Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren:PROSPECTIVE GAME DESIGNERS:siren:

I made, like, a very 4e-derivative game a while back so I likely can't submit it to the contest.

BUT if there is anyone out there [like me] feeling like they don't have a whole new game in them, let me know. I'd be willing to collaborate and/or just bounce ideas back and forth, and maybe together we could make a complete, New Thing.

Link to Old Thing.
Link to :words: about Old Thing.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

wallawallawingwang posted:

How important are the 4 roles to people? As a player I really like having a clear idea what I'm supposed to be doing during a fight.

I've tweaked them and clarified them a little bit for my own purposes. In my entry, Defenders and Strikers are both about the Hit Point economy. Defenders shunt damage around to where it will hurt the least (usually themselves), and strikers shunt damage to where the Monsters are most vulnerable. Controllers and Leaders are both about the action economy. Controllers are primarily about making monster turns as inefficient as possible and Leaders are about making the PC's turns as efficient as possible. Put another way: Defenders and Strikers try to make the PC to monster HP exchange rate as favorable as possible, and Controllers and Leaders try to make the PC to monster action exchange rate as favorable as possible.

Rexides posted:

We had a big argument in one of the older D&D Next threads about the validity of the striker role. Since "Make HP go down" is the central mechanic of combat, some of us felt that all members of the party should be able to contribute to it equally. I think that Misandu is on to something here, as all his classes have certain conditions where they do big damage, and the combat mini-game is about making those conditions happen.

You could also have a "striker" role that does the same damage as the rest, but excels at slipping past soldiers and brutes to deliver that damage to enemy controllers, however if you do that you end up with a role that is only relevant when that particular configuration of enemies is present, which is not good.

In the unnamed RPG I wrote up, I went more the direction of "Defenders are a specialized kind of controller" and while Strikers are just "Most Damage" they rely on teamwork. Granted, it should be pretty easy to get your striker features to work (I kinda intentionally made it kitchensinkish, rather than ROGUES WANT FLANK/AVENGERS ROLL TWICE) but basically they go good with Leaders or Defenders... and Controllers (to a lesser degree), but all in different ways.
I also made Defenders able to maim enemies, in case they are for some reason in a situation where marking is pointless (i.e. 1v1 combat)

It's also intended to be played with a 3-man party. Further to that point, "HP recovery" is a thing anyone can do for themselves; if a leader lets you do it, they either help you regain a little bit more, or spend their surges instead of yours. But basically, I wanted to make the Leader role more about enabling teammates, and without just being +X when you Y.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 9, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Asymmetrikon posted:

Roll under stats in the D&D standard range is elegant, but unless you change the way you do other checks, it'll feel a little odd to mix roll-under with roll-add-over.

Alternatively, if you don't give any fucks about "unified mechanics", just do roll-under Ability Mods and use a d6 for check rolls.
You can increase the die size for harder DCs, like d8, d10, etc.
Sucks if you have negative mods, but IMHO D&D should really stop doing that.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 9, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

I wanted to ask some opinions of the thread on my writeup about ability scores.

Do I have most of the issues surrounding ability cores? Are there any more? Do you Agree/Disagree with the claim that getting rid of ability scores would require a redesign of the eight areas?

That's pretty much it, aside from Ability Checks, which come up more or less often depending on the type of game.
As an aside, you can basically include Initiative as a Skill in 4e; it's just impossible to get as a class skill or gain Skill Focus in (Improved Initiative is basically Skill Training.)

The other thing to consider is that while you mostly use Mods for actually doing stuff (as you mentioned CON score matters, STR score also matters for carrying capacity) but they take the mods and add a bunch of poo poo to those to get the "correct, expected values" anyway. Just give us the Expected Values math and gently caress all the obfuscation.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Naw you're totally right. There isn't much reason to make huge attack modifiers and defense modifiers; the only reason you might want to scale them up by level is to throw below-level monsters at a party to have a fight be bigger.

I mean, the whole point of NADs is for people to feat-cheese and make their BAs hit REF or similar such bullshit, which is really just a roundabout, obfuscated "+X to attack, yet again."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Is anyone else oscillating between doing a modest rules cleanup and just using 4e as a base for something totally different?

