Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StringOfLetters posted:

From dicking around on Fallen London, Hell is basically the next country over.

Also if you didn't notice, people in the setting are almost immortal. Or, everyone is in some kind of victorian purgatory. Stabbings, stranglings, and that sort of thing are just painful setbacks. Murder is like a very rude prank. The 'tomb colonists' are just people who have been horribly maimed. With that in mind, being swallowed by a lifeberg or sinking into the bottomless(?) undersea is a more durably awful fate than it might look at first.

Actually, the way it seems to work is that people can travel in and out of the 'neath using the canal, however once you've "died" you're stuck in the 'neath and you can't leave, the sun will kill you or whatever. This means that everybody is mostly already dead, and its one gigantic undead colony. Those who are still living can visit the dead, as hell and the neath are physically connected now, but they don't belong yet. Those who have died are stuck in the neath.

That lends some credibility to hell being a kind of actual hell, and I see the neath being somewhat like the river styx. In the greek underworld not everybody went to the same place, some got stuck in the river for centuries, right? Kinda like purgatory, only without the eventual redemption, just eternal purgatory. I think that's what being a zee-captain really is. :stare: (Especially if you take your reincarnation as part of the game) All of this is an intentionally mysterious mix of loose, surrealistic religion.

The "Masters" are some kind of lovecraftian old gods who operate outside of the rules of physics, and they decided earth needed some changing, and just kinda bridged hell and styx into earth, and now we are where we are.

Also check this out http://www.failbettergames.com/comic/

Davincie posted:

Is there any chance of a demo for this? It looks interesting but I don't know poo poo about the setting or enough of how it plays to know if it will be fun.

There could be a demo when it is released, but certainly not before then. Still in early access.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
I have the Parabolan Panther, so if anyone wants a Parabolan Kitten in FL/Sunless Sea, just hit me up at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MisterFuzzles

If I do her story choices when they come up in cards enough every week I get a litter of 5 kittens. I have 10 right now. They provide 2 Hearts in Sunless Sea as a mascot and in Fallen London are a 3 Persuasive, 1 Bizarre Companion.

Just make sure your FL account is linked to Sunless Sea and play with the cub in FL until it mentions you have a Metaquality. Then just Find New Stories in Sunless and presto.

Edit - Out of kittens at the moment and the current litter to come is all claimed.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?
Has anyone found a way to enable higher resolutions than 1080p? Not super happy about playing on 60% of my display.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

StringOfLetters posted:

From dicking around on Fallen London, Hell is basically the next country over. Hell has an embassy and many business interests in London. The residents of hell are basically people, but a little more magick-ey. If they scream, for example, the sound stays. Some of them have ethics, they have various opinions and styles, but on average they are maybe more inclined to do horrific things than normal. They trade for souls, but don't pay a very high price for them. In this setting, a soul is pretty easy to remove, and maybe even not that big of a deal to lose.

Devils will market 'buying your soul' as a remedy to common ailments, a solution for being bothered by strong lovely emotions, and a sensible, rationalistic lifestyle choice. Like, what does a soul 'do' for you, anyways? It just sort of floats around if you take it out. You know what else floats? Swamp gas and farts. Horrible emptiness is only loosely implied.

The Invasion of hell is never really spelled out, but it was probably just as politically motivated and conventionally failed as any other war ever. Exiles from hell aren't any more exotic, necessarily, than exiles from anywhere else.

Also if you didn't notice, people in the setting are almost immortal. Or, everyone is in some kind of victorian purgatory. Stabbings, stranglings, and that sort of thing are just painful setbacks. Murder is like a very rude prank. The 'tomb colonists' are just people who have been horribly maimed. With that in mind, being swallowed by a lifeberg or sinking into the bottomless(?) undersea is a more durably awful fate than it might look at first.

edit: The game itself is kinda rough right now. If you're on the fence, I'd check back in a few months.
Not stated: there was a revolution in Hell. The exiles you encounter are the overthrown aristocracy. I have no idea what this means, but it feels like Russia.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, the way it seems to work is that people can travel in and out of the 'neath using the canal, however once you've "died" you're stuck in the 'neath and you can't leave, the sun will kill you or whatever. This means that everybody is mostly already dead, and its one gigantic undead colony. Those who are still living can visit the dead, as hell and the neath are physically connected now, but they don't belong yet. Those who have died are stuck in the neath.

That lends some credibility to hell being a kind of actual hell, and I see the neath being somewhat like the river styx. In the greek underworld not everybody went to the same place, some got stuck in the river for centuries, right? Kinda like purgatory, only without the eventual redemption, just eternal purgatory. I think that's what being a zee-captain really is. :stare: (Especially if you take your reincarnation as part of the game) All of this is an intentionally mysterious mix of loose, surrealistic religion.

