Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Time to dust off Paragons and try again, this time with more clarity on what the players can do and maybe an adventure where the players don't instantly die to a single unlucky roll from the literal first enemy.

I wonder if the rules are still up on that wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Let's start pandering early, too.

I'm going to make a bunch of new powersets because making powers for your psychic flying werewolf is the fun part of system design. First five suggestions I get I'll add to the list.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Error 404 posted:

But for real though High Score = Aggro, Tank gets a bonus, is loving brilliant.

But that changes from tracking one HP total for a monster to tracking one, plus one more for every member of the party.

Are you sure this is an improvement over marking?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Kai Tave posted:

Something I've been ruminating on in a 4E context is combat math on the player side. Monster math is pretty well laid out thanks to MM3 on a business card but in the context of designing a 4E clone or 4E inspired game, it's something to note that unlike other RPGs where you can have "a combat guy" and then other characters kind of along for the fight, every character in a 4E party is "a combat guy" just in their own way, and numerically every 4E character's to-hit math should be roughly in line (assuming the GM is giving out free expertise/using inherent bonuses which, y'know, they should). That is to say every weapon user should be rolling roughly the same to-hit against AC or whatever and every implement user should be rolling around the same to-hit against NADs.

So I guess the question I have, thinking about all this, is that if you're trying to make a 4E clone of some sort, is there any reason to not simply make base to-hit math universal for all characters?

You lose out on the glorious scale of getting big numbers, and being able to defeat things you were too weak to even damage before.

For a game the scale of which a single person can make in a month, there's really no draw back.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
So I've realized I have no interest in rehashing Paragons again.

Instead I'll be completing a playable edition of Quest of the Wizard, Dagon's RPG about being aristocratic casters. It will have nothing to do with 4e and ya'll can just deal.

• Locked thread