Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Syka posted:

But... my verisimilitude!

But seriously, I'm interested in how you'll do this without a giant headache for the GM.

I've always figured it'd be pretty easy. Highest damage attack becomes the High Score. By default, enemies attack the target who has the High Score. Tank characters receive a damage bonus when they aren't currently the High Score holder, and maybe have some abilities that allow them to reset the score to 0 or automatically take it over at a certain amount.

Man I was sorta working on an entry based around Fire Emblem already, but maybe I'll throw together something really bare bones that centers around group aggro management in fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

megane posted:

Why not just make it flat damage? Breaking a tank class's "rule" (moving away from me, attacking allies when you're marked, whatever) costs you 5xLevel HP, period.

You know what 4th Edition really needed? More letters in brackets to denote variables. I vote/use [L] for the user's level, which would make that 5[L] damage.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Mystic Mongol posted:

But that changes from tracking one HP total for a monster to tracking one, plus one more for every member of the party.

Are you sure this is an improvement over marking?

I think you misunderstood a bit! You only ever track one extra thing which is the current High Score. Write that down, when someone breaks it you change it to the new High Score and they get all the aggro. The idea is supposed to be that when a group of enemies see the Fighter roll up and just CRUNCH their buddy's arm, they think oh poo poo we gotta take that guy out FAST. Then later when the Wizard drops a ton of napalm all over the battlefield they reassess.

It's also worth noting that I'm rebuilding the game around this concept for my entry. Currently setting a new High Score gives you the Spotlight, meaning all attention is on you. Enemies might also have a Spotlight, but I haven't decided yet. Characters who are not currently in the Spotlight are considered in the Cast.

Fighters are all about grabbing the spotlight and holding onto it tightly. They have a variety of active mitigation that they use to survive under the focus of the enemy forces, can build their High Score up with consecutive attacks, and receive massive bonuses to damage while in the Cast. You can try to ignore the Fighter, but you'll pay for it.

Wizards crave the spotlight, but don't have the tools to survive in it. Their powers are all based around getting everyone's attention while in the Cast, then dealing huge amounts of damage while they're (hopefully briefly) in the Spotlight.

Rogues live in the shadows of the fight, doing their best to stay out of the Spotlight as long as possible. The longer Rogues remain in the Cast the more damage they do, so Rogues need to be careful not to draw too much attention too quickly in a battle. When a Rogue finally does get the Spotlight, the resources that allowed them to deal extra damage can be used to avoid attacks and lessen incoming damage allowing them to serve as a sort of 'off-tank.'

Bards are something of the Directors of the battle, they serve as the party leader and help manipulate who is getting attention when. Bards rarely enter the Spotlight themselves, but when they do they command your attention.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Gau posted:

Replacing Clerics with Bards in a fantasy game is my favorite swap. Bards kick so much rear end.

Right? Clerics feel so at odds with the rest of the party, why not bring your own musical accompaniment instead?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
I really want to try and finish up what I've got going, but it turns out moving is incredibly time consuming! Who knew?

• Locked thread