Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If you want to run some AOL software, go ahead, use Winamp.

aol software apparently owns hard, if winamp is anything to go by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I had to rebuild my pc twice in a few months a while back and for whatever reason they changed itunes to make it wipe my phone of all it's songs instead of just adding songs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
itunes is awful. it took me 10 mins to do something last time itried. i forget what it was. but it used to be there on the screen but apple moved it. i think it was something simple like syncing. gently caress apple. gently caress steve jobs. gently caress itunes. gently caress hipsters. aslkjfdl;asjdfk;ljasdjf;las

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Captain Matchbox posted:

I had to rebuild my pc twice in a few months a while back and for whatever reason they changed itunes to make it wipe my phone of all it's songs instead of just adding songs

From what I've heard, that's iTune's main feature bro.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
foobar2000 but im sure its really bad just like vlc is for some gay reason that nobody cares about

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

what even.. oh my christ :staredog:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Foobar2k in WASAPI mode bitstreaming through SPDIF.
(Shame if you don't use WASAPI, you might as wel be listening to 48 kbit XING encoded MP3's).

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
I've been using MusicBee, it's pretty solid.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I used to like Winamp until I discovered that having over 5000 songs or so will break the playlist generator (where you can choose to "play songs similar to"). At least iTunes' Genius Playist thing works, even if it's lovely and it just spits out a list of whatever artist you selected plus one or maybe two other artists in the same general category.

Is there any other alternative (not loving Spotify or Pandora) where I can pick a song and it'll give me some non-obvious choices from my library in a playlist? I don't want it to stream from the internet, I want it to be from my own library so I can play it while playing online games or whatever.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

limewire

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

King Vidiot posted:

I used to like Winamp until I discovered that having over 5000 songs or so will break the playlist generator (where you can choose to "play songs similar to"). At least iTunes' Genius Playist thing works, even if it's lovely and it just spits out a list of whatever artist you selected plus one or maybe two other artists in the same general category.

Is there any other alternative (not loving Spotify or Pandora) where I can pick a song and it'll give me some non-obvious choices from my library in a playlist? I don't want it to stream from the internet, I want it to be from my own library so I can play it while playing online games or whatever.

I like using last.fm for this, but if you haven't been 'scrobbling' it won't really give you anything. The API is relatively easy to understand, though, so it'd be easy to hack together a program that would say you've listened to everything in your library once - then you could use the playlist generation features, which are generally pretty good.

:spergin:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Just buy a CD player and the CDs you want and bypass this problem all together.
Also, some CD players have a radio built in so you can listen to music for free!!!!!!!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Just buy a CD player and the CDs you want and bypass this problem all together.
Also, some CD players have a radio built in so you can listen to music for free!!!!!!!

Not to mention you can get an album on CD for a fraction of the cost of the lossy compressed DRM bullshit iTunes sells.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I miss the good old days when you just popped whatever audio cd into the caddy of your pc cdrom drive and hit play on the drive itself, it had a volume control and skip button and everything :unsmith:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

lol if you have anything newer than winamp 2.8

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
^^winamp 5.?? with classic skin and no extra windows and i don't notice any difference

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

kode54 posted:

foobar2000 in windows, I'm such a sperglord that like half the components for it are mine.

Cog for my Hackintosh primary setup, because reasons, and I maintain the most recently updated fork, because I have to put my taint on everything.

Your SSL cert is messed up, nerdling.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

ashgromnies posted:

Your SSL cert is messed up, nerdling.

It's the best I can do with Google hosting. I uploaded a proper certificate chain composed of my latest certificate, and the latest versions of StartSSL's CA certificates, and yet some probing still somehow finds that Google is emitting a CA certificate from 7 years ago. I'd be interested in finding a better way of handling this, besides switching hosts.

EDIT: Welp, looks like Google App Engine doesn't support chaining multiple certificates. Lovely. Known issue since 2012.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 4, 2014

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

foo_scrobblecharts does it apparently.
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=53695

Oh and your post reminded of the reason why I ditched Winamp in the first place. So thank you.

kode54 posted:

foobar2000 in windows, I'm such a sperglord that like half the components for it are mine.

Thank you for foo_gep and foo_osd. They are both incredibly helpful and cool components :)

Rynex fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 5, 2014

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
VLC has a double-pass flat EQ that makes music sound really warm, like vinyl.

I have no idea how it works because the EQ is left flat, but I discovered it by accident and has a very noticeable impact over no-EQ, though halves the volume output.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
More like foolbar

No but for real if you have a bandpass filter in a normal listening path you clearly have no idea what the gently caress and might as well use iTunes

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
winamp really needs its music identifier and organizer cloud Gracenote thing working again

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

itunes is awful. it took me 10 mins to do something last time itried. i forget what it was. but it used to be there on the screen but apple moved it. i think it was something simple like syncing. gently caress apple. gently caress steve jobs. gently caress itunes. gently caress hipsters. aslkjfdl;asjdfk;ljasdjf;las

agreed 100%

Korranus posted:

lol if you have anything newer than winamp 2.8

latest winamp is fine dude. and you can turn off all the features you dont want. the latest winamp installer is a loving marvel of customization. i can totally understand around 2006 using an old version of winamp cause at that period it WAS a resource hog. however the year is 2014, i have 16gb of ram. plus the library system is enormously useful and well designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Uniscott posted:

I've been using MusicBee, it's pretty solid.

yeah this is what i use

• Locked thread