The game I posted upthread was originally meant to be a mashup of "what might be the classes in Diablo 3" with "make 3.5 simpler and more newbie friendly" since D2 and 3.5 is how I got into the hobby.

Eventually 4e came along, and I was like "hey this works great" so I ended up taking my previous conceptions and building towards 4e, rather than from it, per se.

One thing I didn't like was how 4e has so many numbers compound just to give you your basic stats (defenses, attack bonus, damage, etc.) so most stuff in my game runs off 1 modifier, sometimes 2. I also like the flatter math and Advantage™ from 5e, so I cribbed those and put my own spin on it.

Rather than have the 4e-ism of power sources and "filling the grid", I divorced role from class; power sources are basically martial vs. magic and each one gives you some basic benefits that are comparable in power and utility.

All that said, the game math boils down to attributes and "armaments"; the game is modular in that feats, power source, role, and the whole skill section of the game are optional.

tl;dr It depends how much poo poo you want to strip out from 4e; if it's a lot, you might be better off starting from square 1, and using 4e as something to aspire to (in terms of balance and mathematical rigor).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

On the subject of weapon and damage...something you could consider, I don't know how you're planning on handling weapons, is giving different classes different values of damage with various weapon types instead of saying "all two-handed weapons do X." So for example, Fighters do d12 with two-handers but maybe Paladins only do a d10, Fighters do d8 with unarmed damage but Monks do d10 or d12, etc.

Figure out your expected DPR, map it to the appropriate dice, and just reskin everything.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Error 404 posted:

This.

*Posts Dungeon World*

Serious Edit:

I am down, hit me up via PM or something, I'm definitely in kind of a setting/fluff mode lately, and not doing mechanics from scratch is appealing. :v:

Teaser:

:siren:WORK ON THIS MONSTROSITY CONTINUES:siren:

Be very afraid.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

How do these ratings look? Am I missing anything obvious?
Tier 6: Dominated, Dying, Unconscious
Tier 5: Surprised, Stunned, Helpless
Tier 4: Petrified, Dazed, Blinded, Removed from Play
Tier 3: Restrained, Weakened, Prone
Tier 2: Immobilized
Tier 1: Slowed, Marked (regular, not marked w/defender punishment), grabbed
Tier 0: Deafened

Does anyone know offhand if CA stacks with the -5 to defenses from unconscious?
Why wouldn't it?

Iunnrais posted:

Why is Surprised and Stunned rated as a higher tier than Petrified, Dazed, Blinded, Removed from Play? Helpless, yes, I can see that being worse than Petrified etc, but Surprised and Stunned?

Why is Blinded equal to Removed from Play? I'd stick it alongside Restrained.

Flanked should be rated somewhere on here.

Petrified at least gives you DR :v: and Removed From Play likewise makes you not susceptible to damage.

Alright fine I'll break this down.

E; Done edits.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 18, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Blinded is a little tricky. I can see a good case for moving it down a tier. Petrified and removed from play are both probably a little worse than dazed or blinded. Blinded on the other hand seems a little worse than restrained, the attack penalty is greater, you can't take OAs, can't flank, and you can't teleport out of it. Every once in while you also come across a DM who forces you to guess which square monsters are in when you are blinded, though I'm pretty sure that is not RAW. The only mitigating factor for blinded is that you get to skip the -5 to attacks if you have access to area attacks. So it's in an awkward place of not quite being as powerful as removed from play, but probably being more powerful than restrained.

Bold = false
Technically you can still take OAs.
As per Rules Compendium, Blinded means "targets have Total Concealment" against you i.e. +5 Defense for them (functionally the same as -5 Attack for you) so it doesn't matter if you're making area attacks.

Blinded means you can't see but you can still perceive; you only don't know where creatures are if they are Hidden (total concealment + their Stealth beat your Perception, basically)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Huh. I've never heard that before, but I only have the original PHB and the website compendium. What reference are you using? On the website under blinded it says "The creature can’t see, which means its targets have total concealment against it."

Looking up concealment: "Unless otherwise noted, area powers and close powers are not affected by concealment. Such powers often produce explosions or great weapon swings that don’t depend on vision."
For total concealment it specifies: "An attacker takes a -5 penalty to melee and ranged attack rolls against a target that has total concealment. The attacker can’t see the target: It is invisible, in a totally obscured square, or in a heavily obscured square and not adjacent to the attacker."
Under invisible it lists "doesn't provoke" as one of the benefits of being invisible.

