Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

vetinari100 posted:

Torpedoes don't take up hold space though?

What. Really???

I guess I just assumed....

Its been a while since I played, do torpedoes do a drastically higher amount of damage to make them worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Not drastically, but they do stun the target.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Tehan posted:

Not drastically, but they do stun the target.

Yeah, I always used to roll with the Memento Mori, but decided to try out the Bandersnatch on my last run. It has a higher damage output (esp. vs. ships), but the main prize is the 8s stagger. I was able to kill Tree of Ages with barely taking any damage. The cost requirement is negligible - you can easily recoup the cost of torpedoes by smashing a couple of lifebergs or a lorn fluke. They are also sold at a couple unterzee ports, so you don't have to run back to London if you run out.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

vetinari100 posted:

Yeah, I always used to roll with the Memento Mori, but decided to try out the Bandersnatch on my last run. It has a higher damage output (esp. vs. ships), but the main prize is the 8s stagger. I was able to kill Tree of Ages with barely taking any damage. The cost requirement is negligible - you can easily recoup the cost of torpedoes by smashing a couple of lifebergs or a lorn fluke. They are also sold at a couple unterzee ports, so you don't have to run back to London if you run out.
They're also a common submarine salvage, IIRC; I wound up with like 40 torp components just from finding interesting things on the Zee floor, and seriously considered installing a torpedo launcher just so I'd have something to do with them.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Amuys posted:

The Liberation is stupid

Each man shall be God. Each man shall be free.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Liberty and echolocation for all

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Ah gently caress, I left the Heart encased in ice and it stopped the Heirs' quest. Is there any way to edit that option back in?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
On a related note, does the Cladery Heart ship suck as much as the stats imply? The cargo space is nice but no forward gun makes it like a cargo ship that can't hold a bunch of cargo.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
The Dawn Machine can be pretty cool as proved by Dawn's Law.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Sunless Skies Dev Diary, this one's about map generation and such.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bees, eh? Could this be where Devils come from?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Does the Zub eat a lot of fuel or something? I just ran out of fuel soon after getting it and I feel like I should have been able to reach Mutton Island pretty easily with what I had. I was doing ironman but I alt-F4d like a bitch and am switching to merciful mode since there's no way I'm going back to the start now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bees, eh? Could this be where Devils come from?

yes

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Going to give a restart a crack, actually. From the sounds of it the Zub doesn't consume any more fuel than the ship so it was my own cock-up. Also this was the first captain I've made more than a few hours progress with so I've learned a lot about how play better and get more stuff done on a single trip instead of wandering and waiting for stuff to happen. I could also explore alternative endings to quests I've done and there's been a lot added I haven't really explored since I played last.

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.
Thought it might interest some of you to know that Sunless Sea is coming out on iPad on Thurs. :)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I just finished my second character and I was wondering, if I pick Your Father's Bones as my ambition and I choose the Nacreous Outcast as my inherited officer, can I leave them with the Fathomking and then pick up a new Nacreous Outcast from the Principles?

e: wait no, I'd have to have fulfilled his personal quest first, I see.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 16, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Sunless Seas on an iPad? I've only done it on PC so far but it seems like the sort of game that might work pretty well on an iPad.

DMST
Jul 11, 2006
Our Man in Havana.
I know it's probably been asked a hundred times, but can someone tell me how to get a engaged with this game? I've probably started a character a dozen times and I really want to love it and get lost in the lore but I always die from some stupid crab or starve from no supplies. I try to get my island reports on my first few islands and get whatever quests I can do but even before I can get a good gun I end up dieing and always just rage quit. I heard about trade routes, any good starting ones? Also I have heard about people editing the .ini files for cheating a bit. Is there much harm in me cheesing thtough the game so I can see the content?
Any good combat tips?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

DMST posted:

I know it's probably been asked a hundred times, but can someone tell me how to get a engaged with this game? I've probably started a character a dozen times and I really want to love it and get lost in the lore but I always die from some stupid crab or starve from no supplies. I try to get my island reports on my first few islands and get whatever quests I can do but even before I can get a good gun I end up dieing and always just rage quit. I heard about trade routes, any good starting ones? Also I have heard about people editing the .ini files for cheating a bit. Is there much harm in me cheesing thtough the game so I can see the content?
Any good combat tips?

do not play with permadeath

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Please don't play with permadeath

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cheat heavily.

And do not play with permadeath.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I wouldn't presume to tell people they're playing the game wrong, but I'm surprised to see so many suggestions to play without permadeath. The best moment of my Sunless Sea experience was crawling back home to London with three crew members after getting hosed up by a moray, flicking the light on and off trying to keep my terror from skyrocketing while conserving enough fuel for the trip. It was tense as gently caress and seeing London was a joy and relief, that I could never have experienced without my character's life actually being on the line. Once I'd done enough runs that I could buy a frigate straight out the gate saving to see rare outcomes to events (e.g. On pigmote isle) made sense, but I wouldn't trade the existential dread of those early voyages for anything, and that dread wouldn't be there without permadeath.

My general advice to new players would just be to play conservatively and patiently. Take more food and fuel than you think you need. In your early voyages around the home waters, try to get a feel for how much food and energy your ship consumes per map tile. Use that to plan your voyages--when on a scouting mission to uncover the map, make sure you have enough food and fuel for the round trip, and when half of either is gone, head straight home on a straight line. Make some notes on paper of which ports sell food and fuel (or look it up on a wiki I guess). If you meet something bigger than you, run away, and be prepared to overfill the engines to make good your escape from a pursuer. Keep your ships in good condition, don't be afraid to cash in favours for supplies or repairs when you're poor.

If you want some early money, find the salt lions, they're usually close to London, and do the deliveries there. That will set you up with some seed money.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DMST posted:

Any good combat tips?

