Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bernie Sanders / Henry Rollins 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Bernie Sanders / Henry Rollins 2016

If this happens the official VP song needs to be rise above. Comedy answer would be police story.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Still waiting for my dream of a Jill Stein VP & Al Franken Prez ticket. How could anyone not vote Franken/Stein 2016? :allears: The ads write themselves. Franken/Stein - Bringing the America Dream back to life. The campaign imagery would be wondrous.

Would that we lived in the best of all possible realities rather than this one. :sweatdrop:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Best of all possible realities? Sorry, my vote goes to a Krugman/Chomsky 'Social Democrat Party' dream ticket :3:

gently caress the two party system.

Too bad I can't vote since I'm Canadian.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 6, 2014

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Ronald Reagan existed, hence Obama cannot be the worst president since WW2.

and George W Bush

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait what's wrong with light rail? What's wrong with a 300 mile rail trip? That's only a little longer than the NY /Boston Amtrak route and I do that all the time. Jesus people 's expectations in this country are warped.

If nothing else I'd much rather someone else do the driving. I love public transit even before we get into the economics and logistics.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Light rail means "not freight" aka humans which necessarily includes high-speed service. The particular route you're referring to has had high-speed proposals written for it for some time now.

I think Light-Rail has a different meaning depending on where you're living. In Phoenix, Light rail refers to this kind of tram:

I'm all for a high-speed passenger line between the two metro areas, that'd be smart.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think Light-Rail has a different meaning depending on where you're living. In Phoenix, Light rail refers to this kind of tram:

I'm all for a high-speed passenger line between the two metro areas, that'd be smart.

They built that right outside my apartment complex when I was in university! :toot:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FADEtoBLACK posted:

So is the next pres honestly still in the air or is it just going to be Hillary?

She's not going to able to shake the right's plastering of Benghazi all over her.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Does mentioning Benghazi actually accomplish anything other than giving old white men hate boners? I thought they went to the well to many times with that on Obama and people had got tired of hearing about it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

The real compromise would've been if he'd immediately stepped down and apologized for being so uppity as to win the election as a Democrat and then shuffled back off to Chicago, at which point the RNC appoints the new president and the rightful rulership of the nation is restored.

Really I think the race thing makes for a unique depth of nastiness but I remember how they treated Clinton, who was a white southerner. The problem is that a Democrat had the temerity to win the election. Maybe if Obama was a white they'd be slightly less obstructionist, have slightly less heat behind them? But I doubt it. Or I doubt it'd make a difference save at the margins.

A white dude wouldn't have made much difference to the right wing media or the politicians. However the fact that Obama's black is probably the main fuel of the crazy fire that is consuming the base. I remember that the Republican base hated Clinton, but not with the zeal that they currently hate Obama. Clinton was a slimy crook, Obama is a traitorous sleeper agent come to destroy America.

Talk Radio and the rest of the media apparatus were then driven further into crazy town because their audience was freaking out. Usually it's the media apparatus that has to churn up the anger, but they found their audience already at full boil. As a result the politicians were driven further into crazy town by both their media and their base. Once the RINO hunts started we were already in a positive feedback loop.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be fair, there's a crazy portion on the left too. I read a Facebook post by a congresswoman in my state about the I-11 project to build an interstate between Phoenix and Vegas.

There were quite a few posts demanding light rail instead. Can you imagine a 300 mile long tram ride? I'm guessing the same kind of person would like us to convert our nuclear submarines to solar power.

The only crazy I see here is the idea of spending millions/billions to like two such monuments to man's arrogance.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cabbit posted:

Does mentioning Benghazi actually accomplish anything other than giving old white men hate boners? I thought they went to the well to many times with that on Obama and people had got tired of hearing about it.

