Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I ran into an unfortunate bug that I thought I should inform yous about.

If you ever dock at Wither and go to the House of Questions, DO NOT exit by hitting the "Perhaps not" dialog action, it will cruelly select the lowest most option visible to you, which, depending on your resolution, will be a loss of 100 eurosheckles on a bribe or having your captain go all: HUMBUG, I'LL SPIT IN THE FACES OF YOUR FALSE GODZ and trash the place. Probably not the smartest thing to do.

Instead, exit by the (G) hotkey or the big red X in the top right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Coolguye posted:

That's, for better or for worse, part of the point. The entire reason the Admirality pays for port reports is because appropriate charts of the Unterzee are pretty rare, so it's not like they can just dispatch a fast mail pinnace with 2 zailors to get news.
The tomb colonies are part of London. So is Hunter's Keep. Surely you should be able to get some directions. You should be able to shill out a few echo to have some old codger give you vague and unhelpful directions that are more detailed (and colorful) than "sail north". The farther and more exotic, the more the directions should end up being unreliable salt tales like you get at the Shepherd Isles.

I can't complain too much about Fallen London's webgamey stuff since you get a full recharge every three hours or so. I just wish in general that webgames wouldn't construct barriers to being played in the first place.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there crossover stuff between the two games or is that only coming in the future?

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
There are some very slight crossover benefits already; you can get a quality in Fallen London that gives you a starting bonus of 3 Secrets in Sunless Sea, and if you own a Parabolan Panther or Kitten then they cross over to Sunless Sea as well. Apparently any further future benefits will only ever really let Fallen London affect Sunless Sea, rather than Sunless Sea affecting Fallen London.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The tomb colonies are part of London. So is Hunter's Keep.
Yep, but it's part of the precedent. You also get paid for the port report to the canal to the surface, and that's so important, so well known, and yet at the same time so colossally boring that the Admirality will still pay you for the report that it's still there, but you'd better believe they are only forking over like 5e for it.

Really the solution to this is just fixing the goddamn zee-bat. The zee-bat really only works like half the time, and even the half of the time it works, it often gives you bad directions, telling you your destination is 'some distance to the South' when it's really almost directly east from you. If the zee-bat gave you good directions every time, you could just start sailing the general direction and spam [Z] to help you correct your heading.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Has anybody made it to the bottom of the Shattered Citidel at Godfall? I made it to a door that took additional items to open past the candles, and I haven't bothered since.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
You can sometimes get the Ambiguous Eolith you need from the temple at the halfway point; you can get them from Mt Palmerston or occasionally from killing Angler Crabs and Bound Sharks if you don't. It's worth getting all the way to the end, though- You get a Captivating Treasure worth 1000 echoes, plus a bunch of skulls and 2 Secrets. And you get to exit for free, without having to retrace your steps.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I upgraded my engine and got an officer that gives me engine power, but the boat doesn't feel any faster - it just seems to use fuel faster. Is it just a really small difference in speed?

if i buy a bigger boat, am i going to want to kill myself with how fast it moves

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Coolguye posted:

Yep, but it's part of the precedent. You also get paid for the port report to the canal to the surface, and that's so important, so well known, and yet at the same time so colossally boring that the Admirality will still pay you for the report that it's still there, but you'd better believe they are only forking over like 5e for it.

Really the solution to this is just fixing the goddamn zee-bat. The zee-bat really only works like half the time, and even the half of the time it works, it often gives you bad directions, telling you your destination is 'some distance to the South' when it's really almost directly east from you. If the zee-bat gave you good directions every time, you could just start sailing the general direction and spam [Z] to help you correct your heading.

I'm reasonably certain the bat will fly in the direction of what (if anything) it discovers when you send it out, so there's that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Gonna go to the surface later, compadres.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way from Mutton Island to Godfall without zailing through the dark?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a way from Mutton Island to Godfall without zailing through the dark?

Nope, you're basically guaranteed to pick up about 3-5 terror on a Godfall run, but that's not too big a deal considering that you turn a 50e profit per 5 wine you move. It's eminently controllable with a little shore leave in London, though it is part of the equation that basically means you need to be moving at least 15 wine per Godfall run to be making any money at all.

Nastyman posted:

I'm reasonably certain the bat will fly in the direction of what (if anything) it discovers when you send it out, so there's that.

I don't think that's true, I've loosed it near the Demeaux's, approaching from the west, and the bat flew north, then told me it found it south.

When of course it was almost directly east of my position. The bat is an rear end in a top hat, is what I'm saying.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I remembered Fallen London being a browser game I actually enjoyed but I disliked the pay-to-play or do-two-things-a-day thing that inevitably starts happening, so I didn't hesitate getting this. I'm enjoying it, if a bit lost in what to do.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Verviticus posted:

I upgraded my engine and got an officer that gives me engine power, but the boat doesn't feel any faster - it just seems to use fuel faster. Is it just a really small difference in speed?

if i buy a bigger boat, am i going to want to kill myself with how fast it moves
It's broken. Those officers actually make engines perform worse.

hemophilia posted:

I remembered Fallen London being a browser game I actually enjoyed but I disliked the pay-to-play or do-two-things-a-day thing that inevitably starts happening, so I didn't hesitate getting this. I'm enjoying it, if a bit lost in what to do.
You fully recharge every three hours. A session is really limited, but you can check back in as often as you can remember/be bothered to.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This game is interesting, but I'm finding the early game to be far too slow. Slowly scraping together minimal rewards works in something like Fallen London, where you play a single character compounding over time, but in a game where you're expected to start from the beginning with each death it can make it really hard to get into the game. The game's in serious need of more early-game scenarios, specifically ones that yield interesting loot that can be put towards actual progress.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

are engines the same way? it isnt noticeably faster yet with the engine i upgraded to

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: Mistook Khan's Heart and Khan's Glory.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rocketlex posted:

This game is interesting, but I'm finding the early game to be far too slow. Slowly scraping together minimal rewards works in something like Fallen London, where you play a single character compounding over time, but in a game where you're expected to start from the beginning with each death it can make it really hard to get into the game. The game's in serious need of more early-game scenarios, specifically ones that yield interesting loot that can be put towards actual progress.

I feel ya. I pumped 7 hours so far into the game across 6 different characters/deaths. I'm happy enough with my purchase but it is going onto the steam shelf untill a balance/content update allows me to stop losing money trading.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Sail around, talk to people, explore the neath. You'll die a lot at first, but once you get a feel for things, it'll get smoother.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

Has anybody made it to the bottom of the Shattered Citidel at Godfall? I made it to a door that took additional items to open past the candles, and I haven't bothered since.

i wasn't allowed in because i don't have a 'key of histories' which seems to be an item that isn't in the game yet?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You sure? I noticed an improvement when I used HP engineer. I also found out you can stack engines, but does not boost your engine power to double

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been North to the Boreal Reach and East to the principles of Coral. Feels like I'm finally exploring the major part of the game, finding my groove. Everything I do is unbelievably tense, I'm constantly running out of money, food, fuel, terror, or a large combination of all of them. Learning more and more things though.

I really love all the flavor and little notes of horror here and there. Some really fantastic and dark poo poo in here. :stare:

Got my mirrors and iron up to like 85 and 60, and I'm kicking some royal rear end. Surprisingly I managed to kill wound some gigantic "nemesis" zee-monster, the glass mountain that swallows ships. Thing was pretty terrifying chasing me down.

Verviticus posted:

are engines the same way? it isnt noticeably faster yet with the engine i upgraded to

Engines and Engineers both, it doesn't matter. Engine Power + means you go faster and consume more fuel.

Your ship travels at like 500, 1000, 2000 thrust; when your engineer gives you +100 you're not going to double in speed, no.

If you want better fuel usage, the stat is fuel efficiency, not engine output. There is an engineer who adds efficiency, as well as engines.

Verviticus posted:

i wasn't allowed in because i don't have a 'key of histories' which seems to be an item that isn't in the game yet?

Yeah that's a flag for "Coming in a later build of the game"

Rocketlex posted:

Don't be afraid to break from hardcore mode and enable manual saves if you're having trouble, especially since it isn't finished and fully balanced yet.

Coolguye posted:

The reports are more than just "Its there, to the south", though. That's why on some docks you have to pay or give them an item in order to get the report, and I think getting some far east reports can even be dangerous. It represents knowledge and rumors of the area, not just charts. That's also what explains why they keep paying you to do report runs, even to the same places over and over. Over time different things happen, so there's different knowledge to be gained.

I just had a really fun event where I went to turn in a report, and instead of filing it as per usual, the guy calls in a superior and they burned my report right in front of me, before thanking me for my services. Wow. Stumbled onto some secrets, have I?

Also I've been playing almost exclusively without the zee-bat, not having any trouble at all.

Its supposed to be kinda like Oregon Trail. Pack up a ton of poo poo not sure what you're gonna run into, then just head out there and explore. You don't need directions if you just keep exploring the fog of war and building out your chart.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 8, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Here's a steam guide by Hieronymous Alloy:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280678264

There's a couple minor spoilers, but he does a good job of setting you up in the early game with some powerful stuff.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Got my mirrors and iron up to like 85 and 60, and I'm kicking some royal rear end. Surprisingly I managed to kill wound some gigantic "nemesis" zee-monster, the glass mountain that swallows ships. Thing was pretty terrifying chasing me down..

ive got my stats up to a ridiculous number at this point but im not entirely sure im doing more than i was before. the ranges on the random numbers are insane

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, I went through four poets (Pages, I think) before giving up and going for a war hero (Iron) and it has made a huge difference in difficulty. I can actually kill pirates now!

Has anyone been able to afford a new ship yet? When I finally made it up to 1000 echoes I got really excited and went to the shipyard, only to realise they're all upwards of 5000. :downs: Back to the grind, I suppose.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Verviticus posted:

ive got my stats up to a ridiculous number at this point but im not entirely sure im doing more than i was before. the ranges on the random numbers are insane

The difference between 25 and 50 mirrors is VERY noticeable, because the difference in average is enough to make you need only two flares to light up a pirate enough to shoot him, as opposed to three. Iron isn't as affected by 25-50 changes because damage is also affected by the type of attack (salvos, harpoons, torpedoes) and I also suspect it just matures more slowly because there are so many more things you can do to increase it. A good gun, which isn't even that terribly expensive, gives +20 iron, and you can have two of them! One on the fore, one on the deck!

I would definitely recommend the Poet start to anyone though, as Pages is practically impossible to raise and the later you raise it the worse it is. If you think being a poet is lame and awful, just make a poet, go get killed by a crab, save your Pages score, and then make something you actually enjoy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I've been playing almost exclusively without the zee-bat, not having any trouble at all.
The zee-bat is useless as hell so whether you use it or not the trouble you experience is about the same. :v:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mycelia posted:

Yeah, I went through four poets (Pages, I think) before giving up and going for a war hero (Iron) and it has made a huge difference in difficulty. I can actually kill pirates now!

Has anyone been able to afford a new ship yet? When I finally made it up to 1000 echoes I got really excited and went to the shipyard, only to realise they're all upwards of 5000. :downs: Back to the grind, I suppose.

in my mind, a new ship is something reserved for when the game is finished and travel isn't agonizing without getting heavier. I'm actually kind of interested to see how they'll deal with it, "this is way too loving slow" is like the #1 complaint i see about this game

Coolguye posted:

The zee-bat is useless as hell so whether you use it or not the trouble you experience is about the same. :v:

even if it worked it would be useless - its too easy to just look at the map and work out where the ports are mentally

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Can anyone tell me what's happening with Hell in this setting? I found some weapons "From London's failed invasion of Hell", which apparently went very badly. Why did they want to invade Hell at all and what happened? And apparently some of Hell's nobles got kicked out and live on a zee-isle now?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Can anyone tell me what's happening with Hell in this setting? I found some weapons "From London's failed invasion of Hell", which apparently went very badly. Why did they want to invade Hell at all and what happened? And apparently some of Hell's nobles got kicked out and live on a zee-isle now?

The OP runs a very good fallen london lore/mechanics blog, http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/ you should find an answer there. Also answers to questions I asked about eating things on Polythreme.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 9, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Thanks!
(Although your comma got included in your link so it doesn't work)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Thanks!
(Although your comma got included in your link so it doesn't work)

Arrr nutz, that's hard to see.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's a steam guide by Hieronymous Alloy:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280678264

There's a couple minor spoilers, but he does a good job of setting you up in the early game with some powerful stuff.

