidescrolling action games were always really clunky.

wait actually it's really easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNla206Qgg0

bottom left looks like bullshit and I doubt they ever said anything about the random side games but mostly that's canon lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
VIDEO VIDDY GAMES LEGEND OF ZELDA TRIP REPORT:

loving hell this game is awesome. no wonder ten year old me was so cut up about having it in his hands but never being able to play it. just did dungeon one! loving got me a bit of the triforce and a cool little boomerang thing. time to gently caress up other bitches. i wish i knew where i was walking. i just sort of ambled around before i found a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fronz posted:

bottom left looks like bullshit and I doubt they ever said anything about the random side games but mostly that's canon lol

jesus, I always assumed that each cluster of Zelda games was just its own thing with similar names and motifs but not intended to be part of a continuity. Like OOT and MM are off on their own, Zelda I is off on its own, the Oracles are off on their own, etc. It's really stupid to try to create a perfect branching timeline of a million identical clonepeople doing similarish fetchquests for all of eternity.

• Locked thread