You know what I don't think it even matters. To the average person, the thing they think of when Clinton is mentioned is going to be Benghazi. And then she has to explain it. By that point, it's already too late.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

They might ask her about Vince Foster next :ohdear:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

And about throwing lamps at Bill! :stare:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Actually it's hilarious how Hillary Clinton gave up her position as the lightning rod of the right immediately after Obama became president. It's almost as if everybody forgot the 90's after they had a black man to hate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be fair, there's a crazy portion on the left too. I read a Facebook post by a congresswoman in my state about the I-11 project to build an interstate between Phoenix and Vegas.

There were quite a few posts demanding light rail instead. Can you imagine a 300 mile long tram ride? I'm guessing the same kind of person would like us to convert our nuclear submarines to solar power.

Rails are superior to highways for a ton of reasons and the US needs to get over its car boner hth

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

A Winner is Jew posted:

If this happens the official VP song needs to be rise above. Comedy answer would be police story.

Parallel universe with infinite boners

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Helpimscared posted:

and George W Bush
New poll unanimously declares Mr. Obama worst president since Bush, pack it in liberals :smug:

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Urdnot Fire posted:

New poll unanimously declares Mr. Obama worst president since Bush, pack it in liberals :smug:

Source? found it.

But who was polled? The south? or the whole country?

Helpimscared fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 6, 2014

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Cabbit posted:

People have certainly been fatigued by it, but that was only their first attempt to tar her with it. Some of the tactics used are instructive for where it'll be headed when it truly reappears.

Tactic 1: Repeat story frequently enough that more credible news sources will have to pick up on it (see: ACORN. There's wonderful stories about the NYT and other outlets sitting on the stories because it looked like a wisp of smoke was being presented as a forest fire. Turns out there wasn't even smoke).

Tactic 2: Begin presenting extremely implausible counterfactuals to actual action taken that seem credible at first blush (airlifting the only security forces in the country out of the actual embassy to a city featuring mortar attacks and roadblocks)

Tactic 3: Use respectable-seeming sources within credible news organizations to push this narrative-usually involving an entertaining, compelling and easily digested story (60 Minutes)

Tactic 4: Issue quiet retraction when story winds up being complete horseshit, don't take responsibility for complete journalistic failings.

September 2016 will be 15 years past 9/11, far enough away from it that Fox won't be pilloried by their loyal viewers for ignoring that anniversary so they can do a "retrospective" on Benghazi featuring a ton of "Some claim" statements- "Some claim these casualties could have been prevented if decisive action had been taken", "some claim that the administration withheld the truth for political gain", "some claim that Hillary covered up what actually happened so she could run this year, thus preventing the families from ever getting closure", "some claim that obfuscation and obstruction are the reasons that the dozens of meetings to investigate this by the Honorable Darrell Issa and House Republicans ended without ever bringing anyone to justice for these failures", etc.

Combining that 2 hour special with a broad series of Swiftboat-esque ads will create a huge headache for Hillary, and with the time elapsed it'll be more difficult to find people willing to speak on or off record about what actually occurred that day, since it'll mean defending just Hillary as opposed to their coworkers/supervisors/friends at State alongside her.

Gyges posted:

I remember that the Republican base hated Clinton, but not with the zeal that they currently hate Obama. Clinton was a slimy crook, Obama is a traitorous sleeper agent come to destroy America.

Talk to me when we get congressmen destroying watermelons in their back yard to prove that Barack and Michelle murdered a political rival. This is the other side of the availability heuristic-people tend to forget how badly hated the Clintons actually were... and that's people on both sides of the aisle forgetting. Your crazier elements of the base that we tend to connect most tightly with racial animus towards Obama (especially militia movements) are still practically asleep compared to how they were when Clinton was in charge.

That's not to say Obama isn't hated, that there isn't some racial animus there (I think D&D tends to impart it on a wider scale than it actually is, but it certainly is a major factor in internal GOP politics, which is a factor dragging everything further to the right and preventing cooperation/exacerbating brinksmanship) or that there isn't time for him to catch up with Bill as far as being despised-but through six years the zeal simply isn't there compared to Clinton.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
New poll declares Obama the most born in Kenya president. Because polls decide things like that, right?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Helpimscared posted:

Source? found it.