Just read a text Let's Play instead. This game is not a good game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean if the game's not clicking with you, then don't try and force it; you absolutely should not feel bad about cheating in tons of money and changing up fuel/supply consumption rates

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Sunless Seas on an iPad? I've only done it on PC so far but it seems like the sort of game that might work pretty well on an iPad.

I just picked it up on iOS yesterday actually (never tried the PC version), and so far I really like it, though it's more a 'chill out while listening to podcasts' kinda thing than anything to actively engage in for the most part - the zee is just too dang big. After a few short-lived captains the game sort of clicked on my fifth try and I'm doing decently well now. Saved up enough for the merchant ship, but after shipping simulator 1887 got boring I downgraded to a corvette so I could wield the Memento Mori and make a living off monster-hunting. Currently farming lorn-flukes so I can save up enough secrets to write Zong of the Zee and newgame+ it up.

The touch-controls are okay, can be a bit chancy during combat though, also a little battery intensive so watch out for that. Don't know if it includes the fancy new submarine content, doubt it though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Megazver posted:

Just read a text Let's Play instead. This game is not a good game.
I get the faint impression you're not a fan

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I get the faint impression you're not a fan

I like the writing! And have vague hopes that maybe the second one will be more fun to play, as they've promised during the second Kickstarter.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 22, 2017

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm still not sure whether it would have been best to just keep the beta combat system in. It was a weird sort of light/range card management type game and I passably enjoyed it. No monsters shooting you cross screen, you had to actually run into the things for combat to start. It might've helped with some of the difficulty complaints, though in the end who knows.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The beta combat system was one hundred percent guaranteed death if you got into a fight in the wrong part of the zee while also making certain enemies like lifeburgs infinitely exploitable as long as you were willing to play what amounted to a clicker game for a couple minutes at a time. gently caress that combat system.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

TGG posted:

I'm still not sure whether it would have been best to just keep the beta combat system in. It was a weird sort of light/range card management type game and I passably enjoyed it. No monsters shooting you cross screen, you had to actually run into the things for combat to start. It might've helped with some of the difficulty complaints, though in the end who knows.

gently caress that combat system. It was loving terrible doing the same fights over and over, because the game still had the same problem of encouraging going back and forth and back and forth through very similar routes, except instead of being able to avoid them completely, each battle took at least half a minute to complete.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Inadequately posted:

I just picked it up on iOS yesterday actually (never tried the PC version), and so far I really like it, though it's more a 'chill out while listening to podcasts' kinda thing than anything to actively engage in for the most part - the zee is just too dang big. After a few short-lived captains the game sort of clicked on my fifth try and I'm doing decently well now. Saved up enough for the merchant ship, but after shipping simulator 1887 got boring I downgraded to a corvette so I could wield the Memento Mori and make a living off monster-hunting. Currently farming lorn-flukes so I can save up enough secrets to write Zong of the Zee and newgame+ it up.

The touch-controls are okay, can be a bit chancy during combat though, also a little battery intensive so watch out for that. Don't know if it includes the fancy new submarine content, doubt it though.

Thanks! I think this is more the game that I'd like to play in short bursts, since it gets so repetitive, so moving it to an ipad seems like it might be a fun idea. I'm not overly worried about battery life, but good to know!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Completed the Zong of the Zee run, and then a fairly quick Father's Bones run after that. Only just realized this run that you can pick both '50% of your echoes' legacies and your scion will inherit your entire fortune, so I'm probably just gonna do that from now on. Wealth seems kinda boring so I guess I'll work on setting up my private kingdom this run.

A pity you can't save the Fulgent Propeller though - I miss being able to FULL POWER my way clear around the entire map in five minutes.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You can inherit the Satisfied Magician and immediately build the Serpentine, though. Passing down that and the Memento Mori is a pretty powerful boost to a new character.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
True, but I think a decently large fortune is a slightly better boost and it doesn't matter much because I just rush for the Fulgent Propeller asap since any other engine just seems so slow after that one.

Though now that I completed the Private Kingdom run I'm probably done with the game for a while, exhausted most of the story content and without that, the game is mostly a very slow Sid Meier's Pirates.

On a related note, I want more pirate games now.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Try Starsector. Lots of pirates in that one

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
After playing way too much of it the last few days, I feel like Sunless Sea kinda wants to be three different games:

1) Open-world shipping/pirate sim ala Pirates!, decent if not exceptional at this part though clearly not a major focus.

2) Open-world story-heavy game where you're just dumped in a big weird setting and slowly find out more about it while trying to carve out your own niche. I actually really liked this part and would like to more games like it that aren't purely text-based (tried Fallen London a bit but it didn't quite grab me), though I think it was kinda bogged down by the other components - and of course, once you run out of content this part loses its luster.

3) Meditative, journey-not-destination exploration game like Journey or NMS, not very good at this part because most of it is boring black water broken up by the occasional giant crab.

Overall I did like it but there's not much reason to stick around once you run out of story stuff since the basic gameplay loop isn't terribly exciting and also has been done better in many other games.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
It's a visual novel

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Has anyone here played a House of Many doors?

It's basically the same game but replace the sea with an endless house with country sized rooms and the boat with a spider-legged train. It's.. also made by the same people and half by the same company and it really shows.

Major differences are combat is ftl-light and comparing the two I find:

1. It's easier to make money and you pretty much never worry about fuel in comparison.

2. The combat is better.

3. The world map looks worse.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A House of Many Bores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I played it and found it clunky, clunkier than Sunless Sea. Writing was decent, but Sunless Sea already pushed my patience with its gameplay and AHOMD was just too clunky to enjoy. It's not moddable either, which is a big deal to me.

• Locked thread