This is pretty good, but

Guide posted:

The Big-Boy Leagues: Combat

surely that should say The Big-Buoy Leagues :v:

..I'll show myself out

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So my game crashed last night while I was at port now I can't seem to do anything when I load my save? Can't press any buttons and the hot keys don't do anything. Effects both my auto save and my manual.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
There was an update about an hour ago that was released with a kind of massive bug which breaks all the buttons and basically makes the game unplayable. If you restart your Steam client then it'll fix itself

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poo poo, cheery man asked me to deliver a package and I'm all for it, but I wasn't ready at the time so I delayed. Now I can't remember for the life of me where he wanted me to go. :( All the admiral missions that ask you to go somewhere, leave a note in your journal that say "south east" or whatever, but for cherry man its just "deliver the goods". gently caress.

Welp, that's early access I guess :v: Is it always the same place? Can somebody tell me where you take his illegal souls?

mycelia posted:

The starting ship is pretty good, focus on upgrading it with the best weapons and engines available and getting a full officer crew before you worry about getting a new ship.

Darkrenown posted:

I really love this dark and unique setting, and I also love how they don't explicitly explain any of it to you, you have to go digging.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 9, 2014

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo, cheery man asked me to deliver a package and I'm all for it, but I wasn't ready at the time so I delayed. Now I can't remember for the life of me where he wanted me to go. :( All the admiral missions that ask you to go somewhere, leave a note in your journal that say "south east" or whatever, but for cherry man its just "deliver the goods". gently caress.

I think it said east. But I've tried to find that place like 5 times now, and never managed it. Last time I tried I got killed by a Khannate warship, and I'm pretty sure that's too far. I've also sailed into unfinished land attempting to find it.

While it makes sense that things are hard to find, and directions are bad, I find myself dreading the time when the map becomes randomized, and right now I'd really like a full map.

Then again, Cheery Man's own daughter hates him and is working against him, so.. maybe taking his bribes is a bad idea anyway.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
The Cheery Man's first package is always at Mt. Palmerston, which is to the Northeast (if you hit the Ragged Crow you've gone too far). After that he can send you basically anywhere, but I think you at least get a reminder note in your journal at that point. I'd put off delivering the Palmerston souls until you've uncovered a whole bunch of the map (and at least found the Khanate), because for any subsequent missions you're not given the leisure to dawdle around for as long as you like. Smuggling's a rough business.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Darkrenown posted:

From dicking around on Fallen London, Hell is basically the next country over. Hell has an embassy and many business interests in London. The residents of hell are basically people, but a little more magick-ey. If they scream, for example, the sound stays. Some of them have ethics, they have various opinions and styles, but on average they are maybe more inclined to do horrific things than normal. They trade for souls, but don't pay a very high price for them. In this setting, a soul is pretty easy to remove, and maybe even not that big of a deal to lose.

Devils will market 'buying your soul' as a remedy to common ailments, a solution for being bothered by strong lovely emotions, and a sensible, rationalistic lifestyle choice. Like, what does a soul 'do' for you, anyways? It just sort of floats around if you take it out. You know what else floats? Swamp gas and farts. Horrible emptiness is only loosely implied.

The Invasion of hell is never really spelled out, but it was probably just as politically motivated and conventionally failed as any other war ever. Exiles from hell aren't any more exotic, necessarily, than exiles from anywhere else.

Also if you didn't notice, people in the setting are almost immortal. Or, everyone is in some kind of victorian purgatory. Stabbings, stranglings, and that sort of thing are just painful setbacks. Murder is like a very rude prank. The 'tomb colonists' are just people who have been horribly maimed. With that in mind, being swallowed by a lifeberg or sinking into the bottomless(?) undersea is a more durably awful fate than it might look at first.

edit: The game itself is kinda rough right now. If you're on the fence, I'd check back in a few months.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 9, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is there any chance of a demo for this? It looks interesting but I don't know poo poo about the setting or enough of how it plays to know if it will be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

Is there any chance of a demo for this? It looks interesting but I don't know poo poo about the setting or enough of how it plays to know if it will be fun.

Most likely not. Watch an LP or something if you really want to know what it's like.

• Locked thread