But who was polled? The south? or the whole country?

I'm pretty sure any group you poll is going to tell you Obama is the worst president since (George W.) Bush.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ankle-biter posted:

PHOTOS: Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Did nobody else catch this in the OP?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did nobody else catch this in the OP?

It's a copy and paste from The Moonie Times, what do you expect?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

29% of Americans hate Obama so much that they either lose track of reality or lie on polls in order to make him look bad.

These people don't give a gently caress whether or not he's good at his job, they just hate him.

Red state voters in a nutshell. As hysterical as puritans hunting for witches.

In a way it isn't their fault - those regions are drowning in right wing extremist propaganda.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh my god that slideshow, the first one is Obama bumping his head entering Air Force one while waving and it just gets better from there.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Arkane posted:

NSA? Economy? Right track/wrong track? Inability to pass legislation? Foreign policy?

Nope, nah, TRY AGAIN, haha nope, NO YOU IDIOT

Listen, it's the racism. Definitely the racism. Country is a hotbed of racism. My source is the 100,000 posts on D&D where we have concluded this can be the only cause. Now stop interrupting.

The inability to pass legislation is all on Congress. Sorry you're not aware of the process a bill takes to become law.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh my god that slideshow, the first one is Obama bumping his head entering Air Force one while waving and it just gets better from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no0e-mkhhbs

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vladimir Putin posted:

You know what I don't think it even matters. To the average person, the thing they think of when Clinton is mentioned is going to be Benghazi. And then she has to explain it. By that point, it's already too late.

I don't know about that. As of late Benghazi has been tied solely to Obama, I haven't heard Clinton mentioned in ages.

This is of course ignoring the fact that Benghazi is not actually a scandal outside of the Right wing media bubble.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

I have no love at all for Democratic Mitt Romney, but Benghazi is a non-factor at this point.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

She's not going to able to shake the right's plastering of Benghazi all over her.

Oh no, now Republicans might not vote for her.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I'd vote for Hillary just for the Supreme Court judges. The next president will probably replace RBG and at least one of Scalia/Kennedy, possibly both. Hillary isn't really my favorite politician but she will appoint people better than any republican would.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I unironically want her to appoint Obama to the Supreme Court if she wins. The rage and the tears from Freep would be worth it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

I unironically want her to appoint Obama to the Supreme Court if she wins. The rage and the tears from Freep would be worth it.

I'm pretty sure they have to be vetted and approved by Congress, right?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Considering that 2016 is slated to be a very good year for congressional Democrats (all those Tea Party nutbars have to defend their seats), we could theoretically get the perfect storm.

And Obama can hardly be disqualified on the basis of "is he qualified"--the man will have served 8 years as President of the United States. The move isn't without precedent, either.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I thought they just had to be approved by a (now) simple majority in the Senate; I remember hearing Republicans howling about Kagan in 2010, but she's still on.

Even if the GOP got the senate this November, they'd probably lose it again in 2016.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 6, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Who What Now posted:

Yes but it's unlikely Obama wouldn't be approved.

Want to see McCain vote for him.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Who What Now posted:

Just the Senate.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Tram refers to urban light rail; streetcars and low-speed things like that. The "light" part refers to not carrying freight - freight or "heavy" rail is by far the most common type of line, so when people just say rail that's generally what they're referring to.

Kajeesus posted:

Rails are superior to highways for a ton of reasons and the US needs to get over its car boner hth

You'll be happy to know that there's been a push for a few years now to build out light rail in urban areas. Minneapolis, New Orleans, and the SF Bay Area are a few good examples that I've seen firsthand (I actually helped design some the New Orleans work last year for Phase Two of the streetcar expansion). The driving motivations behind this appear to be attempts to increase suburb and exurb property values, and improving tourism. It also helps that local funds for these projects are currently being supplemented by the Feds. Thanks Obama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Urdnot Fire posted:

September 12th, 2009 was a good day to celebrate the new president breaking the old record of "most days without a terrorist attack."

• Locked thread