Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

generally speaking, if there's a lush verdant place that you like taking supplies from, maybe don't fill it with terrifying mushroom poets that are like Attack of the KIller Tomatoes but fungal eggplants

if you don't give a poo poo, then 'shroom away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Releasing blemmigans might be my favorite part of the game, there is so much great flavor text associated with it, and the little mushroom bastards have alot of personality. Releasing one in nuncio is one of the more :unsmith: things in the game.

You get a prize every 7 successfully propagated, but I don't think there is anything beyond that.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 20, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do not, if you value a fun place to hang out, put them ashore in the mangrove college. Bad things happen!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The Sunless Sea Wiki page for Docile Blemmigan has the full list of which locations work, which don't, and which have harmful effects. Very useful, as is the whole wiki. Someone must have written a .xml to wiki page parser because it covers nearly every event and their effects.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if I deliver the wrath to London do I get the Boke of Sharps. Googling brings really conflicting results as usual

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if I deliver the wrath to London do I get the Boke of Sharps. Googling brings really conflicting results as usual

No, it technically maxes out anarchist supremacy but doesn't trigger the related event. Getting on the zeppelin lets you get one of the other manuals, though. ("A Traveling Light" I think.)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've been cursed by Storm for the behaviour of my cruise ship passengers in the Chelonate. My insurance won't cover the cost of lifting the curse so I have to foot the bill myself.

The wiki suggests that the curse only causes bad weather and fog though, which seems rather...tame? How worried should I be?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I've been cursed by Storm for the behaviour of my cruise ship passengers in the Chelonate. My insurance won't cover the cost of lifting the curse so I have to foot the bill myself.

The wiki suggests that the curse only causes bad weather and fog though, which seems rather...tame? How worried should I be?

Reveilled posted:

bad weather

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Salt's curse is much worse it murders your family. Salt doesn't gently caress around when it comes to curses.

And Stone's curse does nothing, absolutely nothing. Stone isn't very good at curses.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Salt's curse is much worse it murders your family. Salt doesn't gently caress around when it comes to curses.

And Stone's curse does nothing, absolutely nothing. Stone isn't very good at curses.

Salt is also a dick because he curses you if you refuse to accept crew because your ship is full of crew. gently caress you, salt! Don't pretend you didn't know my ship couldn't take any more crew. That's entrapment!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I might reinstall this to check out the Pirate Poet stuff. Where's the patch the guy made that increases the speed of ships and reduces fuel and food taxes?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 234 days!

Coolguye posted:

i feel absolutely zero qualms about being the biggest dick ever in SS

gently caress the fathomking, gently caress mount nomad, gently caress the dawn machine, gently caress kingeater castle, gently caress the goddamn apes in the empire of hands, gently caress the iron republic, gently caress the uttershroom, gently caress mount palmerston, basically gently caress every single loser idiot jerkwad sentience in this entire underworld that is not londonite or blue-and-white. every last one of them are existential threats to civilization and i have zero problems with obliterating them for the greater prosperity of good, old fashioned humanity.

and yes i know that there's overlap between the dawn machine faction and london. the dawn machine gently caress off takes precedence. hey diplomat: gently caress you. stop driving the sun insane.

Pigmote Island is cool :3:

I love that you can name you kingdom "Bugger Off" though.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Snuffman posted:

Inconvenient Aunt goal reached.

:stare:
I wonder how she'll end up pissing off a Judgement.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Amuys posted:

I wonder how she'll end up pissing off a Judgement.

Or becoming romantically involved with one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Or becoming romantically involved with one.

Or just start up becom a Judgment. She will inconvenience her way to the top of the great chain of being.

Hodgepodge posted:

Pigmote Island is cool :3:

I love that you can name you kingdom "Bugger Off" though.

Pigmote island starts out a bit troubled what with ghettos and civil wars and all, but over time you really can help turn it into an adorable little fluffy Utopia :3:

Or you can completely destroy it leaving no survivors.

shortspecialbus posted:

Salt is also a dick because he curses you if you refuse to accept crew because your ship is full of crew. gently caress you, salt! Don't pretend you didn't know my ship couldn't take any more crew. That's entrapment!

Salt is the scariest God, Storm may be the angriest but Salt is just straight up unknowable and can/will disappear anyone on a whim.