Now I can see the difference between stealth-ed and invisible. You could be invisible and banging cymbals together or something. If totally concealed and invisible are two different and separable conditions, I... well, that'd have to be one of the dumbest 4e rules.

Edit: Though I guess part of the utility of making a 4e-alike is to cleanup this kind of stuff, regardless of RAW or how it gets played from table to table.

I'm just using the Rules Compendium. My bad, you're right about Area/Close attacks :smugwizard:

But as far as I can tell,
Total Concealment
  • Attackers get -5 to melee/ranged attack rolls
  • Attackers can't see it

Invisible (total concealment)
  • Attackers get -5 to melee/ranged attack rolls
  • Attackers can't see it
  • Doesn't provoke OAs from enemies that can't see it

Total Concealment mentions some example conditions that might allow it (Invisible, in a totally obscured square, in a heavily obscured square and not adjacent to the attacker) but, yeah, Invisible is basically "Total Concealment+"

The WOTC Forums guide to Stealth (google "Hidden Club") basically says "Hidden should be a condition, but it's not singled out as such in the rules." Like I said, it's effectively Total Concealment + Stealth greater than Perception.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm curious to know how many contestants there are, so I wanna make a list; I'll edit as people post.

:siren:If you're gonna submit an entry, post your name and the title of it. Or PM me.
If you're already listed below but are dropping out, let me know that too.
:siren:

Author: Title

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 31, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I was hoping to have something along the lines of a 4E lite, but the power had been out and will likely stay out until until the thirtieth.

lovely :(:respek::(
I'm always interested in "4e lite" so do it up when you have a chance and keep me posted!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

dog kisser posted:

Steakpunk is my favorite entry so far.

Including mine!

Frankosity posted:

E: Oh my god, SteakPunk :allears:

dog kisser posted:

edit: Also Steakpunk is goddamn excellent, for the record.

I take absolutely no credit for anything interesting that's going on in SteakPunk
But I'm still :3: about these

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Also, P.d0t shouldn't sell themselves short, if you go back and look at the original system docs for the mechanics, this thing is 1,000,000,000% a team effort, this wasn't just "slap a setting on it and call it good" by any stretch.

Also, even though I basically ripped off all the *World style moves with only the barest of efforts to try and hide it, they work pretty drat well as a Frankenstein monster-ish bolted on wholesale replacement abomination of D&D's skill system.
INSIDE THE WRITERS' STUDIO:
pre:
P.d0t: "Make me a list of stuff you need me to do on this."
Error 404: "Here's a list: nevermind I'm an idiot/I figured out what you meant/did it myself.
TEAMWORK! :downs:

pretty much this is actually A Thing That Happened

But yeah, anyway. The setting, races, Skill/Move system, and any/all accompanying fluff on literally everything was done by Error 404; I was basically just there to teach him the system from the mechanical side and help derive mechanics for stuff he wanted the fluff to do. And even then he came up with like, the entire levelling/Consuming system on his own.

Nevertheless, I'd say anyone who's wanting to get in on a contest sometime, having someone to bounce ideas off of and ask "is this poo poo?" is helpful.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

friends have requested Moar Classes (the Vessel (Invoker/Caster Cleric) and the Bard) - and some of those friends are going to be playtesting 4th Trifold. It also needs some sort of basic intro-doc.

Make a ranger and/or druid. :colbert:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

Given a Ranger appeals to you, what do you want to see it do?

It really depends on what your game is built to handle.
In terms of skills, you can do the forest-guide route and be all nature-y OR charismatic/leader-like.
Usually there's agility and stealth in there, too.

Personally, I come from this weird RPG school of archery where I like any of:
  • Stance-based effects
  • Archer + pet(tank) or other summons
  • Poison arrows and stealth-ish magics

This is what happens when you play Diablo 2 as a non-Amazon archer.