The "Masters" are some kind of lovecraftian old gods who operate outside of the rules of physics, and they decided earth needed some changing, and just kinda bridged hell and styx into earth, and now we are where we are.

the setting seems really cool but the writing itself is kind of horrible to read, which sucks, because it seems like they've put a lot of effort into crafting the world

also it hasn't really been made clear via the game that people are essentially immortal. people seem to die all the time

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Verviticus posted:

also it hasn't really been made clear via the game that people are essentially immortal. people seem to die all the time

I think most sane people avoid the seas for that reason. If you get in a train wreck, you might be able to put yourself back together. If your ship sinks, immortality isn't going to be a blessing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

People in the Neath are immortal-ish
"In a city where death can be temporary, lunatic murderers are not treated with especial respect. Jack-of-Smiles is still dangerous. If he slices you into proper collops, you're not coming back. But a throat-cutting spree is not very much worse than a wasp's nest. It must be vexing for him."

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think most sane people avoid the seas for that reason. If you get in a train wreck, you might be able to put yourself back together. If your ship sinks, immortality isn't going to be a blessing.

People who drown in the-river-formerly-known-as-the-Thames sometimes end up looking more or less like a waxy corpse and can't get the liquid gurgle out their lungs. So the 'drownies' get ostracised and stay in their own groups beneath the waters.

Apparently their singing is dreadful.

Edit: I accepted the Cheery Man's second commission, but bought a 1000 Echo engine instead of using it to buy the contraband. Now I'm afraid to go back to London. :ohdear:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

StringOfLetters posted:

I actually got the impression that the Zee around London is pretty shallow. Godfall, for example, seems to be half-submerged, must be resting on the bottom, and doesn't rise particularly high over the water. I assumed the areas with giant crabs were even shallower and that the crabs were walking on the zeefloor while you fight. Of course, I found an area called Void Approach, which hints at there being much deeper areas further out :ohdear:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Anticheese posted:

Edit: I accepted the Cheery Man's second commission, but bought a 1000 Echo engine instead of using it to buy the contraband. Now I'm afraid to go back to London. :ohdear:

Yeah, I did this too. I'm not sure if I got lucky or what, but he didn't come after me when I went back to London (after being too scared to turn the game on for about a day) so I had a chance to restock on fuel etc. and grind up in the north. So, uh ... good luck? Don't lose hope? You're probably not screwed.

On another note, I killed my first elder crab and found some, uh, interesting cargo. Speaking of immortality in the Neath, apparently if they stay in their coffins, tomb-colonists can survive being eaten by giant crabs! Good to know.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Starvation still works to murder a dude at least. Though starvation is a pretty god damned horrible way to die, so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coolguye posted:

Starvation still works to murder a dude at least. Though starvation is a pretty god damned horrible way to die, so.

Does anybody actually die from starvation? I think they die from the rest of the crew going mad with hunger and eating them

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

MisterFuzzles posted:

I have the Parabolan Panther, so if anyone wants a Parabolan Kitten in FL/Sunless Sea, just hit me up at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MisterFuzzles

If I do her story choices when they come up in cards enough every week I get a litter of 5 kittens. I have 10 right now. They provide 2 Hearts in Sunless Sea as a mascot and in Fallen London are a 3 Persuasive, 1 Bizarre Companion.

Just make sure your FL account is linked to Sunless Sea and play with the cub in FL until it mentions you have a Metaquality. Then just Find New Stories in Sunless and presto.

I'm going to take you up on this, I'm Scabrous in Fallen London and I'd like one of your kittens. I've added you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MisterFuzzles posted:

:3: Coming back to FL for this once I've got my main machine sorted. That's adorable.

Verviticus posted:

the setting seems really cool but the writing itself is kind of horrible to read, which sucks, because it seems like they've put a lot of effort into crafting the world

It doesn't help that A) the original game is presented as semi-randomized, fragmentary 'storylets', and B) there are big portions of the lore that they haven't released into the wild, or only do so as part of special events. For example, if you had the time and special resources during the last winter event, they'd more or less spell out what's actually up with the Masters and the Bazaar, and if you made the right choices (again, based on certain other qualities you'd have picked up prior) you might have even got a glimpse of the mechanics behind why they call London the Fifth City.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For what it's worth, the Masters are not eldritch beings or immortal gods or creatures of vast power and majesty, they're just big capitalist space bats.

Like money is called echoes literally because they like the word "echo" because they're big bats.

As for Hell, the thing about the Neath is that once you leave the sun behind, things start to get a little less "real." Metaphysically so.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do we have a Fallen London thread? I played a long time ago and I guess my account got deleted.

I barely remember how to do anything so it's all new again.
Feel free to send me poo poo at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Nathaniel~Arbitrary

MisterFuzzles posted:

And this, I would really love a Kitten.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MisterFuzzles posted:

This is really cool, thanks! :)

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do we have a Fallen London thread? I played a long time ago and I guess my account got deleted.

We do, but it's not very active.

MisterFuzzles posted:

Sent you a calling card. Thanks!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
I am in love with farming bats and using their furry bodies to fuel my engines. Surely, nothing could go wrong here.

MisterFuzzles posted:

We sent you a calling card.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

DNA Cowboys posted:

I am in love with farming bats and using their furry bodies to fuel my engines. Surely, nothing could go wrong here.

We sent you a calling card.

And that is my last kitten for now! (once I get an Action to be able to send it.) Hope you all enjoy your new furry companions. My Time, The Healer occurs on Wednesdays so I should have another litter next week.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

MisterFuzzles posted:

Sent you a letter. I'd appreciate one whenever you get the chance.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

MisterFuzzles posted:

And that is my last kitten for now! (once I get an Action to be able to send it.) Hope you all enjoy your new furry companions. My Time, The Healer occurs on Wednesdays so I should have another litter next week.

Thank you! You are a gentleman and a scholar. My kitten and I will keep a weather eye open for loose rats.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

Sent you a letter. I'd appreciate one whenever you get the chance.

Sir Pantsalot? You have had a kitten pending since you sent the letter. I can cancel and try resending if its messed up somehow.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

MisterFuzzles posted:

Sir Pantsalot? You have had a kitten pending since you sent the letter. I can cancel and try resending if its messed up somehow.

Sorry, I was dumb and didn't think to look for kittens in my messages box. Got it now. Thanks!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MisterFuzzles posted:

I think I sent you a letter, but I dunno. I'm Blue Raider there as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sesquiculus posted:

We do, but it's not very active.

Ha! My old character that got deleted is mentioned in the first post.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zaphod42 posted:

Does anybody actually die from starvation? I think they die from the rest of the crew going mad with hunger and eating them

One of the storylets you get while starving offers a binary choice of eating the remains of your dead crewmen or committing their remains to the zee in at least a marginally respectful manner.

So yes, dudes die.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Verviticus posted:

Yeah, I absolutely cannot stand the writing. Like they're attempting to use very different words and evasive descriptions so as to avoid becoming stale, I presume, but it just grates on my mind when I try to read it. I want to enjoy the setting and gameplay of both Fallen London and this but it is just such a jumbling mess to read.

Doubly frustrating in Fallen London in particular since I've no idea what I'm supposed to actually be doing or why I have 10 different collectibles in varying amounts in my inventory that I can't relate to, like whispered secrets, varying kinds of wine, amber? Without checking a wiki or trawling through every place you can visit and writing down this stuff myself, comparing their uses, I'd never know why I was carting all that crap around or if it was safe to sell.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

MisterFuzzles posted:

Also hit you up for a sweet cat. You are gentleman/scholar.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/bobo~the~red

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Says something about the writing considering in both this and Fallen London I barely read anything and just click on things based on the percentage of success or whatever, or the icon looks more interesting than the other icons.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Man, the writing is why I play these games, why I'm so excited for Sunless Sea.

Why even play Fallen London if you don't like the writing?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

pixelbaron posted:

Says something about the writing considering in both this and Fallen London I barely read anything and just click on things based on the percentage of success or whatever, or the icon looks more interesting than the other icons.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read. The writing is the best part of both of these games.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Varinn posted:

This is the craziest thing I've ever read. The writing is the best part of both of these games.

The style might not work for everyone. I don't think it'd be very interesting if you're not following all the stories though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the writing could be made a hell of a lot simpler and still be really good in a lot of places.

pixelbaron posted:

when they use plain english sentences like "clicking this option will make you jump up and down" its fine and then the next option is like "hmmmm. zome thingz are bezt left unknown??? but what iz th" and its like ok well this isnt helpful

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Varinn posted:

This is the craziest thing I've ever read. The writing is the best part the only part of both of these games.

Seriously what is there to like about Sunless Sea if you don't like the writing? I guess you think the ships look cool?

Fallen London is even worse. If you don't like the story of Fallen London why are you playing? Just go play cookie clicker instead, gently caress. :v:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the things they write about are interesting. the way they convey this is tiring and bad. the setting/plot/concepts are one thing which are independent from the exhausting style

going to an outpost where people incessantly pester you with questions only to have the guy you wrote the report for not even try to synopsize it because of his disdain for those people is funny. replacing sea and sailor with zea and zailor is irritating

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

The "What happens when you die?" sidebar just popped up for me in Fallen London so I'll quote it here:

quote:

Death in the Fifth City isn't necessarily the end. If you're stabbed or shot, someone may come along and sew you back together soon enough. If you're drowned, you'll wake with a hangover. If you die of old age or disease, or if you're hacked to pieces, it's a more serious matter. But in any case, once you die and return to life down here, you'll never be permitted to return to the surface...unless you're one of the few who find a way to immortality.

So apparently it's more like supernatural resilience than it is real immortality. I imagine starvation is in there with old age and disease.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's less that you're immortal or super resilient (you get HURT just as easy), it's more that Death takes his time and doesn't have as strong of a presence in the Neath, be it due to the absence of the Judgements or simple proximity to the Mountain/Garden

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

MisterFuzzles posted:

I'm not sure how to send messages around in this game, so if I could get dibs on one of these, that'd be great. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/heatwizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Heatwizard posted:

I'm not sure how to send messages around in this game, so if I could get dibs on one of these, that'd be great. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/heatwizard

It will be another week or so. The 5 of the next litter have already been claimed.

For some actual Sunless Sea content, a friend found a quest/island where they got a really cool companion. I will spoiler it for those who want to stumble across it themselves. It was a Cavy (Guinea Pig) with conquistador helmet. I unfortunately can't locate the picture at the moment.

• Locked thread