Stone is the nicest, or at the very least the one least likely to murder you unless you go swimming in her blood.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Man, trying to get the house of pleasures to open in the Iron Republic sucks. Sitting in port waiting for Something Awaits You to pop, so I can have a (apparently small) chance of advancing the days towards the next shop, and then when time finally advances enough to open the last shop, I have to sit in port waiting for SAY, so I can have a chance of advancing the days, but even if the days advance, apparently there's a 70% chance to skip House of Pleasures! :argh:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Man, trying to get the house of pleasures to open in the Iron Republic sucks. Sitting in port waiting for Something Awaits You to pop, so I can have a (apparently small) chance of advancing the days towards the next shop, and then when time finally advances enough to open the last shop, I have to sit in port waiting for SAY, so I can have a chance of advancing the days, but even if the days advance, apparently there's a 70% chance to skip House of Pleasures! :argh:

Is there anything in particular you're trying to buy or sell there?

In most cases it's not gonna be worth the trouble you're going through rn

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

He's probably wanting to buy Dread Surmises. I'm in the same boat, as I need a couple for things like buying protection from the sun for Aestival from Grand Geode. They're 9 Searing Enigmas apiece though, and those aren't exactly growing on trees.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 22, 2017

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Turning fluke-cores into judgements eggs is my guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

and yes i know that there's overlap between the dawn machine faction and london. the dawn machine gently caress off takes precedence. hey diplomat: gently caress you. stop driving the sun insane.

They're not driving the sun insane.
They're making an artificial sun. Who is insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Lone Badger posted:

They're not driving the sun insane.
They're making an artificial sun. Who is insane.

Not making, made.

That Sun is their boss now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

He's probably wanting to buy Dread Surmises. I'm in the same boat, as I need a couple for things like buying protection from the sun for Aestival from Grand Geode. They're 9 Searing Enigmas apiece though, and those aren't exactly growing on trees.
they are if you look amongst the right trees :mrgw:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

vetinari100 posted:

Turning fluke-cores into judgements eggs is my guess.

Yup, that was exactly it. Got it eventually but man, what an ordeal.

I think I'm going to win with my third captain. Getting the frigate seems to be a real game-changer--before I was pretty much scraping by making meagre profits from each run into the zee, and in constant fear of being instamurdered by bad dudes, especially as the search for more money sent me further and further away from London. Then I bought the frigate, made back the entire cost of the frigate through surface trading in like two hours. My only issue was how much fuel the frigate's larger engines guzzled, but then I built the impeller engine, which basically turned my ship into an ultra-efficient speedboat and allowed me to do round trips zailing from London to the Empire of Hands and Irem on less than 15 fuel. Getting that engine felt liberating!

I think I still fear nomad (bad past experiences, naturally), but the zee holds terror for me no longer. Anything I can't outfight, I can outrun with ease. Now I just need to farm stories to write the Zong.

I love this game. as a kid I used to spend entire weeks playing Uncharted Waters 2 after school, and this scratches the exact same itch. If travelling to the surface had actually opened a new map to zail sail on I might have died of a nostalgia overdose.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not making, made.

That Sun is their boss now.

I'm really interested to see how Sunless Skies handles the Dawn Machine because there are very horrific implications if it gets loose in the High Wilderness.

EDIT: Explanation - the Dawn Machine maybe more powerful than the other Judgements and getting out into space might let it start altering the Laws in some truly horrific ways.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm really interested to see how Sunless Skies handles the Dawn Machine because there are very horrific implications if it gets loose in the High Wilderness.

EDIT: Explanation - the Dawn Machine maybe more powerful than the other Judgements and getting out into space might let it start altering the Laws in some truly horrific ways.

They have said the name Sunless Skies specifically refers to the fat that Judgments are being murdered . From what I understand about the settings cosmology, that shouldn't even be possible (though being impossible has never stopped something from happening in Sunless Sea). I would guess the Dawn Machine is already loose and doing its thing.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I thought dragons like Storm can and from what's implied from the NAP the judgements have with the other cosmic entities.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
They've also said that Albion is powered by a clockwork sun:

quote:

The heart of London's celestial empire, illuminated by the greatest feat of British engineering to date: a clockwork sun!

And the map of Albion has the clockwork sun on it, and the rings look just like the Dawn Machine:

[

So I assume that Sunless Skies takes place in a universe where the Dawn Machine worked, or at least mostly worked.

Edit: Another nice thing I noticed on the map--the Prince Consort's Mausoleum. I guess London leaving the Neath ended the Traitor Empress's deal?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Cantorsdust posted:

And the map of Albion has the clockwork sun on it, and the rings look just like the Dawn Machine:

[

So I assume that Sunless Skies takes place in a universe where the Dawn Machine worked, or at least mostly worked.