But yeah, I fall into the camp where cramming TWF into the archery class seems sort of odd.
Particularly if you hew close to D&D rules, switching between a ranged weapon and a two-hander makes more sense for when you get caught in close-quarters. Or else some sort of light-weapon duelist thing.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
What might be a good way to recruit GMs and/or players to volunteer for test driving these systems?
Error 404 and I have had cursory discussions about it, I'm just not sure what'd be an efficient approach.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

Your wish is my command. I seem to have killed both Green Arrow and the Executioner Assassin and taken most of their stuff. But I'd really like feedback on this one; no one in any of my groups really plays archery rangers and I try to design with players in mind (my Spirit Warrior, for example, is not pitched so much to 4e players as to the type of players who want to play a Barbarian or Garou and just bring the smashy).

Looks pretty good. what is Create Shade supposed to do?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I did a little post on SteakPunk and (mostly) The Unnamed RPG that a lot of the mechanics for it are based off of, over in the "Retrocloning 4e" thread.

Give it a read if you're interested in the subjects at hand.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

we have completed all our playtests

:ohdear:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Steakpunk
-Reserves allowing for extra turns lead to some inbalance. When we ran a combat with this rule – we did another without it –, the PCs were able to win the battle in a single turn. Without this, the combat ran better.[/b]
-In addition to the above, Razor Wind was a bit powerful. In the same vein, [u]the playtesters felt their characters were underpowered.

Since Error 404 is fielding the organizational stuff, I'll ask about the mechanics/maths/etc.

• When you ran it without Reserves, did you just get rid of them entirely, or did you houserule the numbers down in some fashion? Did the players need to use them for healing, at all?
  • To get a feel for which ways the players felt underpowered, was it like, a lack of options or damage or were monsters too tough or...? etc.

If you prefer, you can respond to me in PMs or in the Unnamed RPG Playtest thread. Probably I'm gonna do a few errata/hotfixes before we get rolling on that game, and the thread is sorta being used for early feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Just gonna address this before I read the rest of your post, since this came up in the other thread.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

We just removed the insane dependent clause that let us use reserves for extra turns. Getting another turn breaks the action economy, itʻs not the same as just healing or the damage boosts or the status effects, although being able to choose from all those options makes them an extremely good resource, which makes the feat that gives you more very appealing.

Encounter Points are not the same thing as Encounter Reserves.
Points are basically "powers" and Reserves are basically "surges or action points."
So, while the amount of damage you can put out/penalties you can inflict goes up as you level, your "extra turns/heals per Encounter" is capped at 2-3 (barring feats or role/race features).

EDIT: Was the Striker having a hard time getting Advantage on their attack rolls? I tried to set it up where any other role could team up with a Striker and help facilitate that for them. I ask because you mention not being able to do anything to improve or focus on your Attack; admittedly, no, there aren't feats for that (or Defense) and that is intentional, for keeping the math easy to balance around. The +1 from Role isn't huge, but Advantage on attack rolls is, and it's intentionally rare in the game (outside of Strikers).

On the 2nd combat, about how many rounds did it take?
Also, how many party members were you using? And what was the composition like?
Did the Defender(s) get to use their mark punishment ever?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

After some time trying to figure it out, I ended up settling on "it kind of balances out" and went with forceful for the better reserves feat. It took me a very long time to call it a wash though, and if it is a wash, then why is it a choice to begin with?

This was a big problem throughout. Every mechanic seemed to lead you through a series of confusing choices that ended up not really mattering in the end.

With regard to this, would it be better if defenses were static? Was there any perceived benefit to rolling for defense?
Is the Advantage mechanic boring and lovely?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Then buff the classes a lot so that the controller is dominating the battlefield and crippling enemies, the striker is an angel of death, the defender is a wall of meat that punishes enemies for attacking allies, attacking him, and for existing, and the leader is in control, giving vital boosts exactly where they're needed. If you need to also buff the poo poo out of enemies to make that work, then that's great. So long as everyone feels like they are what they want to play, instead of being some watered down, slightly better at their thing but still mostly the same as everyone else, generic meat man.

What level(s) did you play at? Did feats come into play?
I think adding feats helps characters either specialize in their role, or else diversify. Maybe I could get rid of some feats and make them into role features? Like the Improved Penalties is basically designed for Controller/Defender, Improved Damage for Strikers, etc. Perhaps make Power Attack/Precise Attack Striker-only?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread