Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I bought this because I dug FTL and Star Control's clever writing and charm, and this seemed similar from what I've read. I figured risk of buying into an early access was not so great from Kickstarter testimony, the devs seem pretty devoted to timely updates and excellent communication/support.

I'm 30 minutes in and haven't even left port, yet I can tell the writing/style is going to be :3: the heck out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I ran into an unfortunate bug that I thought I should inform yous about.

If you ever dock at Wither and go to the House of Questions, DO NOT exit by hitting the "Perhaps not" dialog action, it will cruelly select the lowest most option visible to you, which, depending on your resolution, will be a loss of 100 eurosheckles on a bribe or having your captain go all: HUMBUG, I'LL SPIT IN THE FACES OF YOUR FALSE GODZ and trash the place. Probably not the smartest thing to do.

Instead, exit by the (G) hotkey or the big red X in the top right.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there crossover stuff between the two games or is that only coming in the future?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Uh oh, I think I miscalculated and now I am at the Chapel of Lights with not enough fuel to get to the place West of Codex Venderbight. Is there a way on the chart to see if one port is closer than another?

Or is my best bet to charge off an some other direction to hopefully find some baddies to beat up before we kill each other out in the madness of the dark?

Roumba fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 23, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
^ Don't you get 2 Ambig Egoliths halfway through, at the altar thing?

Shipchat: Does the player have to do anything for the Secure Cargo aft slot thing to function or does it just passively prevent awful things from happening? Also, my deck gun it gives +15 Iron and + 1 Cannons. Can I use this extra dakka or is it just something that isn't implemented yet?

To contribute: Did you know that you can use torpedo nets even if they are unequipped and packed in your hold? I've yet to come across any fish-flinging foes, so big help that is. Neat, though.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 4, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Bendigeidfran posted:

The "extra cannons" is a bit misleading; that particular deck gun equips to a different slot from the other guns, so you can equip an additional one in the regular slot. i.e to get Maximum Firepower you could equip the gun with +1 cannons AND one of the Caminus Yards guns.

But CY sells both Forward and Deck slot weapon module things that would have a higher total Iron value?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I torpedoed a bat swarm.
Obligatory .gif

Talking about this game with your buddies using as many bat-puns as possible is a game unto itself. BatBucks, BatRadar, BatBar, Batzaar. Just barrels of fun.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Is this going to push back the Steel part of the release or will it still come out around the end of August like I think it is supposed to?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
While I wait for the laptop I left my Sunless Sea save file on to return from elsewhere, I've been playing Fallen London to delve into the lore and perhaps gain future goodies in SS.

Feel free to involve me in brain melting activities and assorted debauchery: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ryone~Suliemannt

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there a good guide or equation for the relationship between speed, engine power, and ship weight?

I know higher power burns fuel faster for some sort of nebulous speed bonus but that's about it. Back in the beta days, ship weight did nothing at all so all ships turned and accelerated the same. Has there been much change since October for these mechanics?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Even better is when you lnow you have enough to make it so you tell him to go tow himself.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Well poo poo...

I forgot that the Tireless Mechanic needed an Element of Dawn in addition to all his other crazy stuff and now I'm docked at Kingeater's port along with 14/30 crew in my 28 hull cargoship and there's a Glorious Dreadnaught patrolling the entrance.

Soon, the end may come for me, but I shall sally forth from this castle, flash my Brilliant Scintillac and cannons and carve a chapter of my own into the mythos of the zee.

Edit: A patch! The praise the godz!

Roumba fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
As far as I know, only the 60 second Something Awaits You period stands in the way of rodentine ren-fair recreation and ration replenishment.

That and the eternal shame you will carry for enslaving those poor LBs.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The map-retaining legacy may not be as helpful as you think. Your next captain will miss out on the huge amount of fragments you earn from discovering places and creatures. There's something like 30+ secrets worth of discoveries across the whole map, which is quite the haul.

Keeping some of your dead captain's Pages is probably the best part. I find it the most difficult stat to increase, by far.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Something rather dreadful has happened...

Does anyone know if a second Scion is possible?

Edit: I think I'm on track to do this. Updates to follow.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Taear posted:

So - talking of slowness. Is there a way to get the Zee Ztories and such faster? It requires 77 of each of them to create the thing you need to win as "greatest explorer". I see like....20 as a lot so I'm really not sure how to go about it other than farming tonnes of zee beasts.

How is the 75 secrets required not your biggest limiter?

Stygian Ivory (Harvest or buy at Khanate/Chelonate)-> Tales of Terror@Wither -> Irem at 2:1 OR with a case of wine you can trade 10 for 10 at the Empire of Hands' Treasure Hunter.

If you follow the Mechanic's storyline to its penultimate step, do 1:1 trades of Mem of Dist Shore for Zee-ztories for as long as you keep the Sage around.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Well, 40+7*5 for crafting the 5 auxillary thingys.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The Last Tour replaces 12 supplies with 12 tomb colonists you get to take on wacky adventures.

An Element of Dawn needs 50 supplies, among many other expensive things.

The Chapel of Lights also has a number of stages that require supplies, if you're brave enough...

Otherwise just hang on to them, back up fuel is always nice.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

The Sharmat posted:

How do you get new tomb colonists after losing some? I saw an event for it in Polythreme back when I had a full complement but it's gone now that I don't.

Quite infrequently, you can find a tomb-colonist inside a Zee Creature's stomach. Crabs and Sharks do not a chance for this, supposedly.

The other method is the one you found in Polythreme, where you recruit a bandage-colony to play the part of one of your missing tourists. This is available 50% of the time you dock at Polythreme with Something Awaits You.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Yeah, it usually works by varying the RESULTS of a particular action, but there are a few places in the game where an entirely different option appears for you to choose.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
There are additional legacies that give +25 to certain stats for all future captains. See if you can reasonably complete some of the game-ending or nearly game ending choices in here:
http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I brought like 6 or 7 flares, that was nice.

• Locked thread