Edit: Another nice thing I noticed on the map--the Prince Consort's Mausoleum. I guess London leaving the Neath ended the Traitor Empress's deal?

Oh good catch. I wonder if that means the Masters have chosen a Sixth City or if London is still on the Zee

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cantorsdust posted:

[

Or maybe someone was crazy enough to build a SECOND dawn machine.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

We're all Dawn Machines on this blessed day

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I dont know posted:

They have said the name Sunless Skies specifically refers to the fat that Judgments are being murdered . From what I understand about the settings cosmology, that shouldn't even be possible (though being impossible has never stopped something from happening in Sunless Sea). I would guess the Dawn Machine is already loose and doing its thing.

That's probably not the Dawn Machine. Killing the Judgments was always the ultimate goal of the Revolutionaries, it's called the Liberation of Night and it succeeds in one possible future in FL. If you have Zubmariner, you can dive into the giant eye, and that gives you a scene where some kind of alien says it's already started. Then you grow an extra eyeball on your back for some reason.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I tried Sunless Sea again after about a year or so since my last play through and it seems a lot easier than I remember it being (don't think they always gave fuel for port reports, which helps a ton). My first captain died going NORTH but his son is raking in the bucks thanks to a lucky Salt Lion spawn one tile immediately east of London. Hunter's Keep -> Salt Lion -> London with the occasional stopover at Mt. Palmerston for the Venturer has gotten me about $2500 in the bank so far.

Next ship: Go for the corvette or wait and upgrade to the merchant ship? I'm not sure if there are many other good trade runs out there and I know eventually the sphinx stone trade dries up. And it'd sure be nice to get a forward gun since my poet's 36 iron means I have to 2 shot crabs/bats at this point. But I'm not sure if 40 cargo is enough for an extended expedition, and so far I've only scouted about 1/4th of the map.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

GamingHyena posted:

I tried Sunless Sea again after about a year or so since my last play through and it seems a lot easier than I remember it being (don't think they always gave fuel for port reports, which helps a ton). My first captain died going NORTH but his son is raking in the bucks thanks to a lucky Salt Lion spawn one tile immediately east of London. Hunter's Keep -> Salt Lion -> London with the occasional stopover at Mt. Palmerston for the Venturer has gotten me about $2500 in the bank so far.

Next ship: Go for the corvette or wait and upgrade to the merchant ship? I'm not sure if there are many other good trade runs out there and I know eventually the sphinx stone trade dries up. And it'd sure be nice to get a forward gun since my poet's 36 iron means I have to 2 shot crabs/bats at this point. But I'm not sure if 40 cargo is enough for an extended expedition, and so far I've only scouted about 1/4th of the map.

The 40 unit hold is annoying, but survivable. The real gain to survivability and firepower helps a lot with the game's bullshit "combat".

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The increased firepower really lets you go a lot further with less supplies, since so much of what you encounter on the high seas is edible if you shoot it enough. I've gotten back to London with more supplies than I've started with sometimes, especially if I hit up the Mangrove College or Aestival.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
The Liberation is stupid

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Tehan posted:

The increased firepower really lets you go a lot further with less supplies, since so much of what you encounter on the high seas is edible if you shoot it enough. I've gotten back to London with more supplies than I've started with sometimes, especially if I hit up the Mangrove College or Aestival.

Yep, doing a route through Aestival and Mangrove means you will only ever worry about fuel.

Although, word of advice, don't make the mistake I made the first time I made money and bought a Phorcyd corvette and inadvertently bought the Caminus Yards forward gun...the torpedo gun. Then nearly got murdered by an eel and on the way back to licking my wounds hit 100 terror. I can't tell if I was more pissed that was entirely my fault or that this game has a gun that takes up precious hold space to be usable. Seriously, why are torpedoes even in the game still.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

mortons stork posted:

Yep, doing a route through Aestival and Mangrove means you will only ever worry about fuel.

Although, word of advice, don't make the mistake I made the first time I made money and bought a Phorcyd corvette and inadvertently bought the Caminus Yards forward gun...the torpedo gun. Then nearly got murdered by an eel and on the way back to licking my wounds hit 100 terror. I can't tell if I was more pissed that was entirely my fault or that this game has a gun that takes up precious hold space to be usable. Seriously, why are torpedoes even in the game still.

Seriously, just buy the Majesty and use that until you get the Mori.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

mortons stork posted:

Torpedoes don't take up hold space though?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

vetinari100 posted:

Torpedoes don't take up hold space though?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point in development/early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah, torpedoes go in the magical infinite inventory, not the boring everyday euclidean one.

• Locked thread